Is Franklin-Simpson in trouble at 0-2?

For three (3) straight years, Franklin-Simpson has played for a state championship. They've won 2 of the 3. All have been against Johnson Central. Unlike the past three (3) years, Franklin-Simpson has started out the season 0-2. Losses to Greenwood and Meade County. The question remains, can Franklin-Simpson re-group and play for another state title or will their struggles continue downward?

FS will be the underdog in the next two games. Both are on the road at South Warren and Battle Ground Academy in Franklin, TN. South Warren is a familiar name to BGP. BGA just beat Father Ryan from Nashville 34-28. Father Ryan beat Bowling Green last week 24-21. FS has its work cut out and an 0-4 start would not shock me now. Really the only shock has been the Greenwood loss. I expected the Meade County game to be a toss-up. If FS played Meade 10 times, they’d probably go 5-5.

After that stretch, FS plays Russellville and will be favored in that game and all their district games. A road game at Glasgow is probably another toss-up game as well. Barring injuries, FS will still be favored to get to the third round, and then who knows where they’ll be with the new RPI based playoff seeding.

FS has given up eight touchdowns through two games. Four of those opponent’s touchdown drives started inside the FS 20 yard line after FS turnovers. The Wildcats must eliminate their mistakes and the young players have to continue to show improvement. I saw some of that improvement Friday. Coach Preston’s teams always seem to peak at the right time and I think every year he’s been there FS has gotten as far as they possibly could with the talent they have. I think that will be the case this year as well, whether that means a championship or not.

I wouldn’t say FS is in trouble, but the road to a three-peat will be very tough as expected.

Is FS "in trouble"? It's a bunch of kids playing football. Nobody is "in trouble".

In 2017 FS followed a 14-1 State Runner Up season by starting 2-3. Running clock losses to South Warren and Elizabethtown with a tight loss to Meade. After that they rolled to 10 wins 9 of which were double digit wins including the 35-20 jaw dropper over Johnson Central.

In 2013 FS started 2-4. End result was a Regional Championship game a Rash Stadium against Owensboro. It was one of the best high school games i have ever witnessed. Neither team would blink and time ran out on the Wildcats inside the OHS 10 yard line.

This year's team is younger age wise and younger experience wise than 2017. Even with the loss to Meade Co they showed marked improvement over opening night. As FSfan stated, an 0-4 start will not be a shocker. But after facing a rising 5A team, a rising 6A team, last year's undefeated 5A State Champion, and one of the best private school teams in Tennessee they inexperienced will have experience and the younger ones will be older and tougher.

The ceiling this year may be a Regional Championship game. We shall see. It's why we play the games.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

I like our team and kids. We will continue to do our best and improve weekly. It's nice to be in the conversation. Thanks for discussing our team.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

I like our team and kids. We will continue to do our best and improve weekly. It's nice to be in the conversation. Thanks for discussing our team.

I like this team as well. The difference week one to week two was tangible. They have seen what it takes to be a champion.

This isn't trouble...it's the process.

I think it is too early to throw dirt on anyone, but it does bring up a significant point that F-S will be hindered by the new playoff system and RPI if they were to start 0-4 because it weighs wins so heavily.

That Glasgow game to end the year may have major RPI ramifications as the Scotties should come in with 7 or 8 wins.

F-S and Central should be pretty tight in RPI standings throughout the year because both played very tough Non-District schedules. Madisonville will be tough to catch in the RPI if they perform how they should and get 8-10 wins.

Still a LOT can happen.