Visiting media question.

Jumper_Dad

CovCath was beyond gracious to us and put us on top of the press box last year. It was a perfect night weather wise and it's still one of the best views we've had while calling a game.

By the way, CWB, do you recall the story/urban legend of the beloved CovCath assistant freshman coach/support guy who actually either fell off of or almost fell off of the top of the old Wooten Field press box in the early 90's? That story still comes up every few years with my CovCath buddies.

I don't know that I've heard the specific story you're talking about...but I know for fact that there were were some close calls up there (including at least one while I was up in the press box).

Been broadcasting for more than 10 seasons and I've had to broadcast from the stands (even the back of a pickup truck) several times. Four of the five other teams in our Region (Districts in KY) are from Metro Nashville and they just do not have facilities to accommodate. We've also had to give up our own broadcast booth at home when a TV station comes in to broadcast. When our stadium was built in 1980, there was not even a local radio station carrying the games. With the use of internet broadcasting, things have changed!

Even with the new press box, Cov Cath isn't exactly overflowing with room. They have 5 bays in theirs - four that are maybe 6 feet wide, and one that is probably 10 or 12 feet wide. One is for the announcer, spotter and scoreboard crew, plus the ship's ladder up to the rooftop. One is for home coaches. One is for visitor coaches. The other two are usually split between the stats crew and the Cov Cath audio broadcast crew. It'd be a crowd, for sure, to add in another broadcast crew in there.

Same with us. We have five bays. Home coaches/Visitor coaches/PA & Clock Operator/Home video crew/Home internet broadcasters (that's me). If TV covers our game we (Home broadcasters) have to crowd (and I mean crowd!) into the bay with the video crew. Visiting radio/internet is in the stands. In our biggest game of the season the visiting radio crew rented a scissors-lift and broadcast from the track on the visitor's side.