Greatest Concert Films

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I remember reading his mic wasn't on for several of the songs, yet he is filmed signing passionately throughout them as though his voice were carrying them. Can't say I care for Robbie Robertson.

Actually, Robbie Robertson's mic was never turned on for any of their performances. It was part of their "we all sing and we don't have a front-man" deal. Everyone - including Robbie - knew full well that his voice wasn't very good, so their sound guy was instructed to mute his mic during the songs, and un-mute it between songs for banter.

Another interesting point about Robbie's mic - The Band's Woodstock set was never released because nobody on the sound crew at Woodstock didn't know to mute his mic during their songs, and the recording of the entire set was "ruined" by the sound of Robbie's voice. It would appear that that set was sent off to the same mysterious audio vault that holds the E-Street Band's sessions from Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska.

Seems like I remember reading his mic wasn't on for several of the songs, yet he is filmed signing passionately throughout them as though his voice were carrying them. Can't say I care for Robbie Robertson.

My Praise Band does the same thing to me. :)

There is a Youtube video somewhere of The Band singing "The Weight." In it, the mic for Robbie is left on and as the camera swings in to Levon Helm he is seen yelling to a guy off stage: "Turn that **** mic off!"

Gimmie Shelter is great for the event of Altamont but for the music, it lacks in some places to me.

If you like Neil Young, "Live Rust" is a must.

But "The Last Waltz" is my favorite. Stop and watch it everytime I run across the thing.

Prince and the Revolution, recorded at the Carrier Dome in '85. Prince gets a bum rap in my book, but this is a great concert vid.

Pink, from the Funhouse tour. Recorded in Sidney.

Elton John, Live at Madison Square Garden.

Pink Floyd Live at Pompei

Jimi Hendrix Live at Woodstock

Black Label Society Doom Troopin

Nirvana Live Tonight Sold Out

Led Zeppelin box set (the one with the desert scenery on the cover, has four or five different shows)

There's many more I can't remember right now, been sitting in a conference room all week while corporate auditors are here and by now I am almost brain dead. First chance I've had to do something thats not related to the audit, what better to do than post some bgps. I used to be obsessed with concert DVD's, I have ammased quite the collection over the years. Waiting on Tool to eventually put out a live dvd but I doubt it happens as Maynard (lead singer) has compared a Tool show to a picture of the grand canyon. He summed it up pretty much asking a reporter have you seen a picture of the grand canyon? Reporter responds yes. Maynard then asks if he has ever been to the grand canyon in which the reporter says no, Maynard then explains its not the same and that you have to experience it in person to get the entire experience, same as a Tool concert. After attending one earlier in the year he is right, the bootleg videos on youtube do not do the live experience justice but they are still cool to watch, by far best live show going. The band is pretty anal about recording though, they check you for phones and cameras at the door and cameras aren't allowed and they tell you not to record video, if you record during the concert security may throw you out.