Does Your Team PRACTICE Under The Lights?

Assuming your team HAS lights on their field, do they PRACTICE under them?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming your team HAS lights on their field, do they PRACTICE under them?

Subsequent to the discussion of forthcoming lights at Cov Cath's Wooten Stadium, I have a good friend of mine who graduated from a certain less-than-well-liked high school in Ft. Thomas telling me that their football team never practices under the lights.

I can't speak to the truth of that allegation, but I will say that it's my understanding that most, if not all teams did practice on their field under the lights at least once the time change came around.

How about a show of hands for folks whose teams practice under the lights...and which schools, if you don't mind saying so.

We practice under the lights on our practice field every Wednesday morning before school. Back in 2007, our school started mandatory teacher meetings every Wednesday and students were dismissed early from school. Our choices were to either have the kids come back to practice at 4 pm, or get up early and be on the practice field by 6:30 am. The kids chose the early morning practices and we have continued to do so even though we no longer have the meetings and early dismissal. It has been good for us because it gives our guys a little extra recovery time before we play on Friday night. I like having a tough Tuesday practice and then getting up early on Wednesday, like 2 a days almost. I think it has been good for us.

Subsequent to the discussion of forthcoming lights at Cov Cath's Wooten Stadium, I have a good friend of mine who graduated from a certain less-than-well-liked high school in Ft. Thomas telling me that their football team never practices under the lights.

I can't speak to the truth of that allegation, but I will say that it's my understanding that most, if not all teams did practice on their field under the lights at least once the time change came around.

How about a show of hands for folks whose teams practice under the lights...and which schools, if you don't mind saying so.

In general terms, I think you'd have a hard time finding a school that starts practices under the lights regularly. It'd be a logistical nightmare for almost any school. Transportation issues alone would cause coaches to start popping Zantac like it was candy.

Specifically, I think you got the answers you were looking for. As we lose daylight, playoff teams likely finish under the lights every year.

In general terms, I think you'd have a hard time finding a school that starts practices under the lights regularly. It'd be a logistical nightmare for almost any school. Transportation issues alone would cause coaches to start popping Zantac like it was candy.

Specifically, I think you got the answers you were looking for. As we lose daylight, playoff teams likely finish under the lights every year.

Fill me in...transportation issue how?

Fill me in...transportation issue how?

In rural counties, but even at places like Ryle, SK, and Campbell in NKY you are talking about kids leaving school, and then driving back to school later that night for an evening practice on sometimes shaky roads for drivers, especially youngsters.

For the players who don't drive, they are now searching for a ride back to school. What if they can't find one? What if the one they find, wrecks?

Same thing with morning practices, as I'm sure there isn't school transportation available for pre-school practice.

Even for schools without busing, it's an issue because it would require an extra or earlier trip to school.

I understand CS and Ram occasionally utilize the lights, as does Highlands in-season. I wouldn't want to try to do it on a daily basis. I see very few benefits, and many issues other than those mentioned.

In rural counties, but even at places like Ryle, SK, and Campbell in NKY you are talking about kids leaving school, and then driving back to school later that night for an evening practice on sometimes shaky roads for drivers, especially youngsters.

For the players who don't drive, they are now searching for a ride back to school. What if they can't find one? What if the one they find, wrecks?

Same thing with morning practices, as I'm sure there isn't school transportation available for pre-school practice.

Even for schools without busing, it's an issue because it would require an extra or earlier trip to school.

I understand CS and Ram occasionally utilize the lights, as does Highlands in-season. I wouldn't want to try to do it on a daily basis. I see very few benefits, and many issues other than those mentioned.

Sandman, I played at a Rural school and yes these were issue, but in most of the cases they worked themselves out. You always had that mom or dad that would take half the team home with them every night.

We always practice Wednesday nights and Thursday nights under the lights during the season, started warming up for practice about the same time we would for Friday nights. Coaches thought it was good to have our bodies ready to play at that time. I liked the idea, considering almost half or more of our team was either on basketball/baseball, it gave us time after school to work on some skill work for those sports, and homework, as well as just hang out and be HS kids.

Sandman, I played at a Rural school and yes these were issue, but in most of the cases they worked themselves out. You always had that mom or dad that would take half the team home with them every night.

We always practice Wednesday nights and Thursday nights under the lights during the season, started warming up for practice about the same time we would for Friday nights. Coaches thought it was good to have our bodies ready to play at that time. I liked the idea, considering almost half or more of our team was either on basketball/baseball, it gave us time after school to work on some skill work for those sports, and homework, as well as just hang out and be HS kids.

So did you guys just stick around at school until practice started?