Can someone confirm this? Newport is only dressing 16 tonight against NewCath?

mexitucky

This is not the Nick Rice I have known. He may have went to the teacher's to asked if the kid could do extra work can he bring his grade up. I don't think he would asked a teacher to change a grade so the kid could play. I agree where are the parent's it is always easier to pass the buck than take responsibility. JD

I think you have to know that there are no parents for most of the kids at Newport. It's kind of like Holmes in that regard. You can't expect anything from them like you do at most schools. Do they have a team study hall? If not it sounds like they need one.

Newport has always lacked parental support. They need more people like Ray and Grady Brown. They just weren't coaches or teachers. They were mentors, friends, support systems, etc..

It is 100s of times worse than when I was in high school, from the outside looking in.

Newport has always lacked parental support. They need more people like Ray and Grady Brown. They just weren't coaches or teachers. They were mentors, friends, support systems, etc..

It hasn't always, my older brother played on some pretty good teams in the 80's and the stands were always full then.

You obviously don't know Newport very well! Just take the 85 team. Forget it was their best football team they ever had but the kids on the team did what they were told by the coaches, and that came from good parents. Sure you have bad seeds everywhere, that's a given. You had middle to low income families throughout the school but they still took an interest in what the kids were doing on and off the field.

I'll give you guys the fact that there was some support in the 80's. Growing up in that area it just seems that there is less and less involvement with the parents and kids over the years. When ever I go to Newport it is the same faces that care for the kids. And as time passes I fear those folks will go away too. Not many fans in the stands And not enough folks to help out. The Atkins family is another great resource for the kids but they need more. Ask coach Russell how may parents attended the parent meeting while he was coaching down there.

when Coach Schlarman was the H.C. he seemed to have a great grasp of things.

Good point Asher! Nick Rice is great person I just think he could have approached some things differently. TAC the Atkins family is a great resource and I know that's not going anywhere.

One of Newport's issues is Newport internally. I deal with Newport Middle a lot, not so much the high school, but over the last 10 years plus, every time they get a good coach, he gets his/her players to be respectful, have class, have pride in that they are Newport, give a darn about academics (maybe not honor roll grades but get them to at least care) and change the attitude of the athletes and students at Newport..........Newport fires them, doesn't ask them to come back as a coach. Then what happens is total implosion of good back to old Newport. Its really a shame on one hand, because honestly you can tell that half of the kids just don't know any better, they have never had someone care. Yet on another, I see the institutional issues at Newport and it all makes sense.

Holmes used to be this way too for a long time, but I have seen over the last 5-7 years a complete change in Holmes. There are still bad apples, but the number is dwindling, and Holmes is on a great path.

Newport should be on this path, but honestly I doubt they ever will. You can put blame where you want, but really it's the whole package at Newport.

One of Newport's issues is Newport internally. I deal with Newport Middle a lot, not so much the high school, but over the last 10 years plus, every time they get a good coach, he gets his/her players to be respectful, have class, have pride in that they are Newport, give a darn about academics (maybe not honor roll grades but get them to at least care) and change the attitude of the athletes and students at Newport..........Newport fires them, doesn't ask them to come back as a coach. Then what happens is total implosion of good back to old Newport. Its really a shame on one hand, because honestly you can tell that half of the kids just don't know any better, they have never had someone care. Yet on another, I see the institutional issues at Newport and it all makes sense.

Holmes used to be this way too for a long time, but I have seen over the last 5-7 years a complete change in Holmes. There are still bad apples, but the number is dwindling, and Holmes is on a great path.

Newport should be on this path, but honestly I doubt they ever will. You can put blame where you want, but really it's the whole package at Newport.

I would love to know what coaches you're speaking of?