New vs. Used (Cars)

MJAlltheWay24

I'm unfortunately starting the process of looking for a new car and will probably be purchasing a new one this weekend. My 2006 Nissan Altima just has too many things wrong with her and isn't worth putting more money into her.

I've always thought that getting a certified used car was the way to go but I'm starting to lean to just buying a brand new one. Especially because I think I found a deal for a car I like and I think I can get 0% APR for 36 months.

Are you usually a used or new car kinda person? What are your thoughts? I figured this would just create some good conversation.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be able to help you because I've never had a brand new vehicle...ever. Just couldn't fathom buying a vehicle at one price, and driving it off the lot and it be worth substantially less. I've had several that I've gotten where they were only 2 or 3 years old. The others were a few more than that.

I've always been a used car guy, but I've always been on a pretty strict budget. Last time I bought a car I hadn't been out of law school for long. Driving a 2010 Camry now and I'd bet I'll be looking to replace it this time next year.

I won't be able to help you because I've never had a brand new vehicle...ever. Just couldn't fathom buying a vehicle at one price, and driving it off the lot and it be worth substantially less. I've had several that I've gotten where they were only 2 or 3 years old. The others were a few more than that.

I have always felt the same but when I start looking at the price of let's say a 2018 with 40K miles on it already, or a 2015-2016 with 55-60K miles and accidents in their history. Part of me feels like I'm just better off buying the brand new one with basically 0 miles, zero accident history and 0% APR for 36 months.

This stuff causes me anxiety and stress me out haha!

I have always felt the same but when I start looking at the price of let's say a 2018 with 40K miles on it already, or a 2015-2016 with 55-60K miles and accidents in their history. Part of me feels like I'm just better off buying the brand new one with basically 0 miles, zero accident history and 0% APR for 36 months.

This stuff causes me anxiety and stress me out haha!

Oh, I can agree it can be quite stressful. I've found the best times I've had buying a vehicle were the times when I wasn't actually looking to buy. Just happened to come across the vehicle and only then began wondering if it made sense. I've had two times where either my wife or I had been involved in an accident and NEEDED to get another vehicle. Those were the worst, buying on a deadline.

During my working years I was always a new car guy. Am now well into my retirement years and my last 2 have been used private purchases from owners I know. Incidentally, after 40+++ years of going only to dealers for service, two different shops tried monkey business unneeded repairs on my wife. It will be very hard for me to ever buy or go back to them.

Oh, I can agree it can be quite stressful. I've found the best times I've had buying a vehicle were the times when I wasn't actually looking to buy. Just happened to come across the vehicle and only then began wondering if it made sense. I've had two times where either my wife or I had been involved in an accident and NEEDED to get another vehicle. Those were the worst, buying on a deadline.

Thankfully I wasn't involved in an accident, but my current car is no longer safer to drive. So I definitely need a car and will probably be buying it this weekend. Guess its a good time to need one with all the deals this weekend.

There is an ease of mind that you just don’t get with a used car. I’ve leased, bought used, and bought new. For the wife’s van, we went new. Being the primary family hauler, we didn’t need to worry about anything. Granted, breaking down outside of Knoxville on our way to Florida with our old van probably played into that decision. However, we got what I thought was a great deal on a year end clearance sale. Plus, it’s nearly impossible to find a slightly used van that isn’t already beat up and stained on the inside.

For my cars/trucks, outside of leasing once before, I’ve bought used. My next truck will also be used as I have a hard time justifying the money on my ride, which is basically a 2nd vehicle.

For my cars/trucks, outside of leasing once before, I’ve bought used. My next truck will also be used as I have a hard time justifying the money on my ride, which is basically a 2nd vehicle.

A new truck can run upwards of $50-80k. That's a simply ridiculous price to buy new. Can't see how anyone justifies that.

I've always been a used car guy, but I've always been on a pretty strict budget. Last time I bought a car I hadn't been out of law school for long. Driving a 2010 Camry now and I'd bet I'll be looking to replace it this time next year.

I have a 2011 Camry with close to 150,000 miles on it. I bought it used in 2012. Apparently, the previous owner had to get rid of it quickly and they did so in a trade-in (to a Chevrolet dealership, no less). That dealership had no idea how to properly evaluate and price that Toyota. It was perfect timing for me. I saw the listing, couldn't believe the discount and jumped all over it. Deals are out there for used cars if you are patient in your research, in your personal evaluation and in your negotiating technique. It is so much fun messing with sales people on used cars because you usually have more room than with a new car. I take my son with me. We have this "routine" where we look over the car thoroughly (inside, outside and under the car). We put on a show pretending to discuss things, pointing, shaking our heads, etc, etc knowing the sales person is watching us. When we negotiate, we are never in a hurry. We are always willing to walk giving the impression that we have other options. I NEVER take their latest offer. I will only buy a used car if they accept MY number. I've gotten some great deals over the years.

I have leased since the late 80s. Good and bad, I get a new vehicle ever 3 yrs, but we have very low miles and of course I always have a payment, but on the up side, lower payments than buying and other than oil changes no maintence fees. I sold cars for a local Chevrolet dealer for a while and many times people would come in looking for used and after working some numbers it was about the same payments, as buying a new car, look for rebates if buying new and always ask if they have any dealer incentives on the model you are looking at. If you are trading in, work that part hard, some dealers hold money on the trade in, they usually have at least 2 numbers on trade in, if not three. Good luck.

I’ve almost always bought used. There’s always good deals an great cars with low mileage, and with sites like car guru and cars.com, those deals are easy to find. We did just buy a new car for my wife in December. It was a 2018 they were clearing out that was only a couple grand more than used cars of the same make and model. With financing deals (0%), it made buying new a no brainer. I still would lean towards buying used.