High School Football Stadium Construction Costs

Maroon Beech

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the one in Allen also has a Performing Arts center within the stadium, too….around 23 million worth?

Harry;

The PAC plus a district service center were included in the same $119MM Bond Issue with the new stadium construction, but are not included in the $60MM price tag for the stadium. However, the stadium does have facilites for the wrestling and golf teams under the grandstands. Allen had just approved a $219MM bond issue only six months before approving the $119 MM bond issue. The previous bond issue was to build new elementary schools and expand the high school. The two bond issues raised the total debt level to $490MM! I know Allen is an affluent area but those numbers are numbing!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Campbell Co #'s before construction were estimated at 19 million.

"The board has already approved $18.5 million for the project, and some additional details could bring the approved amount for the project up to about $19 million, close to the limit of what the district is able to fund, Strong said."

Artificial turf replacement is about $1M for a standard multi-use football, soccer, lacrosse type setup. Maybe its another $1M in original set-up. Not sure. Nice track and track and field fixures - maybe another $1M. Home stands - maybe $1M. Visitor stands maybe half a million. You should be able to do a nice set up for around $5M.

Transylvania is completing construction of this new facility. According the article below the cost is $8M. That includes offices, locker rooms, etc. for a completely new build-out. So $69.5M?!? That must be a heck of a stadium/complex.

Transylvania University: Transylvania breaks ground for state-of-the-art athletics complex

"Centerpiece of the complex will be a state-of-the-art lighted turf field for soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey, surrounded by an NCAA-regulation eight-lane track with an all-weather surface. Space for field events will be adjacent. An 800-seat grandstand, press box, and concession area will complete the playing facilities. A new office and locker room building will house coaches’ offices and a training room, and on-site parking will be available.

The athletics complex is expected to cost $8 million,..."

That's come down proportionally in recent years. Unless you're going hog-wild with striping, details, logos, etc, I think you're talking more along the lines of $600,000-750,000 to replace the turf. Putting in an all new turf field (I'm talking fieldsurface, substrate, and drainage only - no lights, stands, track, etc) can be done for $1.2-1.5 million.

If I'm not mistaken, the new McCracken Co high school TOTAL cost was under $60 million, that included the athletic complex which I have seen and is top notch, takes a back seat to no one. Now, the football stadium won't fit 14,000 people I don't think, but I bet for a couple more mil it probably could have, or could have come close if they wanted it to. So yes, $70 million seems like waaay to much money to me.

That's come down proportionally in recent years. Unless you're going hog-wild with striping, details, logos, etc, I think you're talking more along the lines of $600,000-750,000 to replace the turf. Putting in an all new turf field (I'm talking fieldsurface, substrate, and drainage only - no lights, stands, track, etc) can be done for $1.2-1.5 million.

Wasn't there a post on here back in the spring or there abouts about Trinity replacing their turf? At a cost, seems like a remember, of around $400,000? Maybe I'm dreaming.

"The board has already approved $18.5 million for the project, and some additional details could bring the approved amount for the project up to about $19 million, close to the limit of what the district is able to fund, Strong said."

Plant;

How many does the new CC stadium seat?

The Ashland cost was on a web site last year I believe that had a total cost and there was a article about the project and its cancelation due to it exceeding their estimates. McCracken Co just built the a new stadium and installed field turf but I cant say that I have seen cost

The Putnam restoration project was put on hold last year because it came in over budget. The school system is also renovating Verify middle school, which is a much more expensive project.

Obviously the school project is more important, so the stadium project was put on hold. I would expect the first phase of the project to start soon.

Wasn't that for the school addition and the stadium?

Wasn't that for the school addition and the stadium?

I would guess you may be right.

I've not been to the new stadium, and I've only seen pictures...but unless they got one incredible stadium light package, I don't see the stadium coming in at $19 million. I would guess that the stadium alone would come in around $10 million less than that, honestly.

For those of you who might not be familiar with Texas, Katy is a VERY AFFLUENT suburb of Houston. It definitely captures what I'd consider to be Midwestern sprawl, as it's suburbia maybe 15 or 20 miles outside of the downtown core (don't know the exact mileage, but you get the idea). I'm guessing they've probably got some boosters with more money than they really know what to do with other than spend it on a high school stadium.

To put it in perspective, here is some US Census Bureau data on the Katy area. Notice that the median household income is around $67,000 and the average home is valued at around $147,000. That's just in the city of Katy, so it didn't include Sugar Land and The Woodlands, which are pretty much a part of the area and seem to be just as well off, if not better. Sugar Land's median household income is around $103,000 and the average home is valued at around $241,000. The Woodlands' median household income is around $107,000 and the average home is around $255,000.

Right now, they are working on a tollway from Katy to Houston that will alleviate some of the traffic problems that are caused by everyone commuting in to work and then going home (I've been stuck in 4:00 traffic on a "light" day, and I'll tell you that I'd hate to see a "bad" one). If you are looking for an idea of what it's like, to me, the most comparable city if you are driving on the Interstate system is Atlanta. Here's a link to the toll fees that they are giving right now, and for one car at the peak time, it's $3.20 (scroll to the second page), so you kind of get the picture on the drivers they are targeting. As it currently stands, I think the Interstate section they are currently trying to alleviate congestion on is 16 lanes wide (8 each way).

I would guess you may be right.

I've not been to the new stadium, and I've only seen pictures...but unless they got one incredible stadium light package, I don't see the stadium coming in at $19 million. I would guess that the stadium alone would come in around $10 million less than that, honestly.

The $19M figure includes both the stadium and new Area Tech Center. The bulk of the total went towards the Tech Center. I don't have the exact figures but I believe that it was something like $5M for the stadium and $14M for the Area Tech Center. Again, these are just rough #'s.

For those of you who might not be familiar with Texas, Katy is a VERY AFFLUENT suburb of Houston. It definitely captures what I'd consider to be Midwestern sprawl, as it's suburbia maybe 15 or 20 miles outside of the downtown core (don't know the exact mileage, but you get the idea). I'm guessing they've probably got some boosters with more money than they really know what to do with other than spend it on a high school stadium.

To put it in perspective, here is some US Census Bureau data on the Katy area. Notice that the median household income is around $67,000 and the average home is valued at around $147,000. That's just in the city of Katy, so it didn't include Sugar Land and The Woodlands, which are pretty much a part of the area and seem to be just as well off, if not better. Sugar Land's median household income is around $103,000 and the average home is valued at around $241,000. The Woodlands' median household income is around $107,000 and the average home is around $255,000.

Right now, they are working on a tollway from Katy to Houston that will alleviate some of the traffic problems that are caused by everyone commuting in to work and then going home (I've been stuck in 4:00 traffic on a "light" day, and I'll tell you that I'd hate to see a "bad" one). If you are looking for an idea of what it's like, to me, the most comparable city if you are driving on the Interstate system is Atlanta. Here's a link to the toll fees that they are giving right now, and for one car at the peak time, it's $3.20 (scroll to the second page), so you kind of get the picture on the drivers they are targeting. As it currently stands, I think the Interstate section they are currently trying to alleviate congestion on is 16 lanes wide (8 each way).

Are you saying the rich in Katy don't want to use their personal wealth for the stadium or have their tax dollars to go to the stadium? The big notable from Katy is Roger Clemens (sons went to Katy HS). Also The Woodlands is a whole nother area (an hour north) and has some big money. They will also get some big tax revenue shortly with Exxon moving their headquarters there.