Top Post Players You Have Seen this Year

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Cody Gilbert play a couple of times this year. He impresses me with his skill. Daniel Neeley is probably the deadliest shooter I've seen, and it's probably a tossup between Day from Leslie and Rich from Lee as the best big men I've seen this year.

Sorry, i misread the post title. I thought it said best players. Narrow my list down to Day and Rich.

I'm not going to go on and on about Penick, because everyone should know how many of us feel about him in the 9th. Overrated
I'm not going to go on and on about Penick, because everyone should know how many of us feel about him in the 9th. Overrated.

But there is a kid in the 9th Region that nobody is mentioning. His name is Zack Keirnan. Teams around the state don't know of him. But this kid is a beast. 6'5" and built like a brick wall. He has good shooting skills and can play inside with any player in the state. He's only a Junior and IMO is the best big man in the 9th Region.

:confused: Just how many are there that think like you boy? You and one or 2 others whose limited knowledge of the game is constantly called into question. Penick must not have chose you into a pickup game somewhere the way constantly bash him. Sort of pathetic really the way you constantly attack a high school kid trying to get to the next level.

But BIGZIG, how can we compare him to players on the High School level (maybe you can, when/if he plays in AAU) when the best team that Ludlow will play against are either Ryle or Beechwood? Unless they get out of the district, (with the new format Ludlow has their best chance in years and years and years) he doesn’t get the chance to play other big men or the quality teams in the Commonwealth. It isn't his fault that Ludlow play the schedule it does and I understand why Ludlow plays the schedule it does, but really you wonder as a Ludlow fan why some of your boys leave Ludlow to play with others. It’s called media exposure, not saying its fair, but just saying, that is how it is.

He did play quite a bit of AAU this past summer and he became the source of much conversation after several very good performances. Mid-American Conf. and OVC schools became very interested.

As far as having boys leave Ludlow for other programs I can think of only one in the past several years who is now playing at HC but other then that I can't name any, can You?

With all due respect BZ, Penick is not a post player in the Ludlow offense. He operates more as a 4-man or even a 3 quite frankly. Yes he's big and yes he rebounds and I share your opinion that he will likely end up a solid mid-level division I recruit, but it won't be as a post player by any stretch. I've seen several of his games and he simply doesn't post-up. He prefers to face the basket and, quite frankly, he's better when he does. Good hops, solid, solid rebounder, great ball handler for 6 foot whatever he actually is, but prefers a more perimeter game. I can't see him being listed among the elite post players in the state, IF there really are any. I will agree with the opinion on Kiernan as well. The kid is strong and talented.

He did play quite a bit of AAU this past summer and he became the source of much conversation after several very good performances. Mid-American Conf. and OVC schools became very interested.

As far as having boys leave Ludlow for other programs I can think of only one in the past several years who is now playing at HC but other then that I can't name any, can You?

Well since I moved from the Greater Ludlow area many years ago no. But I was taking your word from a different post about kids playing for HC from Ludlow now days.

But since you called me out:

In my day many of the better kids who played sports and grew up in Ludlow went to CCH or even ST. X or HC. Names? Let see one boy's dad owned a drugstore and if I remember his father or grandfather was on the Ludlow Board of Education, he played BBall for X. A former ludlow boy who went to HC and played BBall now holds an important office in Kenton County Goverment. A father who owned a bar in Ludlow son went to CCH and won a diving championship. One boy whose father was in the Air Force went to CovCath and played a huge part in almost winning the State Championship and then went to the Air Force Academy on a full scholarship and his little brother played Bball at CovCath also. One son Dad owned a TV repair shop and while he didn't play sports, he sure did write about them.

In my day sports in Ludlow were played by guys named Tank, Steve Tom, Glen and Davey. BTW one of them even was the Head Football Coach at Ludlow not all that long ago.

When football was played by the big six years, and years ago, Ludlow was one of them amd they were great. BTW a very good friend of mine was introduced into the Ludlow hall of fame a couple of years ago from one of those teams and I was lucky enough to see him get it and was sorry to see such a very small crowd at the football game.

I spent more of my time on the Lagoon Lake when it was really a lake than I care to mention and went ice skating on it and heck my Grandmother told me stories about when the Lagoon had a amusement park on it to rival any. Oh the stories I could tell you about Ludlow. I lived the floods and was called a river rat more than you will ever know, so don't imply that I don't know Ludlow.....

But really BIGZIG all I said was the truth, see below...Back in my day Ludlow didn't play anybody in BBALL and they still don't play anybody. I understand I really do and I understand why but that doesn't make your player an all state player because he scores a lot and rebounds a lot against a host of lesser teams. I am sorry for ranting but........

But BIGZIG, how can we compare him to players on the High School level (maybe you can, when/if he plays in AAU) when the best team that Ludlow will play against are either Ryle or Beechwood? Unless they get out of the district, (with the new format Ludlow has their best chance in years and years and years) he doesn’t get the chance to play other big men or the quality teams in the Commonwealth. It isn't his fault that Ludlow play the schedule it does and I understand why Ludlow plays the schedule it does, but really you wonder as a Ludlow fan why some of your boys leave Ludlow to play with others. It’s called media exposure, not saying its fair, but just saying, that is how it is.

You go back even further then I but I remember those names as well and you are absolutely correct that back prior to the early 70's most if not all Catholic kids in Ludlow went to CCH, HC or as you said many even went as far as St X. Personally I had a cousin who lived in Bromley and attended NewCath (Ed Ziegler) who later went on to Notre Dame. I have been told and maybe you can verify if you are older then me but apparently Ludlow had 2 boys in the late 50's Larry Tobe and Roger Sullivan who attended St X and led them to the Ohio Final Four. Had they stayed at Ludlow along with a fellow named C. Thomas and Eddie Creamer they may have been a Ky State Tourney Team. Somewhere while I was in high school (early 70's) more and more kids started to attend Ludlow because they didn't get much if any playing time at CCH and the other schools. In recent years very few have left to go the parochial schools. By the way that coach you mention happens to be a very good friend.

As for Penick he is more natural as a 3 or possibly a 4 and that is where he will play in college as was stated by bulldog77. Ludlows schedule does have to be considered when evaluating Dan but I believe Dan has played against the best in AAU and has faired well and this is why he is be recruited by Div. 1 schools.

You go back even further then I but I remember those names as well and you are absolutely correct that back prior to the early 70's most if not all Catholic kids in Ludlow went to CCH, HC or as you said many even went as far as St X. Personally I had a cousin who lived in Bromley and attended NewCath (Ed Ziegler) who later went on to Notre Dame. I have been told and maybe you can verify if you are older then me but apparently Ludlow had 2 boys in the late 50's Larry Tobe and Roger Sullivan who attended St X and led them to the Ohio Final Four. Had they stayed at Ludlow along with a fellow named C. Thomas and Eddie Creamer they may have been a Ky State Tourney Team. Somewhere while I was in high school (early 70's) more and more kids started to attend Ludlow because they didn't get much if any playing time at CCH and the other schools. In recent years very few have left to go the parochial schools. By the way that coach you mention happens to be a very good friend.

As for Penick he is more natural as a 3 or possibly a 4 and that is where he will play in college as was stated by bulldog77. Ludlows schedule does have to be considered when evaluating Dan but I believe Dan has played against the best in AAU and has faired well and this is why he is be recruited by Div. 1 schools.

He is a good guy but a bad golfer. :laugh: Ask him one day about how he liked playing at Pinehurst and who was in the foursome. :D

Know of the Ziegler family, they lived on Rohman (I assume we are talking about the same family) Ed Creamer Ive heard about and from the stories you are correct about Ludlow being a real contender for the State if they had all stayed in Ludlow.....

:confused: Just how many are there that think like you boy? You and one or 2 others whose limited knowledge of the game is constantly called into question. Penick must not have chose you into a pickup game somewhere the way constantly bash him. Sort of pathetic really the way you constantly attack a high school kid trying to get to the next level.

What are even talking about BigZig? Pick up games? C'mon. I said I didn't even want to get into it because you take it so personal. I respect your opinion, why can't you respect mine. I have nothing personal against the kid its just my opinion. You really think I'm the only one or two people that think this way. What about our conversation about Top Prospects. In that thread alone there are a handful of observers who agree with me and have the same opinion. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=84847

I'm not attacking any high school kid. If someone ask for an opinion then I give it. It part of the site. The only people on this site who question my knowledge of high school basketball is you. I have never said I have any knowledge I just have spoke my mind honestly. Seriously though I have nothing against Penick and never have. I just haven't ever been impressed with him. I wish him the best and hope you can understand.

What are even talking about BigZig? Pick up games? C'mon. I said I didn't even want to get into it because you take it so personal. I respect your opinion, why can't you respect mine. I have nothing personal against the kid its just my opinion. You really think I'm the only one or two people that think this way. What about our conversation about Top Prospects. In that thread alone there are a handful of observers who agree with me and have the same opinion. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=84847

I'm not attacking any high school kid. If someone ask for an opinion then I give it. It part of the site. The only people on this site who question my knowledge of high school basketball is you. I have never said I have any knowledge I just have spoke my mind honestly. Seriously though I have nothing against Penick and never have. I just haven't ever been impressed with him. I wish him the best and hope you can understand.

:cool: Differing opinions, lets move on..

Swofford - Clay Co.

Ivey - O'Cath

Asher - North Laurel

Allen - South Laurel

Smith - South Laurel

McDavid - Ashland

Collins - Miami Sr.

Elliott - Pendleton

Turner - Mason

Mackins - Trigg

Miller - Henry Clay

Boyd - Henry Clay

Novosel - LexCath

Wilkinson - Lafayette

Wright - Brentwood Acad.

Meeks - Pulaski Co.

Jones - GRC

Stocker - Madison So.

Lee - Scott Co.

Mackey - Scott Co.

Romes - Beechwood

Morgan - Leslie Co.

Day - Leslie Co.

You have to have Nathan Holton from Somerset in this list. He is averaging 20 points plus for the Jumpers this year.

I can't remember his name but the big man for simon kenton he remindes me of the Carter kid from Scott Co. last year has alot of good moves with his back to the basket. Also Frank Daugherty from Walton it is a small school so there is no notice taken but plays some of the best post defense I have saw, and is starting to come around on his offense. By the way both only juniors still have another year to get better.

You have to have Nathan Holton from Somerset in this list. He is averaging 20 points plus for the Jumpers this year.

My guess is that after I see them play this year, I will. He is a fine player, however. I'm just following the rules laid down by the title of the thread. ;)