Question regarding Fairview's penalties

sidelinedoc

One of the multiple penalties handed down Friday was that there were to be no football related activities from Nov 5, 2013 until Spring practice 2014. Does that include off season weights? Moreover, what exactly is allowed during that time?

The way I understand it, and this is just from people talking, is there is no "Football activity" allowed. I took that to mean no team meetings, not team workouts, no team competition. If they have weightlifting after school, I would say that would be out. If they have a "physical education" class that consists of football weightlifting, I would think that would be allowed considering it is a school class for which students get credit.

This looks to be the one penalty that hurts the innocent involved in the situation. I know there is plenty of blame to be thrown around and that many new of what was going on, but this hurts next years kids as they cannot lift or prepare, plus it makes it tough on whoever the new coach would be coming in. I am not sure anyone will want this job however.

I think this is mistaken. Lifting weights after school is not considered a football activity by the KHSAA. There are high school wieghtlifting teams all over Kentucky containing football and non-football athletes. It is a non-sanctioned club sport that has nothing to do with KHSAA.

I think this is mistaken. Lifting weights after school is not considered a football activity by the KHSAA. There are high school wieghtlifting teams all over Kentucky containing football and non-football athletes. It is a non-sanctioned club sport that has nothing to do with KHSAA.

I would agree if Fairview had a "weightlifting team". I have never seen Fairview at a weight meet.

I think it will get into semantics. I think there will be no "Team organized weight lifting sessions" etc. There will be nothing to stop players from going on their own whether it be in groups of players or not, just no coaches etc. supervised training is allowed.

I think it will get into semantics. I think there will be no "Team organized weight lifting sessions" etc. There will be nothing to stop players from going on their own whether it be in groups of players or not, just no coaches etc. supervised training is allowed.

Two points:

1. Will "use of school facilities" put the school in violation of the sanctions?

2. Will it become a liability issue if players are using the school weight room without coach supervision?

I agree, going to an outside gym as a group will not be seen as a violation, so long as a coach or school official doesn't "recommends" it.

Two points:

1. Will "use of school facilities" put the school in violation of the sanctions?

2. Will it become a liability issue if players are using the school weight room without coach supervision?

I agree, going to an outside gym as a group will not be seen as a violation, so long as a coach or school official doesn't "recommends" it.

I wouldn't think a football "coach" would have to be present, as long as an adult was there to supervise. Could be a gym teacher, a janitor...heck maybe even a volunteer. I'm just not sure the KHSAA could make this particular issue stick, should someone say something about it.

I wouldn't think a football "coach" would have to be present, as long as an adult was there to supervise. Could be a gym teacher, a janitor...heck maybe even a volunteer. I'm just not sure the KHSAA could make this particular issue stick, should someone say something about it.

I don't think Fairview will push the envelope. My guess is the kids will be lifting on their own.