Can Male's Garrett Dennis beat out Wandale for AP Mr. Football?

DevilMayCare

With his late season push, can Dennis beat out Robinson for Mr. Football?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. With his late season push, can Dennis beat out Robinson for Mr. Football?

For most of the 2018 season, the overwhelming majority opinion has been that Mr. Football is Wandale Robinson's to lose. He did claim the inaugural KFCA Mr. Football award, but the traditional AP award hasn't been announced yet.

Could the events of the past several weeks - Robinson bowing out in the first round of the playoffs, his de-commitment from UK, and Dennis closing out the season by leading Male past St. X, Trinity, and Scott County to claim the 6A title - sway voters into crowning Garrett Dennis as Mr. Football?

Resume comparison…

Robinson, Western Hills (7-4, lost in the first round)

- 2,698 yards (1,973 rushing, 725 receiving) from scrimmage

- 43 offensive TDs (30 rushing, 11 receiving, 2 passing)

- Team high 119 tackles

- 3 interceptions (1 pick-six)

- 6 forced fumbles (1 fumble recovery for a TD)

- 2 kick return TDs

Dennis, Male (14-1, 6A State Champions)

- 171 of 256 (67%) as a passer

- 3,612 yards of total offense (2,491 passing, 1,121 rushing)

- 51 total TDs (34 passing, 17 rushing)

- Just 7 interceptions

- He accounted for 322 yards per game of total offense and 9 TDs in Male's wins over St. X, Trinity, and Scott County

I’m sure someone on here knows. I’ve heard the rumor that to win it you have to be committed to UK. I wonder if this is just a rumor or if there is any substance to it. Anyone know how many have won it that we’re committed to another school other then UK? Would be real interested to know if this is a myth or not.

I’m sure someone on here knows. I’ve heard the rumor that to win it you have to be committed to UK. I wonder if this is just a rumor or if there is any substance to it. Anyone know how many have won it that we’re committed to another school other then UK? Would be real interested to know if this is a myth or not.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, :lol2:. But to humor the idea, only four Mr. Football's have gone to Kentucky since 2000.

Kash Daniel

Pat Towles

Micah Johnson

Curtis Pulley

I'm definitely biased, but I would vote for Dennis for the following reasons:

Strength of schedule - Clearly Male played the more difficult schedule.

Production in most difficult games - Dennis' production was better in their most difficult games. Robinson produced in every game, but like almost every player, he produced less against the best teams on his schedule.

Team Success - I think team success should matter. (Not the only factor, but certainly something to be considered.) Male 14-1, 6A State Champs. Western Hills 7-4, did not win a playoff game. When it mattered most, Dennis' competitiveness and will to win were incredible.

If Robinson's de-commitment from UK has anything to do with the vote, that would go to further prove how much of a joke the award is.

If anybody came out and said that was the reason why they didn't vote for someone (where he was going to school), they should be stripped of their right to vote. Immediately. If not sooner.

I have had the pleasure of seeing both of these guys play since middle school. Obviously great players that have the "it factor" I'm definitely curious to see how Robinson fares against bigger stronger competition. No doubt he is a great player but a part of me wishes he transferred to Trinity and we would be able to see his ability against better competition. There's no way you can equate what Robinson did against the teams he played to Dennis. Garrett played so many positions for Male just like Robinson. He did all of this work with pretty much one season at QB. It's been argued he should have played QB his entire jr year but he did all of this without coming off a great junior season.

AP Award is in jeopardy of digging itself deeper into its' credability crisis. Garrett Dennis is a warrior and far exceeded everyone's expectations as QB for Male. He had a great senior year. Robinson's senior #s were off the charts as was his entire high school body of work. When the 17(?) AP writers don't choose Rondale Moore (because he only played 1 1/2 years and becomes a D1 All-American at Purdue this year as a freshman) it begins to bring their statewide knowledge and judgement into question. Robinson should be the unanimous choice.