Greatest Concert Films

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own four. I own them for a reason: they're awesome.

Woodstock

Monterrey Pop

Stop Making Sense

Dave Chappelle's Block Party

I wish I knew more about this genre but I haven't seen a whole lot of them.

Amazon has this on sale for $3.66 right now. I have a Prime account...bought it without reading one thing besides "recommended by Getslow".

Can you shed some more light on these two?

Stop Making Sense is a Jonathan-Demme-directed film of a series of Talking Heads concerts over three consecutive nights in 1983. It's a really fun stage show and it's basically all the best of those early Talking Heads songs.

Dave Chappelle's Block Party... two words: Fugees. Reunion. If that doesn't do enough for you, then I'll tell you that it's film of a show that Chappelle put on in Brooklyn in 2004. If you're a fan of hip-hop or newer soul at all, then the music is INCREDIBLE. Fugees, Mos Def, The Roots, Dead Prez, Kanye West, Talib Kweli, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Big Daddy Kane... and that's just the start. It's directed by Michel Gondry, who is awesome.

A funny story about the first screening of The Last Waltz...shown privately to the members of The Band and a selected handful of the guests that played in the concert two years prior:

Robbie Robertson, who was sharing an apartment with Martin Scorcese at the time (both were estranged from their current wives), decided to disband The Band for what he thought were better solo prospects by having a big show with all of their friends and having his famous roommate film it. His bandmates begrudgingly agreed, after seeing no way to keep The Band together. The concert took place on Thanksgiving Day, 1976, and after over a year of editing, adding additional performaces, overdubbing (on most songs, the only original live sound used was Levon Helm's drums and vocals), and interviews conducted months after the fact, Scorcese invited everyone for a first screening in the theaters. Levon sat rows away from Robertson, as they hadn't been on speaking terms since the concert, and as the credits rolled at the end, most of the movie-goers sat fully aware that the great concert had been egotistically turned into a love-fest for Robbie. Everyone was silent until Ronnie Hawkins yelled out to Garth Hudson (the quiet, introverted, and all-around strangest band member) "Don't fret, Garth...at least they got a lot of pictures of Robbie!"

A funny story about the first screening of The Last Waltz...shown privately to the members of The Band and a selected handful of the guests that played in the concert two years prior:

Robbie Robertson, who was sharing an apartment with Martin Scorcese at the time (both were estranged from their current wives), decided to disband The Band for what he thought were better solo prospects by having a big show with all of their friends and having his famous roommate film it. His bandmates begrudgingly agreed, after seeing no way to keep The Band together. The concert took place on Thanksgiving Day, 1976, and after over a year of editing, adding additional performaces, overdubbing (on most songs, the only original live sound used was Levon Helm's drums and vocals), and interviews conducted months after the fact, Scorcese invited everyone for a first screening in the theaters. Levon sat rows away from Robertson, as they hadn't been on speaking terms since the concert, and as the credits rolled at the end, most of the movie-goers sat fully aware that the great concert had been egotistically turned into a love-fest for Robbie. Everyone was silent until Ronnie Hawkins yelled out to Garth Hudson (the quiet, introverted, and all-around strangest band member) "Don't fret, Garth...at least they got a lot of pictures of Robbie!"

Seems like I remember reading his mic wasn't on for several of the songs, yet he is filmed signing passionately throughout them as though his voice were carrying them. Can't say I care for Robbie Robertson.

Stop Making Sense is a Jonathan-Demme-directed film of a series of Talking Heads concerts over three consecutive nights in 1983. It's a really fun stage show and it's basically all the best of those early Talking Heads songs.

Dave Chappelle's Block Party... two words: Fugees. Reunion. If that doesn't do enough for you, then I'll tell you that it's film of a show that Chappelle put on in Brooklyn in 2004. If you're a fan of hip-hop or newer soul at all, then the music is INCREDIBLE. Fugees, Mos Def, The Roots, Dead Prez, Kanye West, Talib Kweli, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Big Daddy Kane... and that's just the start. It's directed by Michel Gondry, who is awesome.

LOVE that lineup. Very glad I ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation.