Best Survivor Player Ever?

GrizzlyAdams

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Russell might be the best player to never win. Or Colby in season 2 when he dominated ever challenge. The second time around he was a grandpa.

He was an idiot though. He takes that chef (Keith maybe) and he wins a unanimous vote.

Colby is the reason I gave up on Survivor for a while. Dumbest move ever. Still makes me mad.

Haven't read any posts yet as to not taint my thinking/initial thoughts. Three names come to the top of my head: Russell, Parvatti and Rob. Sandra winning twice also comes to mind.

Now I'll go back and read and see what has transpired.

Parvati could probably marry damn near any male Survivor winner if she wanted to.

Bill Simmons talked on a podcast one time about a wedding he was at. He said there was no way to pinpoint it but in a room full of "LA types" Parvati stole the show and had every man AND woman captivated.

A fellow BS report listener I see!

Reading through all the posts didn't change my three names. I'd put Rob third, Parvatti second and Russell first. I know he didn't win, I know people hated him come jury time, so that probably makes my argument invalid, but I'll make it anyway.

Russell changed things in Survivor in my opinion. He tried to make people miserable at camp (pouring out the water, messing with supplies etc) as a strategy, he completely revamped idol searching as he made it an art form. He also just seemed to run the game the two deep runs he made. Parvatti, who I love, really did ride him to the finals in that season, and truthfully, that gives me pause when I think about how smart she really is. Anyway, back on point, Russell had his game plan, he stuck with it, didn't change it for his second round, and proved he was a fantastic survivor.

I still to this day think he was robbed more than anyone else I can remember in his first season. The bitterness of Survivor contestants kills me. It would seem they would know what they are getting into ahead of time, but obviously I haven't been there to know first hand.

Mark me down for Russell as my vote, with full knowledge that vote will get me hammered on here.

Biggest misconception ever. NONE of the Heroes/Villians had seen Russell's season when they went on the island. So he was an unknown again. All they knew was he did enough to warrant being labeled a villian.

To me that makes his run even more impressive. He went into the "All-Star" season, just like Rupert had years earlier, right off the heels of his season, and killed it (thanks to TJ Lavin for that quote). He walked right into All-Stars, knew he belonged, and proved it. He didn't have any "past" relationships to build on, he didn't have any "friends" from the outside (as some of the All-Stars are to one another), and he pushed his way in.

I haven't watched the show in years. I will say that the show owes Richard a lot. He set the tone for how the game could be played and that style has attracted viewers over the years.

Didn't even think about him but you are right, he should be in the discussion.

Reading through all the posts didn't change my three names. I'd put Rob third, Parvatti second and Russell first. I know he didn't win, I know people hated him come jury time, so that probably makes my argument invalid, but I'll make it anyway.

Russell changed things in Survivor in my opinion. He tried to make people miserable at camp (pouring out the water, messing with supplies etc) as a strategy, he completely revamped idol searching as he made it an art form. He also just seemed to run the game the two deep runs he made. Parvatti, who I love, really did ride him to the finals in that season, and truthfully, that gives me pause when I think about how smart she really is. Anyway, back on point, Russell had his game plan, he stuck with it, didn't change it for his second round, and proved he was a fantastic survivor.

I still to this day think he was robbed more than anyone else I can remember in his first season. The bitterness of Survivor contestants kills me. It would seem they would know what they are getting into ahead of time, but obviously I haven't been there to know first hand.

Mark me down for Russell as my vote, with full knowledge that vote will get me hammered on here.

:thumb:

That's a pretty good argument...particularly his pursuit of the idol & how that has completely changed.

I am not going to hammer you at all. I made the comment above that Russell changed the game perhaps more than any player. However, Russell's abrasive style on the social side clearly rubs people wrong to the extent they won't vote for him even when he appears to have been the best player. For that reason, I can't make him #1.

I am not going to hammer you at all. I made the comment above that Russell changed the game perhaps more than any player. However, Russell's abrasive style on the social side clearly rubs people wrong to the extent they won't vote for him even when he appears to have been the best player. For that reason, I can't make him #1.

That's where my argument, admittedly, falls flat. If consideration as "best Survivor player ever" must include actually winning the vote then he can't be the one. I simply contend his "robbery" in the final vote doesn't preclude him from being the best in my opinion.