Aug 31 Russell at Russell

Sept 6 Rowan Co. at Rowan

Sept 13 Pikeville at Pikeville

Sept 20 OPEN

Sept 27 Portsmouth West at Raceland

Oct 4 Ashland at Ashland

Oct 11 Betsy Lane at Raceland (District) Homecoming

Oct 18 Fairview at Raceland (District)

Oct 25 Paintsville at Paintsville (District)

Nov 1 Lawrence Co. at Raceland

This is the first time that the Raceland schedule has had several changes in quite a while. 1A EKY Power Pikeville has been added as well as Betsy Lane has been added to the district with 4A Rowan as a new EKC contest. Our game with Russell is moved to early season and the Rams open up w / Greenup Co. while the Ashland game flipped to closer to mid season, where GC used to be.

As always with the Rams. this is an extremely tough road for what will be imo a team not as strong as in the past several years. Raceland has been blessed w / several strong classes coming through in consecutive years. The cupboard will not be bare by any stretch, just not as deep as in the past 4-8 yrs.

I'm looking forward to next season but hey, this is Raceland.

Solid. Interesting that they scheduled Pikeville in the regular season.
I've been wondering on that one myself, seeing how should both advance they play in the state semi finals. Then again, we've had to end up playing Paintsville in the dist. and then again in a Region championship.

That's a very solid schedule. I like the structure. Some big rivalry games right outta the gate before an improving Rowan County program sets the table for the huge tilt with Pikeville. Then a break before some tough midseason matchups. Finish up with the ever important district clash with Paintsville and a tough, scrappy LC team before the playoffs come calling.

Solid. Interesting that they scheduled Pikeville in the regular season.

This is the third time the two have shared a regular season series. I like that game being on the schedule. Two of the Eastern powers in 1A, I think they should play as much as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Aug. 9 at Belfry 6:30 pm

Aug. 16 Montgomery County at Raceland 8pm EKC (Grid)

Fairview isn't playing the EKC grid this year. That changed some of the matchups for the ekc grid. They(Fairview) might have dropped out of the EKC. I am not sure.

Edited by GOREDDEVILS

I agree. They will definitely see how good there run defense is against Belfry.

It's a smart scrimmage if you're Raceland. The secondary should be in good shape, but that front seven needs to be tested. The new linebackers, especially, will grow up a little that night.

Only eight freshmen for the Rams this year. It's been a decade or more since they had a frosh class that small.

It Could get like that more often if the reciprocal enrollment dispute between Greenup County School District and Raceland gets ruled in favor of Greenup County.

This basically explains it, A little snippet from an article in the paper back on July 23rd. By MIKE JAMES The Independent: The issue dates back to 2013, when Greenup began limiting the numbers of students it would exchange to Raceland. Greenup did so because more students living in the district were choosing Raceland than the other way around, which led to a net loss in state funding, which is based on enrollment and attendance.

According to the article they're both going to abide by Kentucky Commissioner of Education Wayne D. Lewis Jr. Decision until the ruling.That decision allows cross-enrollment on a one-to-one basis, with an exception for multiple-child families with one or more children already enrolled in the other district.

This will certainly affect Raceland sports in general, not just Football if the hearing officer rules in favor of Greenup County. The ruling is expected in October.

Edited by GOREDDEVILS