60 yd FG - Johnson Central

NamecipS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to tyler pack for his new state record kick. Even if it was a free kick it is still defined by the khsaa as a FG . It was a knowledgable and smart move by coach Matney to set it up within the rules of the game. To think that this kid is still a sophomore is freighting.

I believe it has to be after a fair catch but I don't know if the catcher has to do anything else as he catches the ball to signify to the officials that his team wants a free kick. For instance, in rugby if the catcher wants a "mark" (essentially a free punt), he must say "mark" and plant his heel into the turf. Then it is up to the ref to award it or not.

Congrats to tyler pack for his new state record kick. Even if it was a free kick it is still defined by the khsaa as a FG . It was a knowledgable and smart move by coach Matney to set it up within the rules of the game. To think that this kid is still a sophomore is freighting.

60 is 60, no question.

However, if I had 59 with a smaller kicking tee, a snap, a hold, and a rushing D I'd be saying "come on now."

60 is 60, no question.

However, if I had 59 with a smaller kicking tee, a snap, a hold, and a rushing D I'd be saying "come on now."

He kicked one earlier from 58 yes with all that. The kid has the leg to kick it in a normal setting to but the blocking has let him down in other attempts. I feel, this is just me, that with the record behind him we will see more completed kicks from Pack.

60 is 60, no question.

I agree wholeheartedly. If this play comes into vogue, it might dissuade some teams from punting late in close games (at least punts in the air) if the opponent has a strong-legged kicker.

He kicked one earlier from 58 yes with all that. The kid has the leg to kick it in a normal setting to but the blocking has let him down in other attempts. I feel, this is just me, that with the record behind him we will see more completed kicks from Pack.

Sounds like a kid with college football in his future.

I agree wholeheartedly. If this play comes into vogue, it might dissuade some teams from punting late in close games (at least punts in the air) if the opponent has a strong-legged kicker.

If you go for it and don't make it, it becomes a chip shot field goal. It takes an uncommon set of circumstances for this play to happen. Winning offensive team is deep in its own territory, up by less than a field goal, late in the game (or right before half) who has a punter that gets a punt up high enough to fair catch in a position where you can take a shot at a field goal IF you have a kid that boot it 50+ yards.

You kick off of a tee in high school.

D must be 10 yards downfield.

Please set this up for me a little more specifically.

Where was the ball fair caught?

How many yards back from the line of scrimmage did they set the tee?

Defense must be 10 yards downfield, does that mean from the tee or line of scrimmage?

Please set this up for me a little more specifically.

Where was the ball fair caught?

How many yards back from the line of scrimmage did they set the tee?

Defense must be 10 yards downfield, does that mean from the tee or line of scrimmage?

The ball gets spotted at the point of the fair catch, and that's where the tee is set. Both teams basically set up like a kickoff (because a short kick can be returned). The play looks just like a kickoff, except if it goes through the uprights, it's a field goal.

Put an asterick next to this one guys.

This is no different than watching a kickoff. Many times I watch high school kickers sail the ball deep into the endzone and some times even out of the endzone from the 40. That would be 70 yards.

Great job by coach to figure out a way to get the kid in the record books. I'm sure this isn't the last time it will happen. If he's only a sophomore I'm sure Matney will get him a try from 65 or even 70 over the next 2 years.

The ball gets spotted at the point of the fair catch, and that's where the tee is set. Both teams basically set up like a kickoff (because a short kick can be returned). The play looks just like a kickoff, except if it goes through the uprights, it's a field goal.

So the punt was fair caught at exactly the 50 yard line - exactly at the 60 yard point that would give the boy the record?

How awesome is that punter to be able to place the ball right where it needed to be for a state record.