Adidas Invitational

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKyB 16s took one on the chin today. Played Brookwood Bounce (Canada), the " brother" team of the CIA Bounce. Team was loaded with size, strength, and athleticism. Bulldogs had a very rough start, but held their own in the second half. Struggled to convert from the field, quite a few turnovers, and all around just out of sync. Best part of AAU is getting to bounce back to play the next day. Mitch Bolin, 6'7" out of Dixie really held his own against the bigs in the paint.

Summer lay-off may have hurt us tonight, rusty in the team chemistry department, but still no excuses. An L is an L, we shall rise again tomorrow!

Hoop Dreams 15U-17U all made it to the Platinum bracket of the Adidas Invitational. Only know details for the 15's. They went 3-0 in pool play winning by 28, 36 & 23 points. Four players averaged double figures in pool play. Also, they are missing forward Malik Dow due to an injury.

NKy Bulldogs went to the Gold bracket and finished 2-2. Lost a hard fought battle by 2. Struggled from the field through the middle part of the game. Started off up 14, went dead cold, fell down by 13 and battled back to within 1, lost by 2. Dixie's Austin Schreck poured in an amazing performance, 28pts-7rebs-5asts. Kid was absolutely fearless in the game. Sean Ross also added a double-double, 11-10. Andrew Hedger had 9-8.

As for the tournament, Matt Mullins of SK added his 6th double-double, Andrew Hedger had two double-doubles, Jaeger Pracht had 11 steals in 4 games, Mitch Bolin added close to 8-8-2blks every game, John Liechty had an 18pt-5reb game, Matt Shumate shot 40% from 3, and Austin Schreck and Dre Jackson led the team in points and asts.

Overall, not how we wanted/expectd to perform, but some great individual achievements within the team. We'll bounce back in Louisville next weekend.

What are you guys thoughts on Hoop Dreams and Ky Elite's performances? I think everyone had high hopes for Hoop Dreams and KY Elite who added several new players to their rosters... Where their performances what you expected or did they underperform?

Even with the additions, I dont think that Elite is an "elite" team. Just my opinion.

As for Hoop Dreams 15U, I'm pretty sure that not only did they not add anyone, but they were missing Malik Dow Dow due to a broken foot (starting SF). Still, I heard that they were very disappointed in their showing. According to what I have been told, they have only practiced once since winning that Memorial Day Tournament and a total of 3 times since the AAU state tournament (2 months ago) and that all of those were practice times split with other Hoop Dreams teams (different age groups). If that's true, what else would they expect?

I was told that they lost to a team that zoned them, but that they never saw a zone in Atlanta in beating some of the top teams in the country. Just about anyone that tries to man that team is not going to fare well. Every one of their perimeter players can create off the dribble and does so very well. Their 2 primary inside players are tough man to man match ups as well. However, if you zone them - like Manimal did - they dont do as well. They have streaky shooters. If they're off, then they're off. Skill and athleticism don't beat zones (see UK vs West Virginia in Coach Cal's first year). It takes strategy and ball movement and that requires practice time.

In looking earlier today, the team that Hoop Dreams lost to was continuing to advance and their next game was vs the Houston Defenders. So, it appears that they lost to a good team but, if they are truly a top 10 team, that shouldn't happen. In a nutshell, they definitley underachieved.

When I was referring to teams adding players, I meant only the KY Elite. Should have made this more clear, and as for lack of practice, zone vs man, and etc. Well..... No comment. This is AAU, so no one has very many practices, and zones can be beat with good coaching. I'll stop there.

I think overall KY AAU programs has trouble competing on a national level. KY teams has great guard play but fail miserably with quality big men [3 - 5 spots] (#1 reason the magic lost today) . It does not matter which team (Hoop Dream, Magic, Mananimal, Travelers [although JJ is quality]. If you watch some of the elite teams, there is quality on floor at all 5 positions. And if you look at top recruits by state, KY does not even compare to Indiana are far as elite recruits. Good thing is KY AAU is getting better. Having the Travelers this year brings some hope but still a long way to go.

When I was referring to teams adding players, I meant only the KY Elite. Should have made this more clear, and as for lack of practice, zone vs man, and etc. Well..... No comment. This is AAU, so no one has very many practices, and zones can be beat with good coaching. I'll stop there.

No, truly elite teams and PROGRAMS do practice regularly. I'm not talking about other Kentucky programs. That's what most people don't understand. Talk to parents and coaches from the DC Assaults of the world. Not only do they practice regularly during the AAU season, they do so throughout the year - even during school ball. If a particular Kentucky team is lucky enough to have the talent to compete with a team like that, they're still going to be at a huge disadvantage - period.

On a local note, I heard over and over how much Manimal was practicing , at least earlier in the season. And, in my opinion, it shows. People have said they "play like a high school team in February" and "like a college team." That doesn't happen, regardless of how good the coaching is, without a significant amount of time in the gym.

Hoop Dreams did not add anyone and were missing Dow. The team that beat them by 3 is in Final four with their latest victory by 6 over the Houston Defenders. As far as practice goes, yes it would have been nice to have had more practice time but most of the players had extremely busy Junes with school ball and camps. Believe it or not I hear a few of them even went on a vacation.

No, truly elite teams and PROGRAMS do practice regularly. I'm not talking about other Kentucky programs. That's what most people don't understand. Talk to parents and coaches from the DC Assaults of the world. Not only do they practice regularly during the AAU season, they do so throughout the year - even during school ball. If a particular Kentucky team is lucky enough to have the talent to compete with a team like that, they're still going to be at a huge disadvantage - period.

On a local note, I heard over and over how much Manimal was practicing , at least earlier in the season. And, in my opinion, it shows. People have said they "play like a high school team in February" and "like a college team." That doesn't happen, regardless of how good the coaching is, without a significant amount of time in the gym.

The elite teams you refer to who practice throughout the year are typically going to be on the East Coast where High School Ball has become secondary to AAU and League Ball.... This is not typical in most States and I know this because I have been involved with AAU throughout the Country for a while. Trust me, this is a rarity! Most ELITE teams only practice with their teams 2-3 times a month, and as I understand it this is about how often Manimal practices. Reason being, because ELITE teams typically have ELITE players who do not reside all within the same city.... Teams like Indiana Elite, Georgia Stars, CP3 All Stars, and the list goes on have players scattered across 3-4 neighbouring States, so how do you think they could possibly get in all these practices? When have players that play at the level of these kids in these Elite programs with their basketball IQ's, they don't have to practice a lot throughout the season. Most AAU coaches will tell you they try to get in the majority of their practices earlier in the season, and are lucky if they find time to work with their teams come June-August because of camps, High School Ball, Football, Vacations, Baseball, and Soccer.... That's a lot to compete with..

The elite teams you refer to who practice throughout the year are typically going to be on the East Coast where High School Ball has become secondary to AAU and League Ball.... This is not typical in most States and I know this because I have been involved with AAU throughout the Country for a while. Trust me, this is a rarity! Most ELITE teams only practice with their teams 2-3 times a month, and as I understand it this is about how often Manimal practices. Reason being, because ELITE teams typically have ELITE players who do not reside all within the same city.... Teams like Indiana Elite, Georgia Stars, CP3 All Stars, and the list goes on have players scattered across 3-4 neighbouring States, so how do you think they could possibly get in all these practices? When have players that play at the level of these kids in these Elite programs with their basketball IQ's, they don't have to practice a lot throughout the season. Most AAU coaches will tell you they try to get in the majority of their practices earlier in the season, and are lucky if they find time to work with their teams come June-August because of camps, High School Ball, Football, Vacations, Baseball, and Soccer.... That's a lot to compete with..

Also in KY once the school year starts, High School Varsity players can't not play in leagues or camps without special permission of KHSAA until the end of their respective season.