Possible Wal-Mart locating in West Louisville

All Tell

Heard this on the radio this morning. There is a chance that a Wal-Mart me be taking over the land at 18th and Broadway where a distillery used to be. For those that don't know the West End is one of the poorer areas of Louisville with a fairly high crime rate. For many years politicians from the area have been seeking large retailers to locate in the area. Cue Attica Scott the very liberal Democratic councilwoman from the area. She is now balking at the idea saying Wal-Mart doesn't pay a living wage and they could do better.

Discuss.

Heard this on the radio this morning. There is a chance that a Wal-Mart me be taking over the land at 18th and Broadway where a distillery used to be. For those that don't know the West End is one of the poorer areas of Louisville with a fairly high crime rate. For many years politicians from the area have been seeking large retailers to locate in the area. Cue Attica Scott the very liberal Democratic councilwoman from the area. She is now balking at the idea saying Wal-Mart doesn't pay a living wage and they could do better.

Discuss.

This has been on the table for years. It's part of the redevelopment of the old Phillip Morris plant. Ms. Scott's constituency has an enormous unemployment rate and some of the lowest educational levels. And businesses of any sort are not flocking to settle there let alone major retailers. They need entry level jobs in that area in the worst way. Ms. Scott needs to look into the future before driving WalMart away.

Former Mayor Jerry Abramsom pushed lke the dickens for one to be located in the Shivey area and tried to hold WalMart hostage. WalMart finally prevailed and located their store farther out the Dixie Hishway area in PRP/Valley Sation.

This has been on the table for years. It's part of the redevelopment of the old Phillip Morris plant. Ms. Scott's constituency has an enormous unemployment rate and some of the lowest educational levels. And businesses of any sort are not flocking to settle there let alone major retailers. They need entry level jobs in that area in the worst way. Ms. Scott needs to look into the future before driving WalMart away.
Holy Cow!!!! You and I agree on something, LOL!! Looks like us conservatives are starting to influence you.;)

If she ends up driving Wal-Mart away I hope the displeasure is shown at her next election.

Holy Cow!!!! You and I agree on something' date=' LOL!! Looks like us conservatives are starting to influence you.;)[/quote']

No....I've never been the raging liberal you guys think.

In this particular case, I can respect that Ms Scott wants the best for her constituency. But, don't be short-sighted, Ms. Scott. Build to the higher wage jobs. Wal-Mart pays no less than the fast food restaurants located in her area. Get the kids/young adults into productive work, off the streets and give them something to do besides kill each other (literally). What will turn around the West End is education and jobs. But it's hard work, and a long-range plan. My view isn't conservative or liberal....it's just practical.

Former Mayor Jerry Abramsom pushed lke the dickens for one to be located in the Shivey area and tried to hold WalMart hostage. WalMart finally prevailed and located their store farther out the Dixie Hishway area in PRP/Valley Sation.

Why did Jerry want one so bad in Shively? Just trying to rebuild that area?

What methods did he use to hold Walmart hostage? Delay's on building permits and such?

In this particular case, I can respect that Ms Scott wants the best for her constituency. But, don't be short-sighted, Ms. Scott. Build to the higher wage jobs. Wal-Mart pays no less than the fast food restaurants located in her area. Get the kids/young adults into productive work, off the streets and give them something to do besides kill each other (literally). What will turn around the West End is education and jobs. But it's hard work, and a long-range plan. My view isn't conservative or liberal....it's just practical.

Ms. Scott was on the radio yesterday morning on WHAS with the guy who took Mandy Connell's spot (don't recall his name). He was speaking very similar to you throwing up fact and logic and she found some way to disagree with every one of his points. After the interview I don't see how anyone could not belive this woman does not have much common sense. I was completely blown away. Regardless, I am sure she will still be reelected by his district to the degree of 70% or more of the vote.

Practical=Conservative........:sssh:

Ms. Scott was on the radio yesterday morning on WHAS with the guy who took Mandy Connell's spot (don't recall his name). He was speaking very similar to you throwing up fact and logic and she found some way to disagree with every one of his points. After the interview I don't see how anyone could not belive this woman does not have much common sense. I was completely blown away. Regardless, I am sure she will still be reelected by his district to the degree of 70% or more of the vote.

The bolded should say her, sorry about that.

Leland Conway. It was his show where I heard about it in the first place.