BOZICH | Hurtt's Actions Contradict Louisville Culture of Compliance

gametime

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Before the Sugar Bowl, the NCAA basketball championship, the College World Series, the football stadium expansion, the new baseball park and other things that have elevated Tom Jurich to his spot as the athletic director other universities envy, Jurich came to Louisville in 1997 with two jobs on his starter-list:

Fix a sinking football program that was floundering toward a 1-10 season.

Guide the men's basketball and volleyball programs through ugly NCAA investigations.

There was fear of a death penalty shutdown ruling for the basketball program because rules had been broken while U of L was already serving another NCAA probation. Denny Crum, a Hall of Fame coach, found his career on the ropes.

Scholarships were cut. Post-season play was banned for one season. Scooter McCray, an assistant basketball coach, was reassigned to an administrative job. Salaries were frozen. But the death penalty was avoided.

No more nonsense.

That was Jurich's message as he moved the program forward from those uncertain days in 1997 to the unmatched glory of the 2012-13 season. And U of L has been nonsense free.

Except for this king-sized contradiction – on Tuesday the NCAA confirmed what Yahoo! Sports first reported several years ago: Clint Hurtt, the most important assistant coach on Charlie Strong's staff, was shoulder-pads deep in nonsense while working at the University of Miami before he joined Strong at Louisville.

And Jurich is not telling his non-compliant coach to leave. Hurtt stays.

Read it again: Hurtt stays. He will have to dance through several penalties, but the pain is minimized when you look at his W2s. Hurtt will forgo any bonuses, but his base salary stays at $350,000. Hurtt will stay even though the final report says the NCAA believes Hurt misled them while he was coaching at U of L.

BOZICH | Hurtt's Actions Contradict Louisville Culture of Compl - WDRB 41 Louisville News

His top 20 football program now has an assistant coach carrying a two-year show cause ruling which means that Clint Hurtt cannot jump to another college job unless the NCAA approves the hiring.

The portion of the article listed above makes me wonder if Jurich made this decision as leverage in retaining Strong, seeing that Hurtt could not go with him if he were to take another college job.

His top 20 football program now has an assistant coach carrying a two-year show cause ruling which means that Clint Hurtt cannot jump to another college job unless the NCAA approves the hiring.

The portion of the article listed above makes me wonder if Jurich made this decision as leverage in retaining Strong, seeing that Hurtt could not go with him if he were to take another college job.

Not sure how Jurich could have made that decision... Unless we are reading that two completely different ways. And even if he did, Hurtt could still leave with Strong, it would just have to be approved.

Not sure how Jurich could have made that decision... Unless we are reading that two completely different ways. And even if he did, Hurtt could still leave with Strong, it would just have to be approved.

I meant that he made the decision to keep Hurtt on the staff thinking that might help keep Strong around for a couple of more years. If Strong were to leave, I'm pretty sure that the NCAA would not approve Hurtt being hired in the next 2 years. So basically the only way Hurtt keeps a college job is if Strong stays at UL.

I couldn't care less about the cheating because I believe it is widespread among the BCS schools. The hypocrisy of Jurich is what turns me off.

It's the main reason I loathe North Carolina basketball. My entire life I have heard from UNC fans about "The Carolina Way" as though their poop doesn't stink, they do it the right way, they're squeaky clean, etc. Hogwash, I say.

I'll ask the question in a more direct way....Do the UofL fans on here have any issue with the fact that they are employing a man who has been found guilty of cheating and lying to "authorities" about it?

It's obviously not an ideal situation. As an "outsider," I can't honestly say how I would handle Hurtt. He hasn't committed any violations at UofL, so you would be punishing him for things from his past. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they let him go, I'd understand. At the same time, it doesn't bother me either that they have kept him. Don't let him be involved in recruiting operations for whatever time period they see fit, and when he is allowed back, monitor him extensively. It's really a lose-lose for Louisville.

When did they say this? And who was the "they?" Was it Jurich?

The part where the final report states the NCAA believes Hurtt misled them while coaching at UofL is the most difficult part for Jurich to justify. Believes is the key word. If the NCAA can get to the point where it goes from the NCAA believes to the NCAA has proven Hurtt misled them while coaching at UofL is where Jurich will probably have to let Hurtt go.

It's obviously not an ideal situation. As an "outsider," I can't honestly say how I would handle Hurtt. He hasn't committed any violations at UofL, so you would be punishing him for things from his past. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they let him go, I'd understand. At the same time, it doesn't bother me either that they have kept him. Don't let him be involved in recruiting operations for whatever time period they see fit, and when he is allowed back, monitor him extensively. It's really a lose-lose for Louisville.

Bert's post addresses this, but he did lie about it while employed at UofL. That's the big issue I have with him remaining on staff. Not sure how they (Jurich) can justify keeping someone who while under employment has been found to be dishonest and untrustworthy.