Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Don't like your final grade? Then sue. This student did

Featured Replies

Graduate student Megan Thode wasn't happy about the C-plus she received for one class, saying the mediocre grade kept her from getting her desired degree and becoming a licensed therapist — and, as a result, cost her $1.3 million in lost earnings.

 

Now Thode is suing her professor and Lehigh University in Bethlehem, claiming monetary damages and seeking a grade change.

 

A judge is hearing testimony in the case this week in Northampton County Court. Lehigh and the professor contend her lawsuit is without merit. Northampton County Judge Emil Giordano declined to dismiss the suit Wednesday, ruling that there was enough evidence for the suit to proceed, according to The (Easton) Express-Times.

 

Don't like your final grade? Then sue. This student did - Business on NBCNews.com

  • Replies 36
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Talk about a slippery slope...

If I was a professor, a student would have to be waaaaaay out of line to get a zero in participation. I wonder how they are going to prove anything?

She's an "A" student who got a "C-" in this class because of a zero in participation despite the fact that she was there every day? Assuming all of that is true (which is, of course, still up for debate), then something very strange happened here.

 

Normally I'd hate this sort of thing, but if her story is true, then I'm very curious to see where this goes.

She's an "A" student who got a "C-" in this class because of a zero in participation despite the fact that she was there every day? Assuming all of that is true (which is, of course, still up for debate), then something very strange happened here.

 

Normally I'd hate this sort of thing, but if her story is true, then I'm very curious to see where this goes.

 

There could be some rational basis for the grade as some professors grade on quality of the participation. If the student was disruptive or nonsensical then they might have earned such a low grade, though a zero seems suspect. What interests me though is that I believe most universities have some sort of internal system for handling these sorts of disputes that shield it from litigation. I wonder if this student had challenged their grade through the university's process and lost or if they immediately went to the courts.

Sad thing is she went to school there free as her father is a professor.

I wonder if this student had challenged their grade through the university's process and lost or if they immediately went to the courts.

 

That's a very good question.

This may require universities, if they don't already, to have a grade appeals process. There was one class in particular in undergraduate that I should have appealed and didn't. My evidence was the hot girl that copied my workpapers got a higher grade on them than I did. Thus, I always encouraged my kids to not be afraid to discuss grades respectfully with their professors. Lastly, I would think there would be some statute of limitations on the time to file a suit for a bad grade. This will be interesting.

Most classes I had in college didn't include attendance into participation grades. If you just sat there quiet every day, you'd get a bad grade.

 

One of my poly-sci classes had a system where each day the teacher would take tally of how many times each student participated....Each day was worth 5 points towards the overall participation grade. If you said nothing the entire year, you'd have a zero.

There could be some rational basis for the grade as some professors grade on quality of the participation. If the student was disruptive or nonsensical then they might have earned such a low grade, though a zero seems suspect. What interests me though is that I believe most universities have some sort of internal system for handling these sorts of disputes that shield it from litigation. I wonder if this student had challenged their grade through the university's process and lost or if they immediately went to the courts.

 

I think this bring ups another issue of Universities making participation or class attendance a part of the grade. I've always found that to be crazy. If a student can do the work and get an A that is all that matters. Interacting in a classroom with a proffesor who probably has never had a job in the real world won't do much for me once I graduate.

Most classes I had in college didn't include attendance into participation grades. If you just sat there quiet every day, you'd get a bad grade.

 

One of my poly-sci classes had a system where each day the teacher would take tally of how many times each student participated....Each day was worth 5 points towards the overall participation grade. If you said nothing the entire year, you'd have a zero.

 

Proffesors power trips annoy me. This is a crazy way to grade someone enrolled in college.

I think this bring ups another issue of Universities making participation or class attendance a part of the grade. I've always found that to be crazy. If a student can do the work and get an A that is all that matters. Interacting in a classroom with a proffesor who probably has never had a job in the real world won't do much for me once I graduate.

 

This comment is just ridiculous. Most college professors were highly successful people in successful companies or are currently in those positions while they're teaching.

Proffesors power trips annoy me. This is a crazy way to grade someone enrolled in college.

 

Easily the best class I ever took in college. Learned far more in that one class than in any other college course. In a poly-sci course, a majority of the learning occurs through discussion and sharing of thoughts and ideas. If you aren't participating in a poly-sci course, you aren't learning a darn thing. Just wish more classes graded that way.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.