Possible Wal-Mart locating in West Louisville

All Tell

If the area is hard pressed on getting businesses, then I don't think getting a Wal-Mart is the worst thing ever. As far as attracting other businesses, how many of us can remember we went to a Wal-Mart that was a few years old that DIDN'T have at least a few businesses surrounding it that just wanted to take advantage of the traffic that would come to Wal-Mart?

FWIW Average Wage for Walmart associate in KY is over $13...not getting rich at that but MUCH more than minimum wage. All Associates FT and PT have the ability to get health insurance within
While I hope I'm wrong, at $13/hr, that's not enough to entice someone off of government assistance while they do nothing.

Why did Jerry want one so bad in Shively? Just trying to rebuild that area?

What methods did he use to hold Walmart hostage? Delay's on building permits and such?

Yes, governmental delays at the administrative level concerning zoning and the like. I think his intention was to rebuild the area, with politics never far away from the discussion. I'm not disagreeing with his motives necessarily but when a big employer wants to put a store in your city, you probably shouldn't fight them too hard for fear they'll go down the road.

While I hope I'm wrong, at $13/hr, that's not enough to entice someone off of government assistance while they do nothing.

True but it's not Walmarts responsibility to get a community of people off of assistance, but $25K is a step in the right direction for those that want to improve their station in life.

I think it's a pretty broad generalization that folks in that area of town don't want jobs, even lower paying jobs. There are a lot of great people in the West End. They just don't get the press the bad guys get. I know a lot of people who live in the West End who drive or take busses to the Downtown area, East End, South End, Southern Indiana areas for work. There are others who can't travel that far afield to work for low wages because they have families. Even if they don't wind up completely off social aid, the benefits would be reduced. And after a while, if they progress in their careers/education, they'll be off aid altogether. People have to start somewhere. And more people than most know WANT to start somewhere. A business like Wal-Mart attracts more business, and with the efforts currently underway to redevelop Portland a la NuLu, there would be serious iniatives for more development. This project is CRITICALLY important, IMO. Make a stand later, Ms. Scott. Please. The future of the West End depends upon it.

True but it's not Walmarts responsibility to get a community of people off of assistance, but $25K is a step in the right direction for those that want to improve their station in life.

I think it's a pretty broad generalization that folks in that area of town don't want jobs, even lower paying jobs. There are a lot of great people in the West End. They just don't get the press the bad guys get. I know a lot of people who live in the West End who drive or take busses to the Downtown area, East End, South End, Southern Indiana areas for work. There are others who can't travel that far afield to work for low wages because they have families. Even if they don't wind up completely off social aid, the benefits would be reduced. And after a while, if they progress in their careers/education, they'll be off aid altogether. People have to start somewhere. And more people than most know WANT to start somewhere. A business like Wal-Mart attracts more business, and with the efforts currently underway to redevelop Portland a la NuLu, there would be serious iniatives for more development. This project is CRITICALLY important, IMO. Make a stand later, Ms. Scott. Please. The future of the West End depends upon it.

Oh I don't disagree. But color me skeptical that someone who can have a similar lifestyle with the same benefits for doing nothing to leave that lifestyle for one that requires an alarm clock.

Oh I don't disagree. But color me skeptical that someone who can have a similar lifestyle with the same benefits for doing nothing to leave that lifestyle for one that requires an alarm clock.

I think that the thing you are missing is that there are a significant number of people that actually comprise the majority of those who receive aid that WANT work. There are far more that do NOT work the system. It's unfortunate that we as a society blame the whole for the misdeeds of the minority.

I think that the thing you are missing is that there are a significant number of people that actually comprise the majority of those who receive aid that WANT work. There are far more that do NOT work the system. It's unfortunate that we as a society blame the whole for the misdeeds of the minority.
Maybe my former work address has me jaded. I have witnessed first hand a terrible abuse of the system. I respect your position, you know I do. But I've had employees I paid 13 an hour that decided they'd be better off in the system. Now think about that for a moment. It's the cold hard truth.

As for this Walmart, I hope it's a success. I hope it brings opportunity for anyone who has the desire to take the opportunities Walmart would present.

Maybe my former work address has me jaded. I have witnessed first hand a terrible abuse of the system. I respect your position, you know I do. But I've had employees I paid 13 an hour that decided they'd be better off in the system. Now think about that for a moment. It's the cold hard truth.

As for this Walmart, I hope it's a success. I hope it brings opportunity for anyone who has the desire to take the opportunities Walmart would present.

I just hope it actually happens. :lol: This has been in the discussion stage for YEARS!

As to your experience with your workers, I know that there are people like that. But 13 an hour is over 27K annually. With the recent round of cuts to SNAP, and I am sure more are to come, those same people are going to be regretting that decision. There are a lot of people who live only with the short term in mind.

I just hope it actually happens. :lol: This has been in the discussion stage for YEARS!

As to your experience with your workers, I know that there are people like that. But 13 an hour is over 27K annually. With the recent round of cuts to SNAP, and I am sure more are to come, those same people are going to be regretting that decision. There are a lot of people who live only with the short term in mind.

And Rockmom put it in a little bit more perspective. 27K is around what some college graduates make starting out.

I believe Ms. Scott is one of those who looks at Walmart as "another one of those evil corporations". I will be the first to acknowledge Walmart has warts but in a case like this, a store could offer some hope in an area of Louisville that has not had much hope (economically speaking) for decades.