Lee Co?

Who is their biggest competition to stop them from going to Rupp and how many times have they been in the Sweet 16?

Several teams can potentially beat Lee County as easily as Lee County can beat them. In other words, for example, I think that Jackson City can just as easily beat Lee Co. in the first round of the All A as that Lee County can beat Jackson City. Both are terrific teams who play with all their hearts. I think Lee County has a great team; but several other schools have comprable teams. This should make for an exciting post season, as so many schools are actually competitive this year.

I'm not sure how many times Lee has been to the Sweet 16 but I am trying to find out. I know if they have been it has been well before my time.

Several teams can potentially beat Lee County as easily as Lee County can beat them. In other words, for example, I think that Jackson City can just as easily beat Lee Co. in the first round of the All A as that Lee County can beat Jackson City. Both are terrific teams who play with all their hearts. I think Lee County has a great team; but several other schools have comprable teams. This should make for an exciting post season, as so many schools are actually competitive this year.

I'm not sure how many times Lee has been to the Sweet 16 but I am trying to find out. I know if they have been it has been well before my time.

Twice, once making the final four before losing by one I believe!

I think Leslie is the favorite with PCC, Jackson City, June Buchanan, Hazard, LCC and Lee all bunched together and any one could win the region. As with any champinship you need a few breaks along the way, no injuries, hot outside shooting, and a few good bounces and anything could happen. My heart is with Lee County and I,ll take my chances with these young men.

Twice, once making the final four before losing by one I believe!

I think Leslie is the favorite with PCC, Jackson City, June Buchanan, Hazard, LCC and Lee all bunched together and any one could win the region. As with any champinship you need a few breaks along the way, no injuries, hot outside shooting, and a few good bounces and anything could happen. My heart is with Lee County and I,ll take my chances with these young men.

People seem to leave Estill out on a regular basis. What are they lacking not to be considered serious contenders?

Lee County has had a rich tradition in 14th region basketball, which has made the long dry spell particularly difficult for us oldtimers. 1968 Lee county was a missed free throw away from the state championship game. Regional champions in 1973 and very strong competetive teams for the rest of 70's and most of 80's. The 90's up until now have not been kind to Lee County basketball, although other sports, particularly baseball, have prospered. Hopefully the Bobcats are back for good. This year sure has been fun. Would love to see that third trophy in the case at the school on the hill.

Lee has some good young players coming up right now too. Kenny Brandenburg, The Liesegang twins, Caleb Fetters and Landon Johnson are only Juniors, Aaron Charles is a freshman and they have some other good freshman too in Jared Pelphrey and Corey Dunaway. A couple of sophomores that are making improvements too are Josh Drake and Shane Taulbee and there are others too playing well. Tyler Rich, Devin Taulbee, and Mike Weatherspoon are leaving this program in good hands IMO.

Who is their biggest competition to stop them from going to Rupp and how many times have they been in the Sweet 16?

Lee County went to the Sweet 16 in 1968 behind the strong play of future UK Wildcat Larry Stamper, who was 6'8. They also had Parke Congleton who went on to play for Old Dominion, I believe. Congleton was about 6'5. They made it to the semifinal round but lost a heartbreaker to Louisville Seneca in OT. They actually had a chance to win in regulation, but their starting point guard, John Paul Gabbard, missed the front end of a bonus with not too many seconds left in the game. Lee had a two point lead at the time. Seneca rebounded and scored on their end to tie the game and send it to OT, where they eventually won.

The other time they made it was 1973 with Ed Congleton, David Jennings, Mitch Cornilius, Anthony Newnam, Steve Butler.....I can't recall the others.

I would agree Lee co had a run of talent in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's. For the size school and its location, it would have to be one of the best stretches of talent I have seen. Every year, they basically could compete with anyone. It seemed that the bottom dropped out in about 86 until recently.

I would agree Lee co had a run of talent in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's. For the size school and its location, it would have to be one of the best stretches of talent I have seen. Every year, they basically could compete with anyone. It seemed that the bottom dropped out in about 86 until recently.

Actually Lee County had about 450 students in the '60's and '70's. Their high school enrollment last year was 358.