Daft Punk

I've never been much of an electronica/dance music fan, finding myself positively indifferent toward uber-producer-type acts such as Moby, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, BT and the like over the years. Same goes for Daft Punk. I've been aware of them over the years, but never really paid close enough attention to get any deeper than hearing their stuff at a club or something.

But since I've caught myself being a regular listener to programs such as NPR's All Songs Considered podcast, as well as Sound Opinions -- both excellent programs, by the way -- I've had a chance to hear a lot more of Daft Punk's stuff than ever before, especially the current album, "Random Access Memories," which incorporates something of an homage to disco in it. I like it, and am thinking about getting it.

Any fans out there who can share any more information about these guys and their experiences with their albums? Historically, I've been kind of from the Eminem line of thinking of "nobody listens to techno," but have found myself re-evaluating that stance the more I hear of this record.

And no, I don't care what they look like under the helmets. :lol2:

Don't know if you can consider it house or electronica, it's really a genre all of its own. But if you have warmed up to Daft Punk take a look into the artist Pretty Lights. He has an amazing live show and he produces tracks that mix a wide variety of genres into one production. Has some pretty good stuff, he always released a lot of free music on his website but just put out an album in which he recorded all the instrumentation for the entire album. Very talented artist although most people wouldn't view electronic based music as talent.

Been listening to Daft Punk for years. I'm a big fan. Listened to the "Discovery" album A LOT in college. "One More Time", "Digital Love", and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" all still get serious time in my playlists.

I'm a closet electronica geek from way back. In fact, The Prodigy's The Fat Of The Land is one of my favorite albums to have been released in my lifetime...forreal. I don't have a particular electronica genre that I stick to (e.g. - house, ambient, breakbeat, trance, glitch, krautrock, trip-hop), so my list of favorites is pretty wide-reaching: Orbital, MSTRKRFT, Brian Eno, Burial, Leftfield, Portishead, Justice, Flying Lotus, Aphex Twin, The Streets, Four Tet, and Soulwax.

Daft Punk, along with most of the artists Jim mentioned (LCD Soundsystem, Moby, Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack) all have some songs that I REALLY like, but I wouldn't say that I'm nearly as in to those I listed earlier. I could probably make a "greatest hits" mixtape of the really good songs by the group of artists on the list mentioned by Jim, whereas most of the artists I mentioned would need at very minimum a greatest hits list of their own. I could post a sampling of YouTube videos for reference...but it may take a while before I manage to stop.

I'm a closet electronica geek from way back. In fact, The Prodigy's The Fat Of The Land is one of my favorite albums to have been released in my lifetime...forreal.

I remember seeing the video for Firestarter on MTV back in 1996 and being blown away. I'd never heard or seen anything like it.

I don't know if this is the same classification or not, but Jimmy Falla, 1st baseman for USF, had this Skorge remix of AWOLNATION's Sail as his theme music when he came to bat. I'm mesmerized by it and I don't know why. When he came up the booth would start the song at about 20 seconds in. Made for a great intro.

I don't know if this is the same classification or not, but Jimmy Falla, 1st baseman for USF, had this Skorge remix of AWOLNATION's Sail as his theme music when he came to bat. I'm mesmerized by it and I don't know why. When he came up the booth would start the song at about 20 seconds in. Made for a great intro.

I'm not really familiar with Skorge, but from listening to that remix, it's pretty straight up and down electro-house (see Skrillex, deadmau5). Definitely a sub-genre of electronica.