Maryland and Rutgers Moving To Big 10?

gametime

I was reading on twitter some were questioning Rutgers because the NY market is more pro sport driven, not college. Darren Rovell's point was to pick up a Sunday newspaper and see where Rutgers is located within the New York / New Jersey area.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what does the Big Ten going to gain to their brand by adding Maryland and Rutgers? Yes I know Baltimore/DC, New York/New Jersey media markets but really? How big of a following does Rutgers have? They have been successful recently in football but even with that said they haven't won their (weak) conference. Maryland hasn't been relevent in any sport in nearly a decade.

Rutgers isn't drawing a lot of eyes to TV or newspapers in NY/NJ.

I was reading on twitter some were questioning Rutgers because the NY market is more pro sport driven, not college. Darren Rovell's point was to pick up a Sunday newspaper and see where Rutgers is located within the New York / New Jersey area.

That's the other side of this "markets" equation. I'll never forget that Fiesta Bowl where UConn showed up with only 3,200 fans.

Rutgers isn't drawing a lot of eyes to TV or newspapers in NY/NJ.

That's not necessarily true . It's their hope and the key to making it worthwhile but it's far from a certainty.

But the potential is there, which seems to be more than enough for conferences to pluck these teams up.

Pitino was begging for the ACC to come after UL today in his presser.

If U Conn goes to the ACC, you would think they would like to add another school to get them to 16 members. UC or UL is going to get left out if U Conn goes in. Which since this is about TV, U Conn is going in over UC and/or UL.

If U Conn goes to the ACC, you would think they would like to add another school to get them to 16 members. UC or UL is going to get left out if U Conn goes in. Which since this is about TV, U Conn is going in over UC and/or UL.

I don't think they want an even number. With Notre Dame in for basketball only, losing Maryland drops them to 13 teams. Adding two means an odd number in divisions for football. They likely would add 1 (Connecticut).

I don't think they want an even number. With Notre Dame in for basketball only, losing Maryland drops them to 13 teams. Adding two means an odd number in divisions for football. They likely would add 1 (Connecticut).

Correct. Now we wait on FSU and maybe GTech/Clemson to bolt as well...