Home made bourbon (Against the law - updated thread title)

Fire Inside

Brother, you can make 200 gallons of your own wine or beer for personal consumption, but if you distill bourbon (or any other spirit for that matter) without a permit or license, or even own a still for making it, it is a fairly hefty criminal offense.

Brother, you can make 200 gallons of your own wine or beer for personal consumption, but if you distill bourbon (or any other spirit for that matter) without a permit or license, or even own a still for making it, it is a fairly hefty criminal offense.

Did not know that. I assumed if you consumed it yourself, you were fine.

Is this a state or federal crime? Or both?

To get a permit or a license do you go to the KY Dept of Alcoholic Beverage Control or to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms? Or both?

I guess I better let a friend of mine know who actually distilled some bourbon. Granted, the taste of it alone would probably be considered enough punishment, not sure what he did to that batch to make it taste so bad.

Legal way to make Bourbon at home...

But 55 gallons of LEGAL Moonshine at liquor store

Place in an charred oak barrel and seal barrel.

Lay barrel on it's side and rotate a quarter turn every month or so.

Open in Seven Years and ENJOY!!!

Here is a video how to age whiskey.

I could see this being on many BGP'ers Christmas List.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be) the micro distilleries that are springing up have to sell their product to a licensed distributor and then buy it back from the distributor before they can sell it in their own establishment. That ensures all the taxes are paid on it.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be) the micro distilleries that are springing up have to sell their product to a licensed distributor and then buy it back from the distributor before they can sell it in their own establishment. That ensures all the taxes are paid on it.

During this sell/buy back, I hope the product is not being actually moved, just purchased, stays in the warehouse and bought back.

Here is a video how to age whiskey.

I could see this being on many BGP'ers Christmas List.

That's pretty cool didn't know you could get a ready to go kit like that! About $60 for a barrel that size that is ready to go...but the "Whitedog" is made in Washington State? What in the world do they know about making Bourbon????

That's pretty cool didn't know you could get a ready to go kit like that! About $60 for a barrel that size that is ready to go...but the "Whitedog" is made in Washington State? What in the world do they know about making Bourbon????

Yeah but in the video all they do is pour in white liquor and it comes out bourbon. Shouldn't they be some type of flavoring?