Snow pictures Tuesday 11/12/19

nWo

Just snow brought that down?

We got a little freezing rain along with about 2 inches of heavy wet snow at my house. We also had some high winds.

That looks like my neighbor's tree from about 3 years ago. Just curious, is it by chance one of those Bradford Pear trees? Theirs was. I believe they are notoriously weak.

I believe it is my wife and I planted it when we built our house in 2002. The following picture is from 2018. That tree has been through the 2009 ice storm and then the heavy snow we got last year.

29104003_10159920996075212_7379426659809624064_o.jpg

@nWo I would consider myself very fortunate, if I were you. I am surprised you haven't had anything split and fall on your house and/or vehicles by now. A little town up here in NKY decided to line their main street with Bradford Pears a decade or so ago. And yes, every spring it looks very pretty. But, later each spring there'll also be multiple trees with major limb issues where they've split at the crotch.

I had a Bradford Pear split in my yard 2 years ago. Luckily the split side that fell did not fall toward my house, and my car wasn't there.

I'd like to put something else in, but unsure what to replace it with. I definitely do not want another Bradford Pear.

The two varieties that I've heard mentioned the most as alternatives are dogwoods and crepe myrtles. I'm sure there's bound to be others, too.

I had a Bradford Pear split in my yard 2 years ago. Luckily the split side that fell did not fall toward my house, and my car wasn't there.

I'd like to put something else in, but unsure what to replace it with. I definitely do not want another Bradford Pear.

Hurricane Ike nailed my Bradford Pear.

Crab Apple, Redbud.

That part of the tree that came down was one we were going to prune back because it was close to being over the sidewalk. My next door neighbor a few minutes ago said that she heard it when the branch came down. She was worried that it hit my wife's car or my truck. It actually fell between them.