Refereeing

Didn't I read in the thread that Scott Co. made 23 of 27 free throws? That seems like quite a lot. Someone else told me it was bonus in first half and double bonus both ways in 2nd half?

That's true. But there could have been twice as many free throws for the entire game if they had called all the fouls.

I understand you can't cal every ticky-tack foul. But golly gee, at least call a foul when they clobber one another. Or rename the game basket-rugby-ball.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If basketball was all shooting... it'd be one fun game...

[/sarcasm]

Contact is needed for a good game of basketball. This isn't KET.

No, and this isn't kick boxing either. It's basketball.

The NBA style of rough play (which is one reason I don't watch pro ball) is not a good example for high school to follow.

The Referees in the state of KY try their hardest to call a consistent and fair game. That is what coaches ask for and what the referees try and do.

Too many fans love to criticize these hard working men and women without an OUNCE of understanding of the job they are trying to do.

They get verbally abused by parents and fans. Things are yelled at them by parents who would ground their children for MONTHS if the same things the parent was saying were ever repeated to them by their children.

I thank the refs for doing this job, being away from their families night after night, so that we can have our kids playing a basketball game.

For those that want to criticize, PLEASE, PLEASE get off your high horse and get your stripes and contribute to the process instead of wanting to stand outside of it and rip those involved.

The Referees in the state of KY try their hardest to call a consistent and fair game. That is what coaches ask for and what the referees try and do.

Too many fans love to criticize these hard working men and women without an OUNCE of understanding of the job they are trying to do.

They get verbally abused by parents and fans. Things are yelled at them by parents who would ground their children for MONTHS if the same things the parent was saying were ever repeated to them by their children.

I thank the refs for doing this job, being away from their families night after night, so that we can have our kids playing a basketball game.

For those that want to criticize, PLEASE, PLEASE get off your high horse and get your stripes and contribute to the process instead of wanting to stand outside of it and rip those involved.

I agree.

I think what has happened is that there's been so much lip from the coaches over calls that they have almost stop calling anything unless it's borderline killing someone. It's easier to get less lip from a no call than it is from a call that should have been made in the first place.

Give me the 10th over the 9th any day. Some of the 9th guys act like they have never been to a game.

LOL I have talked to a coach that said an official came up to him before the game and made the comment "This is my first varsity game!"... not a good thing to tell a coach... :lol:

But on a side note... Don't we have a new thread on this same topic about once every 2-3 weeks?

To me it's pretty simply. No one is going to call a perfect game. No one will be happy with officiating....ever. All you can ask is for them to check their egos and their emotions in the locker; hustle to be in position; and call what they see. The worst aspect of the ninth region is a couple who think they are the show...and a few who just don't work hard enough.. Beyond that, it is what is ... a difficult job done pretty well by mostly hard working officials doing their best.

In the games that I have seen this season, it would be my opinion that the overall level of officiating is down, and has been going down for some time.

It is not that I think that one team is getting favored, like you see so many fans plead, but generally think they are just weak. I won't say bad, but weak. Most officials I have seen have weak mechanics, they seem to be out of position, which causes missed calls, and generally don't appear to care about the fact that they are weak.

There also appears to be a good old boy network as some officials call the same teams over and over.

I also think there are some good officials but they are so few and far between that they get lost in the mix.

I'm a grade school basketball coach and a former high school basketball player (Just filling you all in on my basketball history a bit). I know from a coach's/player's stand point is that all you can ask for out of an official is consistency. If a game is being officiated "physical" let it be called physical both ways, if its being called touchy call it touchy both ways. Ladiesbasketballcoach said it already, and consistency is all you can ask for.

I'm a grade school basketball coach and a former high school basketball player (Just filling you all in on my basketball history a bit). I know from a coach's/player's stand point is that all you can ask for out of an official is consistency. If a game is being officiated "physical" let it be called physical both ways, if its being called touchy call it touchy both ways. Ladiesbasketballcoach said it already, and consistency is all you can ask for.

Agreed. I think that for the most part the refs get it right. On rare occasion do you see them change from letting things get physical, to calling the touch fouls in the same game. I guess the tough part is the lack of consistency from game to game. Tuesday night, bumping in the post is called a foul. Friday night, anything short of being decked is not a foul. Would be nice to find a happy middle ground somewhere between the two.

The problem I have with the 8th region and 9th region refereeing I have witnessed is, the calls they don't make. I have seen players get elbowed in the face and left laying while play continues. I have also see tripping that wasn't called. I understand this is a tough job and a thankless one at that.

But.....in this day and age with "three" referee's they should be a lot more consistent than they are.

Overall I can say this much I don't think in any game I have watched that their was favoritism . I think the perfect scenerio for any official would be to not be even noticed or to be remembered for blown calls or the lack of not being bold and authoritative enough to make the tough calls.

The problem I have with the 8th region and 9th region refereeing I have witnessed is, the calls they don't make. I have seen players get elbowed in the face and left laying while play continues. I have also see tripping that wasn't called. I understand this is a tough job and a thankless one at that.

But.....in this day and age with "three" referee's they should be a lot more consistent than they are.

Overall I can say this much I don't think in any game I have watched that their was favoritism . I think the perfect scenerio for any official would be to not be even noticed or to be remembered for blown calls or the lack of not being bold and authoritative enough to make the tough calls.

:thumb: Good second half of the post (I haven't witnessed any elbows in the face without a foul call, but tripping is a different matter). Players/coaches should have to adjust to how a game is being called(impossible for games to be called the same day in day out). It's up to the players/coaches to adjust.

Have Any of you all ever refed before?

No I have not "refed"....that is why I try not to say much about officiating altogether. I coach AAU and grade school and I get caught up in the game sometimes and blurt out calls for the ref to make so I am guilty like most coaches. I do empathize with them as well because it is a thankless job...period. Consistency seems to be the key word on this thread IMO... If a ref can stay consistent good or bad.. I am cool with that.