Devin Booker wins 3 Point Contest

The “Players Only” crew and their production has been one of my favorite things about this NBA season, but I’d love to listen to this contest without commentary. Crank up that rim mic and let the string music commence.

I always thought he was one of the most talented players of the Cal era at UK. I remember before the 2015 draft having a big debate with some of the top BGP basketball gurus about Booker versus D'Angelo Russell. I thought Booker was underrated, Russell overrated and that Booker would have a better NBA career than Russell. The basketball gurus on BGP belittled my opinion. I feel even better about my opinion now than I did then.

I always thought he was one of the most talented players of the Cal era at UK. I remember before the 2015 draft having a big debate with some of the top BGP basketball gurus about Booker versus D'Angelo Russell. I thought Booker was underrated, Russell overrated and that Booker would have a better NBA career than Russell. The basketball gurus on BGP belittled my opinion. I feel even better about my opinion now than I did then.

And I still think you are wrong. Winning the three point contest doesn’t make him a better player. It just tells us what we already knew. Booker is a better shooter. Both are immensely talented but at the end of the day Russell is still the more complete player. Both are recovering from injury and both of them play on trash teams. Hell, Booker just came back to Phoenix on Wednesday so he could participate in All Star Saturday without looking like a selfish player.

And I still think you are wrong. Winning the three point contest doesn’t make him a better player. It just tells us what we already knew. Booker is a better shooter. Both are immensely talented but at the end of the day Russell is still the more complete player. Both are recovering from injury and both of them play on trash teams. Hell, Booker just came back to Phoenix on Wednesday so he could participate in All Star Saturday without looking like a selfish player.

:lol2:

OK my man. We will continue to wait for their careers to evolve. But for point of clarification, I am not basing my comment on him winning the 3 point shooting contest. I am looking at what Booker has done in his three years in the league versus Russell.

OK my man. We will continue to wait for their careers to evolve. But for point of clarification, I am not basing my comment on him winning the 3 point shooting contest. I am looking at what Booker has done in his three years in the league versus Russell.

One is a shooter who plays shooting guard on a crappy team. The other is a versatile PG who does a little bit of everything above average and had played for two crappy teams. They are both horrible defenders who have made names for themselves on the offensive end. A comparable ceiling for one is Ray Allen/Reggie Miller. The comparable ceiling for the other is James Harden, maybe. I expect both to be All Stars in the near future.

I’ll also add that Russell now plays for a team that doesn’t allow any of their players to play for more than 30 minutes a game. While the Suns will let Devin play 40 minutes a game every night. Their per 36 minutes numbers are extremely close and the only thing Devin has on D’Angelo is PPG.

• 5 months later...

I’m loving what I am seeing from both of them this offseason. They have been working out together a lot this offseason.

I watched some highlights of Booker with Team USA and analysts are raving about his footwork and predicting him to win a scoring title one day. He was scoring at will in one on one drills against everyone they threw at him.

D’Angelo has added some muscle to his frame and you can tell he has worked hard. Hopefully his knee issues are behind him and he can play a full season and about 36-40 minutes a game to show is his full potential. I don’t expect him to get that many minutes because of their system but if he can get at least 35 minutes I think everyone will see a much different player.

D’Angelo will be a free agent after this season.