Scott County and Great Crossing graduates get scholarships to Georgetown College

theguru

Must be nice...

From the article:

The college is offering scholarships to students who live in the county.

For the next ten years, if students get accepted into the college, they can attend Georgetown College for free. That's a $160,000 four-year scholarship.

Students must live on campus for all four years and remain in good standing.

Scott County students can go to Georgetown College for free

I don't know if I like it. Should Jefferson County grads get scholarships to UofL, Fayette County grads to UK, NKU, Eastern Western, etc. and what about kids that have no university in their county?

I wonder if you can transfer to Scott County or Great Crossing your senior year and get the scholarship?

I also wonder if there is going to be pressure on teachers at Great Crossing and Scott County to "bump up" grades so that their students qualify for the scholarships?

It is a nice gesture but I just don't know if I like it.

Agree? Disagree? Something else?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have to live on campus to receive the scholarship and must pay their own room and board, which is $6,000-$10,000 per year, according to the article.

I think I like it. Might put pressure on other schools to offer more opportunities to local students.

Having said that, your question about kids moving to one of the schools during their senior year is an interesting one.

Georgetown is private, correct? If the school can foot the bill I think it's fantastic. And it's not free, they still have to pay for room and board. I can't possibly see how this would be anything but positive for the students able to get the scholarships.

I don't know if I like it. Should Jefferson County grads get scholarships to UofL, Fayette County grads to UK, NKU, Eastern Western, etc. and what about kids that have no university in their county?

If the taxpayers would be willing to foot the bill (I would, personally), then yes I'd say those state schools should offer the same scholarships. You can't really compare Georgetown to those schools though, because it is private and the school is paying for it.

If the taxpayers would be willing to foot the bill (I would, personally), then yes I'd say those state schools should offer the same scholarships. You can't really compare Georgetown to those schools though, because it is private and the school is paying for it.

That's where I would differ...the taxpayer footing the bill.

Cumberland's has had a similar scholarship (Bert Combs)for years for a alot of counties in Eastern Ky.

If there are 800 graduates from those 2 HS a year, how many will take advantage of the deal for 4 years. My bet would be less than 10 kids per year take advantage of this deal.