Why America is Losing the Obesity Battle.

mexitucky

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading Taubes for years and his stuff is fascinating. He's alleged that groups like the American Heart Association have willfully ignored good evidence of the dangers of refined sugars and flours because it would force them to acknowledge that they've been giving people absolutely backwards advice for over 50 years. What's crazy is that the stuff we'd hoped to be the answer, high-fructose corn syrup -- which is in seemingly everything, is actually likely to be what's killing us.

There's a long way to go on testing this and everything else, but I'm definitely intrigued.

Obesity does sadden me.

Too many temptations in this world. Until there is the general understanding that what we put in our bodies is for first and foremost to fuel our bodies to run as efficiently as possible, and not a source of entertainment, we will never change.

This is an issue VERY close to my heart. In the right shoes I'm 5' 6". 3 years ago I weighed 300 lbs. Today I weigh between 170 and 180. I knew all the risks of being fat but until my doctor told me that if I didn't lose weight and get my blood sugar level under control I was going to have to start diabetes medication I just didn't care. The bottom line to me is like smoking there are going to be people who choose not to try to lose weight. What I fear is that like smokers, overweight people will be relegated to the pariah status now "enjoyed" by smokers.

What I really hate is that it is hard to find anything to eat that is healthy and inexpensive, especially if you are on the go. Why is a salad from McDonalds around $5.00 while a double cheeseburger is $.99.

What I really hate is that it is hard to find anything to eat that is healthy and inexpensive, especially if you are on the go. Why is a salad from McDonalds around $5.00 while a double cheeseburger is $.99.
I could sell you a wrapper full of dog turds even cheaper than the double cheeseburger, would you buy that because it's cheaper?

I could sell you a wrapper full of dog turds even cheaper than the double cheeseburger, would you buy that because it's cheaper?

It's not that big an issue for me now but back in college, yea I probably would have since it was about all I could afford. It's not like I prefered the taste of Keystone or Natty Light, but you do what you have to do.

It's not that big an issue for me now but back in college, yea I probably would have since it was about all I could afford. It's not like I prefered the taste of Keystone or Natty Light, but you do what you have to do.

Boomed farm what?