Adidas Invitational

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The elite teams you refer to who practice throughout the year are typically going to be on the East Coast where High School Ball has become secondary to AAU and League Ball.... This is not typical in most States and I know this because I have been involved with AAU throughout the Country for a while. Trust me, this is a rarity! Most ELITE teams only practice with their teams 2-3 times a month, and as I understand it this is about how often Manimal practices. Reason being, because ELITE teams typically have ELITE players who do not reside all within the same city.... Teams like Indiana Elite, Georgia Stars, CP3 All Stars, and the list goes on have players scattered across 3-4 neighbouring States, so how do you think they could possibly get in all these practices? When have players that play at the level of these kids in these Elite programs with their basketball IQ's, they don't have to practice a lot throughout the season. Most AAU coaches will tell you they try to get in the majority of their practices earlier in the season, and are lucky if they find time to work with their teams come June-August because of camps, High School Ball, Football, Vacations, Baseball, and Soccer.... That's a lot to compete with..

I've seen a lot of AAU ball over the last 10 years. I try to ask a lot of questions of good teams when I see them. Based on those conversations, I think more of those teams practice more often than you think.

You said something that isn't generally synonymous with AAU ball - basketball IQ. The majority of the players regarded as the best prospects do not exhibit a high level of basketball IQ, at least not when playing with their AAU teams. Too much selfishness; too much "me." Also, with that type of play/player, you usually don't see good defense - lots of gambling for steals and attempts to block shots.

Circling back, the elite programs generally mitigate that type of play and attitude.

Back to the original question- Do you think those 2 teams underachieved and, if so, why?

I've seen a lot of AAU ball over the last 10 years. I try to ask a lot of questions of good teams when I see them. Based on those conversations, I think more of those teams practice more often than you think.

You said something that isn't generally synonymous with AAU ball - basketball IQ. The majority of the players regarded as the best prospects do not exhibit a high level of basketball IQ, at least not when playing with their AAU teams. Too much selfishness; too much "me." Also, with that type of play/player, you usually don't see good defense - lots of gambling for steals and attempts to block shots.

Circling back, the elite programs generally mitigate that type of play and attitude.

This.

Back to the original question- Do you think those 2 teams underachieved and, if so, why?

Team Work, the team that beat Hoop Dreams out, won the tourney. I believe Hoop Dreams played them the closest of any other team in the tourney and I also heard that they won the King James. Based on that I would say that while disappointed in their early departure, Hoop Dreams U15 did not underachieve.

Team Work, the team that beat Hoop Dreams out, won the tourney. I believe Hoop Dreams played them the closest of any other team in the tourney and I also heard that they won the King James. Based on that I would say that while disappointed in their early departure, Hoop Dreams U15 did not underachieve.

Granted, I didn't see what happened but, from what I was told by someone close to the program, Hoop Dreams led the whole first half and much of the second. More importantly, they were up 5 points with the ball and 2 minutes left, and with the other team playing zone. Yet they continued to force the issue. So, it sounds to me like they should've won that game. and when you dont win a game that you should have, I believe you have underachieved. Again, it comes down to basketball IQ.

Granted, I didn't see what happened but, from what I was told by someone close to the program, Hoop Dreams led the whole first half and much of the second. More importantly, they were up 5 points with the ball and 2 minutes left, and with the other team playing zone. Yet they continued to force the issue. So, it sounds to me like they should've won that game. and when you dont win a game that you should have, I believe you have underachieved. Again, it comes down to basketball IQ.

Hoop Dreams is really good. If they had Dow, this conversation probably wouldn't be happening. It would be nice to see them with a pure PG to help free Gooden up. He's such a good scorer that he almost defers too much to get everyone involved. That's a team full of studs. Hopefully they stay together.

Hoop Dreams is really good. If they had Dow, this conversation probably wouldn't be happening. It would be nice to see them with a pure PG to help free Gooden up. He's such a good scorer that he almost defers too much to get everyone involved. That's a team full of studs. Hopefully they stay together.[/

I agree regarding Dow. Given it was a 3 point loss, I'm confident he would've made more of a difference than that!

I too think they would be better if Gooden was off ball. However, there are at least 3 other kids on that team that play PG for their high school teams - maybe more than that. Some play PG at varying times for this team but Gooden is their PG most of the time. So, it's not as if they don't have that option. Gooden can be a prolific scorer and should be used as their go to guy IMO. That would work best if he was off ball - in terms of both him scoring and in terms of getting everyone else more involved. Based on the times Ive seen them play, Id have to disagree that he defers too much.I like my PG to be a "pass first" player, and he certainly isnt that. Nor should he be, but that creates a problem when you put him at PG. With 3 others that are capable, I'm not sure why they don't choose to run it that way.

Caught the 17U championship game on ESPN last night and was very disappointed in the game. I wouldn't consider Indy Ice to be an elite team and they mopped the floor with the boys from Virginia.

I tried to watch this Sunday afternoon at 2:00. Yes, they blew them out big time. 45 points I believe.

Hoop Dreams is really good. If they had Dow, this conversation probably wouldn't be happening. It would be nice to see them with a pure PG to help free Gooden up. He's such a good scorer that he almost defers too much to get everyone involved. That's a team full of studs. Hopefully they stay together.

I hope HD 15's bounce in Orlando. There will be very tough competition down there. We even have the Atlanta Celtics in our pool. Pool play starts tomorrow.

Granted, I'm a little biased, but this team is so good when they are hitting on all cylinders like they did in Atlanta. I was there for that and they got better every single game. They looked really, really good.. They played as a team. They all played well which is what it takes to beat the caliber of teams they beat in Atlanta to win it ( and will face in Orlando).

And yes I think they are loaded as well. Two freshmen already with D1 offers (Goodin and Williams) and another with a lot of contact from D1 schools. Another 2 to 3 players that have an opportunity to have their education paid for via a basketball scholarship as well if they continue to develop. If the core sticks together over the next 2 years, they can be an elite team.

From what I hear, this team will be splitting up next season...

It's AAU basketball so anything is possible. That said, as of right now, that seems highly unlikely. There could always be a player coming and a player going but the core group has been with Mike Scott for a long time. There have been a couple of major additions the last couple of years and it has worked out very well for those players.

Time will tell. There are always changes but I cannot see the team "splitting up."

The core group may have been together for a while but the players who make the team a Top 25 team have not... I know you are a player on the teams Father so you hope they stay together, but from what I saw, it benefits y'all if they leave. Your son could get significant playing time for most other AAU teams. He spent get the playing time or looks from college coaches he deserves playing the limited minutes he does right now with HD... But he... What do I know?

The core group may have been together for a while but the players who make the team a Top 25 team have not... I know you are a player on the teams Father so you hope they stay together, but from what I saw, it benefits y'all if they leave. Your son could get significant playing time for most other AAU teams. He spent get the playing time or looks from college coaches he deserves playing the limited minutes he does right now with HD... But he... What do I know?

I'd love to know your motive for stirring up unnecessary trouble.