Ken Burns Civil War

I've seen this documentary time after time. The Civil War has always been a time period that has intrigued me. A time where things were at such a turmoil in which man would bleed his blood against his own countrymen in a fight for the freedom of other men and for the preservation of the Union.

Shelby Foote is a great speaker in this documentary. The many perspectives that he and other bring are incredibly informative.

As a reader of Civil War books authored/ biographed by/about US Grant, Basil W. Duke, William T. Sherman, Thomas Jackson, Albert Sidney Johnston, President Lincoln and Jefferson Davis and many more I realize that this was the most fragile time in our country's history.

For some reason, I romanticize over this time period. I don't know if it is because of the freedom of man, for the preservation of the Union, or for the reasons that both the North and South sought to fight.

But I've seen this documentary at least five times through and yet here I set again.... if there is a better Civil War documentary then I don't know one.

I have owned it for years. Have it on video tape and DVD. As a comprehensive series, there is nothing like it available. There are documentaries regarding specifics of the conflict that are better, though. However, there is no way Burns could be that detailed without making his series last longer than the war did.

You should read Shelby Foote's 3 volume set, "The Civil War: A Narrative", especially if you are interested in the details of each siege and battle.

It set the hook in you with the ending of episode one.

The Sullivan Ballou Letter being read and then the narrator voice inserted: “Sullivan Ballou was killed at the First Battle of Bull Run.”

Immediately put flesh and blood and life with the history.

It set the hook in you with the ending of episode one.

The Sullivan Ballou Letter being read and then the narrator voice inserted: “Sullivan Ballou was killed at the First Battle of Bull Run.”

Immediately put flesh and blood and life with the history.

That is probably the best scene/vignette. Some of my other favorite quotes from the series:

Abraham Lincoln, after the Vicksburg victory, saying "The Father of Waters again goes unvexed to the sea."

Shelby Foote, talking about a rabbit at Gettysburg, who a Confederate soldier yelled to: "Run, old hare! If I was an old hare I'd run, too." Then Foote chuckles and says "it wasn't all valor."

That is probably the best scene/vignette. Some of my other favorite quotes from the series:

Abraham Lincoln, after the Vicksburg victory, saying "The Father of Waters again goes unvexed to the sea."

Shelby Foote, talking about a rabbit at Gettysburg, who a Confederate soldier yelled to: "Run, old hare! If I was an old hare I'd run, too." Then Foote chuckles and says "it wasn't all valor."

Shelby Foote’s knowledge and commentary was a goldmine for this documentary.