Guess I'm bored so here we go. Travel Distances

BEChargers

The way the current format is done doesn’t allow for the best teams to play in the semis for the most part. It may not be every year but this year it does. For example South Warren and Scott County may be two of the top 4 teams in 5a but they are out in the 2nd round. Lexington Christian may be one of the two best teams in 2a but they are out on the 2nd round. And you still have a ton of travel in round 3 and 4.

Under the old system, South Warren and Scott County would have been out before the semis as well.

These travel distances were one of the reasons we were told that the playoff format was changed. So we could all save money and not travel as far.:idunno: And to create excitement for round 3 and 4. I wonder how excited the fans are to make those 2 1/2 to 3 hour drives.

Coach, if my son or daughter were in the state playoffs and I had the ability and time to be there, distance doesn't matter. My parents only saw me play one sporting event in my life. Would I have liked for them to be at every one? Probably, but I knew they couldn't be there and it really did not bother me as a young man. The way I grew up, my brother and I took what life gave us and we went with it.

Franklin-Simpson to Madisonville NH is 95 miles. I hr 36 min. This outcome could have happened under to previous system. Except that FS would have played Calloway Co in the first round then Madisonville in the second. Hoptown would have played Russell Co then Allen Co.

Had Franklin Co won FS would have 2 hr 33 min 172 mi trip to Frankfort.

I personally find it amusing to have fans complaining about their team having to travel over 2 hrs for a 3rd round playoff game.

Fortunately for our friends in the more central populated areas, they generally seem to compile a decent schedule without having to drive more then an hour to do so. While your stronger programs in the more geographically isolated areas, routinely have to drive 2 plus hours for a regular season game, sometimes even district matchups.

Take for instance, Johnson Central. Their non district away games this season on average was 97.75 miles. Their district opponents are an average 85.5 miles with the closest bring 61 miles away. If your team is playing, just be happy. Many coaches and players would love to take your place!

I wonder how many people on this board besides you and me even remember Piedmont....

And Allegheny, and Eastern, and....

I flew Piedmont from Richmond, VA to Louisville on a prop plane. It stopped in Roanoke, Huntington & Cincinnati before it landed in Louisville. It was about a 6 hour flight.

I flew Piedmont from Nashville to Charlotte when I was at Davidson. Stops in Knoxville and Asheville. Best thing thing was when Piedmont started non-stop service. 59 minutes from Nashville to Charlotte. Arrived one minute before I left.

I personally do not like the current format because I feel the best teams should have the chance to play each other in later rounds. But like it has been said, no system is perfect.

The only way that will happen is if they seed the entire playoffs from the beginning, and they'll never do that.

The bottom line is that as boring as this playoff system is in the first 2 rounds (and it is) it solved exactly what they wanted to. Your first couple of rounds (usual blowout games) were played in a closer driving distance to have a chance to up gates and cut down on the cost to the schools that drive 2 hours knowing a spanking is coming (buses aren't free), and their fans are much more likely to show up 25 minutes away. Many schools actually lost money in the playoffs.

You're now into the 3rd round and having to travel a bit, but the reality is that if you win enough you're going to travel at some point.