BluegrassPreps Class 1A Pre-Season Rankings (Discussion)

Ram

Class 1A

No matter the year, no matter the roster, Beechwood will be a pre-season title contender in Class 1A. The Tigers took home the 2017 trophy and will be the team everyone is chasing once more. Class 1A will be absolutely stacked in the Eastern Semi-State with four of the Top Five teams all hailing from the Mountain Region. A pair of teams expecting to take huge steps forward will highlight the remaining spots in the Top 7. Campbellsville and Crittenden County seem to enter on an almost even keel and, starting with their opening week games, will be two teams to monitor in the rankings.

1. Beechwood -- OPEN

2. Pikeville at 2A Covington Holy Cross

3. Raceland at 3A Lawrence County

4. Hazard -- OPEN

5. Paintsville vs. 3A Estill County

6. Campbellsville vs. 2A Metcalfe County at Campbellsville University (8/18)

7. Crittenden County vs. Stewart County (TN)

8. Williamsburg at Jellico (TN)

9. Frankfort at 3A Thomas Nelson

10. Paris at 4A Rockcastle County

I love pre-season hype but that is all it is. Until the playoffs begin, these predictions mean very little. I am really interested in how the new seeding system for the State semis affects regular season play. Will teams run scores up trying to impress the powers that be or will the way a team is playing in the playoffs matter more? It's going to be interesting.

Interesting that most, if not all, of the top 10 teams have chosen not to take on a 1A opponent in their first week of play. Don't know abt the two TN schools.

The only 1A teams we (Raceland) play are our District and playoff games.

And, I would say most of the top tier teams do the same.

Paintsville is a bit of a mystery team here. I haven't seen or heard much about them. This is probably their lowest preseason ranking in several years. Are they going to be down a little this year?

This is shaping up to be the smallest roster they've had since Chirico's first year. With Jaylyn Allen, John Phelps, Josh McClurg, good size on the lines, and several other key returnees, I expect Paintsville to put a starting unit on the field that can compete with almost anyone in this class, talent wise. An apparent lack of depth could be what holds them back.

I love pre-season hype but that is all it is. Until the playoffs begin, these predictions mean very little. I am really interested in how the new seeding system for the State semis affects regular season play. Will teams run scores up trying to impress the powers that be or will the way a team is playing in the playoffs matter more? It's going to be interesting.

Can you refresh us on how the semi-finals will be seeded?

However, I think that whoever that multiple coin is, wins this year.

Very interesting statement. Do you think the hype goes to Beechie's head this year? Are they caught looking ahead to 2A? Or, are you simply playing the odds that a three-pete is extremely rare? Or, perhaps they are just O-VER-RAT-ED??