Obama's Big Bird Ad

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm talking about the two candidates and their campaign committees, not everyone else.

Campaigns are all about reaching and embellishing. I haven't paid attention to a campaign in forever. That commercial is funny though. So are the Big Bird cartoons. :lol:

I need to take you to Mio's and order you a couple more. :D

Yes. My sophomoric and juvenile sense of humor laughed at the commercial. I also laughed at the skit on Key and Peele last week of the two black dudes who showed up to a Civil War reenactment to play the slaves.

Look at the two dudes running. Lesser of the two evils is a common phrase these days. Of course we get the government we deserve.

I have no problem with people outside of the campaigns making fun of them, fair game. When you start seeing ads this juvenile approved by the presidential candidates, it's just sad and pathetic.

Campaigns are all about reaching and embellishing. I haven't paid attention to a campaign in forever. That commercial is funny though. So are the Big Bird cartoons. :lol:

I need to take you to Mio's and order you a couple more. :D

:lol: Sure it's funny. But it's pathetic for a president or a presidential candidate to act this asinine. It's insulting to the office they're running for.

I'm always up for Mio's and a couple more though. :D

I find it to be confusing. The polls are all still virtually even so why do this? I think it makes Obama look petty and at best it doesn't help get votes.

He needs to focus on performing well at the next debates. The Obama folks will like the commercial and the Obama haters have no sense of humor. Nothing changes. :D

:lol: Sure it's funny. But it's pathetic for a president or a presidential candidate to act this asinine. It's insulting to the office they're running for.

I'm always up for Mio's and a couple more though. :D

One of George Washington's campaign laments was that he didn't have enough booze to get his voters drunk enough to vote for him. Afterall, he had "28 gallons of rum, 50 gallons of rum punch, 34 gallons of wine, 46 gallons of beer, and two gallons of cider royal — nearly enough for a half-gallon per voter" on election day. A newspaper wrote at that time “At an election in a certain State a bystander observing the particular situation of a great number of the electors, who had been regaled at the expense of one of the candidates, remarked on the occasion, That the Voice of the People, was the Voice of Grog.” Grog being alcohol, of course. I also remember seeing an early cartoon of Washington riding a donkey with the caption "a donkey leads an *** to the capitol." My point is that there isn't a nobler time when we were above this sort of stuff. I think this was a misguided ad, even if it attempted to be funny. But this country hasn't exactly been much nobler in its elections. It's not an excuse, but it's a symptom of something.

One of George Washington's campaign laments was that he didn't have enough booze to get his voters drunk enough to vote for him. Afterall, he had "28 gallons of rum, 50 gallons of rum punch, 34 gallons of wine, 46 gallons of beer, and two gallons of cider royal — nearly enough for a half-gallon per voter" on election day. A newspaper wrote at that time “At an election in a certain State a bystander observing the particular situation of a great number of the electors, who had been regaled at the expense of one of the candidates, remarked on the occasion, That the Voice of the People, was the Voice of Grog.” Grog being alcohol, of course. I also remember seeing an early cartoon of Washington riding a donkey with the caption "a donkey leads an *** to the capitol." My point is that there isn't a nobler time when we were above this sort of stuff. I think this was a misguided ad, even if it attempted to be funny. But this country hasn't exactly been much nobler in its elections. It's not an excuse, but it's a symptom of something.
Agreed. I chuckle every time someone thinks that personal attacks in campaigns is a only a recent thing.

I don't think for a second that it was an attempt at humor. It's an act of desparation and very ineffective.

I never claimed it hasn't happened in the past. I also don't think that's an excuse to do it now. In fact, if that's their excuse (not saying you're using the excuse) for the ad, they're more immature than I thought.