Guess I'm bored so here we go. Travel Distances

BEChargers

Looking at the pairings for the 3rd round I noticed a couple of teams that had a good drive ahead of them. So before long I was looking up all of the game distances if anyone finds this of interest. Oh yeah, Who Ya With.

1A

Crittenden County @ Ky Country Day 202 miles, 3h 5 min.

Newport Central Cath. @ (Lou) Holy Cross 113 miles, 1h 47 min.

Nicholas County @ Pikeville 142 miles, 2h 39 min.

Williamsburg @ Paintsville 141 miles, 2h 31 min.

2A

Edmonson County @ Mayfield 158 miles, 2h 34 min.

McLean County @ Somerset 186 miles, 2h 55 min.

Walton/Verona @ Breathitt Co. 139 miles, 2h 7 min.

West Carter @ Beechwood 123 miles, 2h 15 min.

3A

Taylor Co. @ Paducah Tilghman 211 miles, 3h 11 min.

Bardstown @ DeSales 35 miles, 40 min.

Fleming Co. @ Bell Co. 162 miles, 2h 47 min.

Ashland Blazer @ Belfry 78 miles, 1h 39 min.

4A

Franklin Simpson @ ???

Lou. Moore @ Lou. Central 18 miles, 21 min.

Scott High @ Boyle 127 miles, 2h 4 min.

Wayne Co. @ Johnson Central 176 miles, 3h 9 min.

5A

Lou. Fairdale @ Owensboro 104 miles, 1h 5 min.

Bowling Green @ S. Oldham 131 miles, 2h 2 min.

Madison Southern @ Cov. Cath. 114 miles, 1h 44 min.

Southwestern @ Fredrick Douglas 160 miles, 2h 32 min.

6A

St. X. @ Male 3.5 miles, 8 min.

McCracken Co. @ North Hardin 188 miles, 2h 51 min.

Oldham Co. @ Trinity 18 miles, 21 min.

Simon Kenton @ Tates Creek 79 miles, 1h 21 minl

If I had a son playing in the 3rd, 4th or final round of the playoffs, I’d love a 2 1/2 hour drive to watch him play. They are only in HS once in their life, so enjoy it. Plus, these long bus rides will be something these kids will never forget and will be talked about for years to come in their lives. They will be turned into “Remember when....” stories and the length of the trip will be exaggerated more and more the older they get. So remember once it’s over, it’s not coming back. People will always find something to complain about but taking a road trip to a HS football game shouldn’t be one of them.

Edited by Roundsteak
Update

If I had a son playing in the 3rd, 4th or final round of the playoffs, I’d love a 2 1/2 hour drive to watch him play. They are only in HS once in their life, so enjoy it. Plus, these long bus rides will be something these kids will never forget and will be talked about for years to come in their lives. They will be turned into “Remember when....” stories and the length of the trip will be exaggerated more and more the older they get. So remember once it’s over, it’s not coming back. People will always find something to complain about but taking a road trip to a HS football game shouldn’t be one of them.

I actually agree with this except you've taken it away from the lower seeds who won't make the 3rd round. Part of the thing I liked about the first two rounds was playing teams you've never played before or rarely. Going to stadiums you've never been to. Now they don't get that. They get to play a team they played 2 or 3 weeks ago.

St.X has least travel of any team in state that isn’t a home team. Manual stadium .7 miles away and then Male 3.5 miles away. Crazy the distances some teams have to go, but better to be traveling than sitting at home.

Edited by Tigerpride94
Added correct distance to Manual stadium.

If a Northern Ky and Louisville team ever meet they could fly. I had a connecting flight once and flew from NKY to Louisville and was like 30 minute flight. Obviously cost prohibitive but funny could actually do it.

Years ago Piedmont had a flight from Louisville to Lexington. 15 minute flight. It was almost like you were there before you left.

The seeding should’ve been for the final 4 teams.

The way the current format is done doesn’t allow for the best teams to play in the semis for the most part. It may not be every year but this year it does. For example South Warren and Scott County may be two of the top 4 teams in 5a but they are out in the 2nd round. Lexington Christian may be one of the two best teams in 2a but they are out on the 2nd round. And you still have a ton of travel in round 3 and 4.

If a Northern Ky and Louisville team ever meet they could fly. I had a connecting flight once and flew from NKY to Louisville and was like 30 minute flight. Obviously cost prohibitive but funny could actually do it.

I was on a connecting flight from Dayton to Cincinnati. 12 minutes in the air.

If you are looking at it from a pure nostalgia point of view i can understand that. But when you are coaching and trying to get your team in the best scenario a two hour ride for a district game is not good nor is a 3 hour bus ride for the 3rd or 4th round. It is what it is (I get that). I just don't agree with the idea of 'I would just be happy to be going'. We want to go and be in position to win. Doesn't always happen. Not trying to argue your point just wanting to explain mine. I played ball for a long time and have coached for a long time and I don't recall or have I heard many if any good stories about riding through the middle of the night for 3 hours or longer as being anything exhilarating, exciting or fun. Again, not a knock on your perspective just explaining it from this old average coaches point of view.

The way the current format is done doesn’t allow for the best teams to play in the semis for the most part. It may not be every year but this year it does. For example South Warren and Scott County may be two of the top 4 teams in 5a but they are out in the 2nd round. Lexington Christian may be one of the two best teams in 2a but they are out on the 2nd round. And you still have a ton of travel in round 3 and 4.

They could keep the RPI and just go back to playing cross-district in the first two rounds. Then those good teams you mentioned would probably still be playing.