Strasburg Shut Down

stickymitts

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson said Strasburg has been calling him late at night saying he couldn't sleep because he couldn't stop thinking about how he is letting his teammates down. While I don't agree with shutting him down or the way they handled it, if he was going to hurt the team then I agree with doing it now.

Still a huge mistake IMO. He's there to help you win. If he's not on the mound your paying the guy for nothing. I'm one of those in the boat that the Nats can't win the World Series without him.

So you go ahead and let him throw, adding on way more innings than he's ever pitched. He re injures his elbow, needing another surgery, and you still don't win the World Series. How smart do you look then?

So you go ahead and let him throw, adding on way more innings than he's ever pitched. He re injures his elbow, needing another surgery, and you still don't win the World Series. How smart do you look then?

Or you let him throw and he helps win the world series. Either way I think the Nats can't win here.

About the same odds that they have ruined his mental state by making him feel like he was the one that prevented the team from winning a World Series. There is zero proof that any number of innings or pitches is the tipping point for creating another injury...

Or he bolts at the first chance as a free agent because he always holds it against the franchise because he was shut down against his wishes. Then all you have done is protected his arm for the new team AND missed a great chance at winning it all...

Still a huge mistake IMO. He's there to help you win. If he's not on the mound your paying the guy for nothing. I'm one of those in the boat that the Nats can't win the World Series without him.

Ususally I would be in a similar boat as Grizzly, but being as that he's coming off an injury I would say wait til next season, possibly even the season after that before you play him under questionable conditions. By then it probably won't even be an issue.

Ususally I would be in a similar boat as Grizzly, but being as that he's coming off an injury I would say wait til next season, possibly even the season after that before you play him under questionable conditions. By then it probably won't even be an issue.

Crazy thing is, there is a poll on ESPN about if the Nats were right in shutting him down. It's almost 50/50. Like I said I don't think the Nats can make a right decision here.

Or he bolts at the first chance as a free agent because he always holds it against the franchise because he was shut down against his wishes. Then all you have done is protected his arm for the new team AND missed a great chance at winning it all...

Ouch that's a painful but possible scenario for the Nationals.

Crazy thing is, there is a poll on ESPN about if the Nats were right in shutting him down. It's almost 50/50. Like I said I don't think the Nats can make a right decision here.

Yea like you said there isn't any way to know one way or the other. I don't know enough about his contract to know whether it's worth the risk. They've got a lot of money tied up in him, if he goes out a jacks his arm up again I don't know how much the Nat's have to pay him regardless of his recovery outcome. That's what would be worrying me.

About the same odds that they have ruined his mental state by making him feel like he was the one that prevented the team from winning a World Series. There is zero proof that any number of innings or pitches is the tipping point for creating another injury...

What about that report that is named after one of the ESPN guys? The Kurjkian effect or something like that?