Marshall Mathers Releases New Tune

Clyde

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I like alot of Eminem's work, I did not care for this song at all. Am I wrong in thinking that parts of the song especially the beginning had a Beastie Boys vibe to it?

My son said that he intentionally went "Beastie" trying to get an 80's vibe for the song...not sure if the entire album is that way or not.

I don't doubt that it takes some sort of skill to rap. I found the fortitude to listen to the whole song. Seriously, was that in English? Every rap song I have ever heard, and I will admit that it's not many, has been profane and vile, showing little respect for anyone. I just don't know why we would want our younger generation listening to it. We need them to speak better English and have better social values, not worse.

Some rap/hip-hop may be profane and vile, but the main thing you have to understand about that genre is it tells a story. It is a form of story telling. Most songs have something to say, the cursing, violence, etc. is just used to place emphasis. Most songs talking about violence aren't meant to be interpreted as the artist actually wanting to go out and commit a crime. He is just trying to paint a picture, a lot of it is metaphorical. A lot of late 80's-early 90's artists were trying to get a message out, NWA comes to mind. Even though they had songs that were characterized as horrish, in their minds they were just news reporters. They said since the 6:00 news isn't in the hood they are bringing what happens there to the masses, a lot of people were turned off by that.

Most of the time rap is not intended to be interpretted litterally.

Lotto, while you may not "get it" or like it it's a definite art form and requires serious skill for the elite.

You can't lump all rap/hip-hop together. It's like saying you wouldn't listen to Bob Seger because of a hardcore rock group singing about sex and drugs. It's like saying you wouldn't listen to Alan Jackson because Hank Jr sings about partying all the time.

:thumb:

Nope. I prefer the raps that talk about the struggles and real life issues that those of that genre face. I like the artists styles. I like the music most of the time. But lotto, there are several musical genres that talk about all of those things you label to rap. Sort of a broad brush.

I agree. I like artists who put deep thought into the ryhme scheme . Its an evolved form of poetry which I love.

Em without Dre producing just isn't the same. Dre has the ability as a producer to be brilliant, but at the same time simple enough to let a great verse ride over a beat that doesn't take away from the lyrics. I like the choice of sample here, but there is so much going on during the verse I don't really care to sift through the noise...

Disagree. This was a very intelligent track. The sample and word play were very good. I thought he nailed his purpose.

Nope. I prefer the raps that talk about the struggles and real life issues that those of that genre face. I like the artists styles. I like the music most of the time. But lotto, there are several musical genres that talk about all of those things you label to rap. Sort of a broad brush.

:thumb:

Disagree. This was a very intelligent track. The sample and word play were very good. I thought he nailed his purpose.

Yeah but nothing beats Dre.

Only downside of Dre is he doesn't get in a hurry to do anything, I guess thats why all of his tracks sound so good. I know him and Pac got into it back in the day when 2pac came over to Death Row because Dre couldn't get his beats out fast enough.

Never did understand why he was so popular. I saw 8 Mile because someone told me how great it was. It was not. He is not.

Would I be using an overused descriptive word by calling it a "Trainwreck"? I'm with you on exactly what you've said. What I have dug to a degree about him is his originality and sometimes clever word play. Why his back story was so interesting to anyone is beyond me. I suppose it made you hip if you were privy to the details. Yawn. Common. Uninteresting.

On a side note:

Years ago Em misplaced his notebook full of rhymes at the Cincinnati International Airport. Not too long after that he had an album release. Wonder if that notebook ever turned up and how much of his lost words were salvaged in his brain? That's a lot to remember if it's not yet committed to memory. Anybody ever hear what became of all of that?

Would I be using an overused descriptive word by calling it a "Trainwreck"? I'm with you on exactly what you've said. What I have dug to a degree about him is his originality and sometimes clever word play. Why his back story was so interesting to anyone is beyond me. I suppose it made you hip if you were privy to the details. Yawn. Common. Uninteresting.

On a side note:

Years ago Em misplaced his notebook full of rhymes at the Cincinnati International Airport. Not too long after that he had an album release. Wonder if that notebook ever turned up and how much of his lost words were salvaged in his brain? That's a lot to remember if it's not yet committed to memory. Anybody ever hear what became of all of that?

Because he is a white guy who not only jumped into the hip hop/rap game but he is one of the best to ever do it. Kind of like Tiger Woods and golf.

I'm surprised that isn't the obvious answer.

Because he is a white guy who not only jumped into the hip hop/rap game but he is one of the best to ever do it. Kind of like Tiger Woods and golf.

I'm surprised that isn't the obvious answer.

I get all of that. I'm more or less referring to his family life... his relationship with his mother, his daughter...blah blah blah... it's nothing short of lame, uninteresting, and common. I could throw a rock in a crowd of common street trash and come up with folks who's stories are just as uninteresting.

I get all of that. I'm more or less referring to his family life... his relationship with his mother, his daughter...blah blah blah... it's nothing short of lame, uninteresting, and common. I could throw a rock in a crowd of common street trash and come up with folks who's stories are just as uninteresting.

Gotcha. I know little of his family life. I was highly intrigued by his back story and his rise to one of the greatest emcee's of all time.