NKFCA Selects All-Star Teams

RomanEmpire

Come on Clyde! I know you have a huge interest in the young man and indeed I am happy for him and you but in the three games I saw him play:

2011 10th grade year 195 passing yards in 41 attempts.

2012 11th grade year in a driving rain storm 35 yards in 8 attempts.

2013 12th grade year 56 yards in 20 attempts.

Total for the three games that I saw him play he had 286 yards in 69 attempts.

Again I am happy for the young man and you and you are correct, the College Coaches know more about the game than I will or you will ever know but I can only go by what I saw on the days I saw him play and on those days.........

Perfect example of the binary approach that I said most fans take when evaluating.

You and most others simply look at stats. You disregard he was 15 when he put up 195. He was in a driving rain storm in his junior year , and he was running for his QB life in his senior year. You can't disregard those three points. That is why I posted what I posted.

Heck, the throws that should have caught your attention and made you take notice this year were a few of his incompletions. They were passes that only a D1 QB can get to where it was. The fact that it was incomplete is irrelevant. One was dropped. The other the kid didn't turn around.

We've seen recent NKY QBs put up school-record numbers and mind-blowing numbers yet they don't get a sniff from D1 or 1-AA. Why? They can't make the required throws at the big boy level.

So the fact you're not impressed is irrelevant. If you put the necessary qualifiers in there it would have been fine. It would have shown an opinion that was at least somewhat based in fact even though you and I(and Steve Spurrier) disagree.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect example of the binary approach that I said most fans take when evaluating.

You and most others simply look at stats. You disregard he was 15 when he put up 195. He was in a driving rain storm in his junior year , and he was running for his QB life in his senior year. You can't disregard those three points. That is why I posted what I posted.

Heck, the throws that should have caught your attention and made you take notice this year were a few of his incompletions. They were passes that only a D1 QB can get to where it was. The fact that it was incomplete is irrelevant. One was dropped. The other the kid didn't turn around.

We've seen recent NKY QBs put up school-record numbers and mind-blowing numbers yet they don't get a sniff from D1 or 1-AA. Why? They can't make the required throws at the big boy level.

So the fact you're not impressed is irrelevant. If you put the necessary qualifiers in there it would have been fine. It would have shown an opinion that was at least somewhat based in fact even though you and I(and Steve Spurrier) disagree.

Big boys are supposed to throw it to their receivers not the other team. :D

Clyde if he gets any help at all while at UK, that is in having receivers catch the ball or linemen blocking, it will be great but if the past history of UK football continue, his teammates at Conner might be much better than what he will play with at UK! As someone who sat next to me at this years CovCath vs. Conner game who has nothing to do with either CovCath or Conner said "The UK coaches love the kid but if he can't do better than what he did against CovCath "D", what is he going to do against the SEC"!

BTW when everyone was going ga-ga over Pike including the College Coaches, I wasn't over impressed with him either and I think my not being overly impressed was correct as far as being a D1 QB! Too many College coaches are too impressed with size of the QB's and not with the smarts and the ability to lead!

Again, happy for him and you! Wish him the best and I hope he leads UK to a top notch BCS bowl game when he plays for the CATS and indeed I will be rooting for him as he is a great kid and I was very impressed with his loyalty to his friends at CovCath after the HHS game. We will just have to agree to disagree and if I am wrong, I will say so!

Clyde if he gets any help at all while at UK, that is in having receivers catch the ball or linemen blocking, it will be great but if the past history of UK football continue, his teammates at Conner might be much better than what he will play with at UK! As someone who sat next to me at this years CovCath vs. Conner game who has nothing to do with either CovCath or Conner said "The UK coaches love the kid but if he can't do better than what he did against CovCath "D", what is he going to do against the SEC"!

BTW when everyone was going ga-ga over Pike including the College Coaches, I wasn't over impressed with him either and I think my not being overly impressed was correct as far as being a D1 QB! Too many College coaches are too impressed with size of the QB's and not with the smarts and the ability to lead!

Again, happy for him and you! Wish him the best and I hope he leads UK to a top notch BCS bowl game when he plays for the CATS and indeed I will be rooting for him as he is a great kid and I was very impressed with his loyalty to his friends at CovCath after the HHS game. We will just have to agree to disagree and if I am wrong, I will say so!

They do not just think a lot of kids because they have the size. Pike did have all the physical tools and abilities to be a D1 qb and there is know way, IMO, you can say he did not have the physical skill set to play qb.

Congratulations to all the players named. Great job to those Beechwood players named and the selectors got it right on the Beechwood players IMO, although I will say Max Shover was incredible catching the ball this year. I would put his hands and ability to adjust to the ball up against any receiver on the team. I thought he was even better at receiver than at DB.

On the Barker QB discussion, he obviously has the size and physical abilities that the D1 coaches want. So did Pike. Using the eye test and not stats, I was not overly impressed with Barker throwing the ball till his senior season. I considered him a better running QB than throwing QB till this year. I believe he has improved a lot throwing the ball and I saw him make more throws this year that D1 QB's make. However, the part of his game that is being overlooked in the discussion are his reads and management of the offense. His work at getting better at his craft and that between the ears ability are what give me the most optimism that he will make an impact at the next level.

Congratulations to all the players named. Great job to those Beechwood players named and the selectors got it right on the Beechwood players IMO, although I will say Max Shover was incredible catching the ball this year. I would put his hands and ability to adjust to the ball up against any receiver on the team. I thought he was even better at receiver than at DB.

On the Barker QB discussion, he obviously has the size and physical abilities that the D1 coaches want. So did Pike. Using the eye test and not stats, I was not overly impressed with Barker throwing the ball till his senior season. I considered him a better running QB than throwing QB till this year. I believe he has improved a lot throwing the ball and I saw him make more throws this year that D1 QB's make. However, the part of his game that is being overlooked in the discussion are his reads and management of the offense. His work at getting better at his craft and that between the ears ability are what give me the most optimism that he will make an impact at the next level.

His football knowledge and understanding of both the offensive and defensive side of the ball are off the chart. Since his sophomore year he has had the freedom to check to any play at anytime and it is extremely rare when it is not a great check. These are not just for pass plays passed on what coverage he is seeing but run plays based on the defensive front.

You mentioned something that a lot of people don't know about Drew unless you are affiliated with Conner football or have been in touch with someone close to Drew and the situation.

unlike Zeke, Drew is a student of HIS game and the game of football. What I have learned over just the past 2 years is how much time he has put in to his craft and how hard he's worked. He has worked out everyday and up before the sun and at school throwing before class, and that was everyday before the season even started. He also studies the game like no other in the area. I've got it from a really good source he's already been studying for awhile now UK's offense and formations and terminology etc. so he will already be ahead of the game before he even steps foot on the campus next month.

Huge difference in Zeke and Drew in my opinion is the work put into the game and the studying and preperation Drew has put in. I think Drew understands the opportunity he is being given and what it can mean to his future, Zeke I never really thought got it and will never get it.

I don't put too much stock in the Maxpreps site info, They have the #1 on the list only having 168 tackles. Jack Sutkamp from NewCath has 209 and he isn't even on the list anywhere!

Maxpreps can a only list the stats that are turned in by the teams. If NCC doesn't turn in the stats for a player is that MaxPreps fault? I don't think so.

This is just filled with lunacy.

His teammates at Conner may be better than his teammates at UK? Come on. Just stop.

As Doubledeuce pointed out and as at least one other coach who posts on here in the past has pointed out the #1 strength of Drew is "the smarts and ability to lead." Heck, he's already the leader of the UK incoming class. Coach Delph at Conner has him prepared for D1 football. Completely? No. No kid is. However, Drew comes in way ahead of the vast majority of incoming QBs. If Coach Delph doesn't have enough cred with you ask Dilfer.

The guy who sat next to you at the Conner game who equated how he and his team did against CCH is , like you, a binary guy. That's the incorrect way to go about it.

You then top it off with being "unimpressed" with Zeke. Zeke has a lot of obstacles but his ability to throw the football and play QB isn't one of them. You weren't impressed yet Saban, Les Miles, and almost every other SEC and B10 school were. What does that tell you about your ability to evaluate?

Does any of this mean Drew will automatically have success? No. We've seen that with Pat Towels (who I assume you were indeed impressed with). You have to have a minimum level of ability to get THE CHANCE to play at that level. Pat does. Zeke did . Drew does. Now it's up to them.

It's inaccurate because there are others that have more takes than those on the list on Maxpreps site. For example, Jack Sutkamp from NCC had 209 tackles this year, which according to that list, would make him #1. So that list is inaccurate, whether NCC reports their stats to Maxpreps, or not.

This is just filled with lunacy.

His teammates at Conner may be better than his teammates at UK? Come on. Just stop.

As Doubledeuce pointed out and as at least one other coach who posts on here in the past has pointed out the #1 strength of Drew is "the smarts and ability to lead." Heck, he's already the leader of the UK incoming class. Coach Delph at Conner has him prepared for D1 football. Completely? No. No kid is. However, Drew comes in way ahead of the vast majority of incoming QBs. If Coach Delph doesn't have enough cred with you ask Dilfer.

The guy who sat next to you at the Conner game who equated how he and his team did against CCH is , like you, a binary guy. That's the incorrect way to go about it.

You then top it off with being "unimpressed" with Zeke. Zeke has a lot of obstacles but his ability to throw the football and play QB isn't one of them. You weren't impressed yet Saban, Les Miles, and almost every other SEC and B10 school were. What does that tell you about your ability to evaluate?

Does any of this mean Drew will automatically have success? No. We've seen that with Pat Towels (who I assume you were indeed impressed with). You have to have a minimum level of ability to get THE CHANCE to play at that level. Pat does. Zeke did . Drew does. Now it's up to them.

I love how you assume it was a HS coach who spoke to me at the Conner vs. CovCath game!

And of course the Kids at Conner aren't as good as the UK players (come on Clyde HS Vs. College :rolleyes:) but the ability of the Conner kids Vs. the rest of the Kentucky HS teams was better, than what the Kentucky players have shown against the rest of the SEC in years! Conner had some pretty good above average HS players but as the past has proven at UK, they haven't had many quality SEC type players!

Zeke was his own worst enemy and my opinion of him was based on more than his ability to throw a football, as he had far to many, as you called them, obstacles to overcome, to be a D1 QB.

Was told that PT has taken himself out of the mix by partying and not working hard. He is another kid with all the tools but has failed to use them, so like Zeke, that is on him and yes I thought of the three PT was the best QB I saw play! PT, Drew and Zeke in that order!

Yes it's my opinion and you can disagree with it, make lite of it all you want but I will stand on my opinion, as is my right, as you can stand on yours and only time will tell who is correct!

It's inaccurate because there are others that have more takes than those on the list on Maxpreps site. For example, Jack Sutkamp from NCC had 209 tackles this year, which according to that list, would make him #1. So that list is inaccurate, whether NCC reports their stats to Maxpreps, or not.

The list isn't inaccurate. It doesn't claim to Be the ultimate list of all stats of all players. It's just the stats of players whose teams have submitted their stats. It's not maxpreps obligation to go and get every p,ayers stats. They are simply listing stats by players of all the players that have HC stats submitted to them. Show me where maxpreps claims to have all the stats from all the players in the state.

Blame it on the NCC coaches for not submitting the stats, don't blame maxpreps. Even stats that are submitted aren't all correct. The coaches don't always have the stats correct, for instance Fussinger had 8.5 sacks this year, got everyone of them on video yet he only got credit for 4 sacks due to the one who submitted them didn't have all the stats correct. Maxpreps simply lists those they have submitted, so again they are as accurate as they can be according to maxpreps. Not maxpreps responsibility to hunt down NCC coaches to ask them to submit statist for Sutkamp.