Visiting media question.

Jumper_Dad

I've been broadcasting HS sports since 1979, and I've had to sit in the stands many, many times, though less so over the more recent seasons...

Generally speaking, it's usually a case where there were multiple media outlets at the game, limited space in a small press box, and I drew the short straw. The "home" broadcast crew, of course, gets the first crack at the press box, and they should.

I know many schools that still have very small press boxes, and the ability to accommodate many different announcing crews is a challenge for them. South Oldham (who's getting a new press box next year - yay!) is one, and I know that last night three different announcing crews attended the South Oldham vs. Bowling Green game. Two of those crews were stuck in the stands as the South Oldham broadcast crew got "first dibs" on the press box. There simply was no room for the other two.

We didn't have any games this year where we had to sit in the stands, but did have to do a South Oldham vs. Fern Creek playoff game last season in the stands at Fern Creek.

The other two Oldham County schools we cover, Oldham County HS, and North Oldham HS, have either a) very large press boxes (Oldham County), or press boxes on both sides (Oldham County and North Oldham). Space for announcers is generally not an issue at either.

CM

I was just wondering, I saw where an announcer at the Frederick Douglass and Southwestern game said he had to sit in the stands. I would have thought a brand new stadium would have had room to accommodate everyone.

It is a large press box but Douglass had it’s own broadcast group plus the guys from prep spin and our coaching staff uses one who section. The clock PA and Douglass audio and video people use the 2nd section and the Prep Spin used the 3rd section.

It is a large press box but Douglass had it’s own broadcast group plus the guys from prep spin and our coaching staff uses one who section. The clock PA and Douglass audio and video people use the 2nd section and the Prep Spin used the 3rd section.

That makes sense. I guess I'm used to ours, it's much bigger.

How?

Not allowing visiting coaches access to press box. Supposed to be given access at the same height as home coaches either on the same side of the field or opposite. Boyle coaches were told to vacate the press box or be removed by local law enforcement. Sat in the visitor bleachers at a much lower level than home coaches.

I've been broadcasting HS sports since 1979, and I've had to sit in the stands many, many times, though less so over the more recent seasons...

Generally speaking, it's usually a case where there were multiple media outlets at the game, limited space in a small press box, and I drew the short straw. The "home" broadcast crew, of course, gets the first crack at the press box, and they should.

I know many schools that still have very small press boxes, and the ability to accommodate many different announcing crews is a challenge for them. South Oldham (who's getting a new press box next year - yay!) is one, and I know that last night three different announcing crews attended the South Oldham vs. Bowling Green game. Two of those crews were stuck in the stands as the South Oldham broadcast crew got "first dibs" on the press box. There simply was no room for the other two.

We didn't have any games this year where we had to sit in the stands, but did have to do a South Oldham vs. Fern Creek playoff game last season in the stands at Fern Creek.

The other two Oldham County schools we cover, Oldham County HS, and North Oldham HS, have either a) very large press boxes (Oldham County), or press boxes on both sides (Oldham County and North Oldham). Space for announcers is generally not an issue at either.

CM

Even with the new press box, Cov Cath isn't exactly overflowing with room. They have 5 bays in theirs - four that are maybe 6 feet wide, and one that is probably 10 or 12 feet wide. One is for the announcer, spotter and scoreboard crew, plus the ship's ladder up to the rooftop. One is for home coaches. One is for visitor coaches. The other two are usually split between the stats crew and the Cov Cath audio broadcast crew. It'd be a crowd, for sure, to add in another broadcast crew in there.

As a member of a school broadcasting team, I can tell you that the majority of schools we've visited over the past three years have been very gracious in hosting us and have given us access to their press box in one way or another, whether that be access to the prime spot, the top of the press box itself (roof), or shoehorned us into the 4-5 feet left.

We've had some great situations, but sometimes tougher situations are impossible to avoid. Some schools just have limited space due to their tiny boxes or they just have no room for all of the outlets needed. The TOUGHEST thing for us is being put next to an opposing team's coaching staff, support staff or broadcast team. I'd almost rather be in the stands in those situations simply because some can/have been very chippy to say the least.

Even with the new press box, Cov Cath isn't exactly overflowing with room. They have 5 bays in theirs - four that are maybe 6 feet wide, and one that is probably 10 or 12 feet wide. One is for the announcer, spotter and scoreboard crew, plus the ship's ladder up to the rooftop. One is for home coaches. One is for visitor coaches. The other two are usually split between the stats crew and the Cov Cath audio broadcast crew. It'd be a crowd, for sure, to add in another broadcast crew in there.

CovCath was beyond gracious to us and put us on top of the press box last year. It was a perfect night weather wise and it's still one of the best views we've had while calling a game.

By the way, CWB, do you recall the story/urban legend of the beloved CovCath assistant freshman coach/support guy who actually either fell off of or almost fell off of the top of the old Wooten Field press box in the early 90's? That story still comes up every few years with my CovCath buddies.