Who Said It ?

I have no problem with it.

Just wish him and the rest of the Democrats didn't want to punish those who are successful.

I don't think the intent is to punish those who are successful but I am slowly starting to understand why some feel they are trying to punish them.

I don't think the intent is to punish those who are successful but I am slowly starting to understand why some feel they are trying to punish them.

The only raises I have gotten is because more education and taking on another job. If I wouldn't have gotten my Master's and not become a HC, I would be making $125 less a pay period than I did when I started teaching.

Me and my wife are both teachers and KY state employee insurance has went up every single year I've been a teacher.....and coverage is a little less.

My dad worked in the coal industry, and worked himself up to a very good job. EPA all but closed it down.

I am not sure if this thread leads to this discussion, but it seems close enough and this has been on my mind for a long time so I am going to put it out there. Let's talk about entitlement and the successful and taxes.

The discussion about the "rich" paying taxes often makes me think of the parable Jesus told about the poor widow who gave just two coins to the church. Jesus told of how she gave more than any of the rich people because it was all she had. If I make $1,000,000 a year and pay $400,000 in taxes, should I be happy or sad? Should I complain about my taxes? Should I fight with every once of energy to reduce those taxes? Or should I be thankful I live in a nation that enables me to put $600,000 in my pocket and live a life like few people on this planet live? Should I consider that $400,000 my "tithe" to the nation and system that brought me my wealth?

I know there are many arguments made about wasteful spending, giving money to the lazy who bleed the system, etc. My feeling is the large majority of those who argue so strongly against raising taxes do it for one reason - greed. They want the money for themselves. If they don't have that kind of money, they dream of having that money and say, "No way I would want the government getting any of it if I made that much. No, I would want it for me and my family." Put it in any wrapper you want and scream as loud as you like, but it is greed.

I can honestly say that if I made $1,000,000 (maybe next year :D) that I would be just fine paying $400,000 in taxes to our current government. I will yell and scream as loud as the next person about making government smaller and more efficient, about getting people off government support and helping people lost in our nation to find their way in our system like the rest of us, and, yes, I will argue that taxes should be as low as possible. But I do not buy the argument that if we reduce taxes our problems will automatically be solved - that business will flourish with all that extra money, that people will spend, that the size of government will shrink because they don't have money - no, I have seen enough of that in my life to know that it doesn't work that way. Reducing taxes because you hate government leads to deficit spending. That is one thing I have learned in the last 30 years.

Finally, I have to say I am always puzzled by all those middle class people who might be making 6 figures with both spouses working who seem to be so upset that taxes could increase for those making over $250,000. Why is that? Is it what I said above ... someday that could be me and I don't want the government getting any? Why do so many in the middle class feel so strongly about taxes not increasing on the wealthy?

I am not sure if this thread leads to this discussion, but it seems close enough and this has been on my mind for a long time so I am going to put it out there. Let's talk about entitlement and the successful and taxes.

The discussion about the "rich" paying taxes often makes me think of the parable Jesus told about the poor widow who gave just two coins to the church. Jesus told of how she gave more than any of the rich people because it was all she had. If I make $1,000,000 a year and pay $400,000 in taxes, should I be happy or sad? Should I complain about my taxes? Should I fight with every once of energy to reduce those taxes? Or should I be thankful I live in a nation that enables me to put $600,000 in my pocket and live a life like few people on this planet live? Should I consider that $400,000 my "tithe" to the nation and system that brought me my wealth?

I know there are many arguments made about wasteful spending, giving money to the lazy who bleed the system, etc. My feeling is the large majority of those who argue so strongly against raising taxes do it for one reason - greed. They want the money for themselves. If they don't have that kind of money, they dream of having that money and say, "No way I would want the government getting any of it if I made that much. No, I would want it for me and my family." Put it in any wrapper you want and scream as loud as you like, but it is greed.

I can honestly say that if I made $1,000,000 (maybe next year :D) that I would be just fine paying $400,000 in taxes to our current government. I will yell and scream as loud as the next person about making government smaller and more efficient, about getting people off government support and helping people lost in our nation to find their way in our system like the rest of us, and, yes, I will argue that taxes should be as low as possible. But I do not buy the argument that if we reduce taxes our problems will automatically be solved - that business will flourish with all that extra money, that people will spend, that the size of government will shrink because they don't have money - no, I have seen enough of that in my life to know that it doesn't work that way. Reducing taxes because you hate government leads to deficit spending. That is one thing I have learned in the last 30 years.

Finally, I have to say I am always puzzled by all those middle class people who might be making 6 figures with both spouses working who seem to be so upset that taxes could increase for those making over $250,000. Why is that? Is it what I said above ... someday that could be me and I don't want the government getting any? Why do so many in the middle class feel so strongly about taxes not increasing on the wealthy?

All of the above is a great point.

My feeling is that most people that make $1,000,000 don't have a major problem paying their taxes. They understand that comes with the territory and it's worth it to be an American. The rub is when they are told they are not doing their "fair share" and should pay more. At the same time the see the government growing and in particular entitlement programs increasing.

The only raises I have gotten is because more education and taking on another job. If I wouldn't have gotten my Master's and not become a HC, I would be making $125 less a pay period than I did when I started teaching.

Me and my wife are both teachers and KY state employee insurance has went up every single year I've been a teacher.....and coverage is a little less.

My dad worked in the coal industry, and worked himself up to a very good job. EPA all but closed it down.

This helps me understand the angst some people have. This is a clear picture.

This seems to be very different than my experience as a KY educator. I have been teaching for 17 years and bring home about double what I did the first year. My extracurricular "salary" has stayed about the same, though for different activities now.

Why would you be bringing home $125 less? Were you not married back then? Do you now have children?

This seems to be very different than my experience as a KY educator. I have been teaching for 17 years and bring home about double what I did the first year. My extracurricular "salary" has stayed about the same, though for different activities now.

Why would you be bringing home $125 less? Were you not married back then? Do you now have children?

Are you comparing your current wages with the rate of inflation? Everything that was stated in his quote is correct when you look at wages vs. rate of inflation of Kentucky teachers.

I'm glad your pay has doubled but I'm also suprised. Did it double do to additional education (masters, rank 1), time on the job, or both. Either way congratulations on your career track, very impressive.