Georgetown College to NCAA Divison 2?

D-Rob

That's the word.

Wrongheaded decision IMHO. However, daughter graduates 3 weeks from today so it really doesn't matter to me personally.

I hope that GC keeps whatever commitments that they have made to athletes currently enrolled and committed.

Could someone post the negatives of this move?

The most concerning is that Gtown has made a living off D1 transfers. The appeal was that the transfers didn't have to sit out a year. Now they would have to sit out a year so the recruiting niche will not be the same.

DII basketball is known for junior college transfers that didn't qualify for DI. Gtown is not used to that type of student academically.

The basketball facility is pathetic. It is tough to overcome the facility in recruiting, but possible because not many NAIA schools have top notch facilities. The GLVC schools will be laughing when they walk into Reid Davis Arena after playing in BOK.

Just to name a few.

The most concerning is that Gtown has made a living off D1 transfers. The appeal was that the transfers didn't have to sit out a year. Now they would have to sit out a year so the recruiting niche will not be the same.

DII basketball is known for junior college transfers that didn't qualify for DI. Gtown is not used to that type of student academically.

The basketball facility is pathetic. It is tough to overcome the facility in recruiting, but possible because not many NAIA schools have top notch facilities. The GLVC schools will be laughing when they walk into Reid Davis Arena after playing in BOK.

Just to name a few.

Thanks, both are very good points. NKU has lived on D1 transfers for quite some time and Regents Hall would be considered a nice HS arena. I've never seen GTown's gym but it sounds like it's pretty bad.

Just to name a few.

Georgetown has made a living off D-I transfers much the same way a number of NAIA schools do. In a lot of cases, those transfers arrive in NAIA because of academic issues (sometimes more serious, nefarious issues), which means they aren't that indifferent from the juco transfers an NKU lived off of.

I'd have to disagree Jim. There is a big difference in the kid who qualifies for D1 and then messes up his grades vs a kid who couldn't qualify in the first place and had to go JUCO and then was unable to qualify after 2 more years.

Not all situations are that way, but more often than not, the D1 qualifier has the potential to succeed academically.

I like the move if their intentions are to get out of the NAIA. Going D2 will allow them to continue giving scholarships...the only thing that I ask here is does anyone know what the number of scholarships Gtown currently gives compared to what they would be allowed if they get approved to be in and eventually transition into D2?

As far as what conference they would be in, I think the GLVC would not be a good fit. Georgetown, just like Kentucky Wesleyan, isn't that big of a school (approximately 1300 or so students) and in sports other than men's basketball, they could struggle in the GLVC, BUT the best move would be to try and get in the new conference that Kentucky Wesleyan is getting into. It is called the Great Midwest Athletic Conference and has schools currently in it (will be a new conference in the 2013-14 season) that are of the same size. Other than KWC (802 students), the schools in that conference are Cedarville University (Cedarville, OH - 3205), Central State University (Wilberforce, OH - 2288), Travecca Nazarene (Nashville, TN - 2345), Urbana University (Urbana, OH - 1359), Ursuline College (Pepper Pike, OH - women's only school - 1485), and UVa-Wise (2000).

I like the move if their intentions are to get out of the NAIA. Going D2 will allow them to continue giving scholarships...the only thing that I ask here is does anyone know what the number of scholarships Gtown currently gives compared to what they would be allowed if they get approved to be in and eventually transition into D2?

As far as what conference they would be in, I think the GLVC would not be a good fit. Georgetown, just like Kentucky Wesleyan, isn't that big of a school (approximately 1300 or so students) and in sports other than men's basketball, they could struggle in the GLVC, BUT the best move would be to try and get in the new conference that Kentucky Wesleyan is getting into. It is called the Great Midwest Athletic Conference and has schools currently in it (will be a new conference in the 2013-14 season) that are of the same size. Other than KWC (802 students), the schools in that conference are Cedarville University (Cedarville, OH - 3205), Central State University (Wilberforce, OH - 2288), Travecca Nazarene (Nashville, TN - 2345), Urbana University (Urbana, OH - 1359), Ursuline College (Pepper Pike, OH - women's only school - 1485), and UVa-Wise (2000).

My favorite post in this thread, as I agree that Georgetown getting out of the NAIA is a good thing and the new conference you mentioned is the best fit.

Just to set the record straight on a few things. DII schools can accept DI transfers without any penalty to the athlete. So Georgetown would be in SOP on the DI transfer route. Go get em.

NKU did get some JUCO's over the year's, but they've had far more DI transfers recently than JUCO's. That seems to be a big deal to some of you.

NKU's facilities have improved greatly, but only in the last five to 10 years. They spent most of their time in DII with bad to worse facilities and it wasn't an issue, so it shouldn't be with GTown either.

My comparisions to NKU are intential as I think this move would fill a void NKU left by moving to DI (bad move).

The kicker in all of this will be what happens with football. Georgetown has proven a viable option for many local kids to continue playng collegiately. But, in NCAA DII, the conference tie in's are going to be tough. GLVC doesn't have it. I can't imagine the above listed conference will either. If they want a football tie-in they'll have to head south to find a conference is my guess.