4A 2018

It’s early, but what do you see happening?

Will FS repeat?

Doubtful. 4A is probably the most wide-open of the classes in terms of teams that can "win it" so it takes a little bit of a special run to win it if your name isn't Highlands or Boyle Co.

Franklin has to be one of the top four, regardless that you would consider a favorite. JC gets their running back back and that will help a lot. FS's district is no pushover either.

4A is certainly a fun class to be in if you want a shot. Kudos to FS for doing what we all though FS would do when 6 classes happened. Who knows, they could go on a run.

I can see Hopkinsville being a big threat to Franklin-Simpson in Region 1. They jumped on FS 20-0 before FS came back to win and I think the Tigers have a lot coming back. Coach Clayton may soon have them back to where they used to be.

Collins is losing their QB J.R. Lucas. He was the most impressive player I saw FS play against all year. If they have a QB capable of playing like he did, they will be good as well and favorites in Region 2.

Don't know much about Region 3. Wayne Co. has been the best there lately but are losing a lot of seniors I think including the 4A player of the year QB Lorenzo Linsey.

Johnson Central is going to be very good for a while. They have a lot coming back. Hopefully Joe Jackson will be healed up and ready to play for them next season.

FS returns 2 of its 1000 yard rushers and 4 of the starting offensive linemen. Also returning big receiver Jevon Covington. Biggest losses will be at QB and on defense particularly in the front seven.

Very early prediction is for FS vs. JC for the third year in a row but expect Hopkinsville, Collins and Ashland to have the best chance to keep that from happening.

What does Collins have coming back next year. Who are the other favorites for Region 2 and 3?

Collins lost a great group of kids this year.

They have been playing a lot of younger kids whk will have to step up next year. I would keep an eye on John Hardin and what goes on down there.

Repeating in 4A is difficult. More teams have won 4A since the beginning of six classes than any other division. Eight different schools have claimed the championship with only Boyle Co and Highlands being back to back winners. Five Championship games have been a five point margin or less with one overtime game.

District One Prediction:

1. Hopkinsville--The Tigers finished strong. Craig Clayton will get the Tigers back to being the Hopkinsville Tigers. There are a lot of exceptional athletes on that team.

2. Logan County--Lots of excitement around this program. They are still hungry and Coach Adler is doing a great job. The schedule will be the same a 2017 so they should be able to keep the confidence growing and hone their scheme.

3. Madisonville--A team full of athletes that doesn't seem to know what to do with themselves. Potential is there if they just play football.

4. Hopkins Central--A ways to go. The kids that played did so with enthusiasm. Problem was there was only one bus to transport the team and it was about half full.

5. Calloway Co.---New coach next year. It's a long rocky road. We may be looking at a 3 or 4 year streak of futility.

District 2 Prediction:

1. Franklin-Simpson--Offense returns almost everyone. Brady is a big hole to fill on both sides of the ball. Huge. Defensively there is some work to do. Early on there could be some shoot-outs.

2. Warren East--You get the feeling that this is a team ready for something big. They led FS 7-3 at halftime before falling 45-14. The potential to challenge FS is there.

3. Allen County-Scottsville--The Patriots will always be competitive because they train hard, practice hard, and play hard. They could challenge WE for the 3 spot.

4. Warren Central--The culture at WC seems to have shifted to futbol. The football program showed positive signs in '17 but...no likely to be a factor in '18.

Region 1: My opinion is that is comes down to FS and Hoptown at Shadetree Stadium. The last three times these two met have been:

A 2OT FS win.

A 1OT FS win.

An FS win in which they came back from down 20-0 to win 35-20.

Madisonville returns a lot as well as most of District 1 and FS in District 2, there seems to be a lot of emotion from Macdon in the last two posts regarding the Maroons from a game where both teams came away not looking like choir boys, Big Congratulations to FS on the State Championship in 2017 and hopefully if the two are able to cross paths next season the game will be closer and with less emotion from both sides. Good luck to all teams this offseason in preparation for what should be a great 2018 Season!

The Maroons succumbed to injuries and frustration to end a decent 2017 season. With a strong offseason of weights, plyos, possible schematic changes, and the character building that has continually been addressed I believe Madisonville will have a more successful season in 18. Emotions or not sometimes opinions are based on past experiences or beliefs instead of facts. Region 1 should be tough all the way around again!

Collins is sending off a great class, but also returns a ton of talent and experience. They return one of their top rushers, in bruiser AJ Bradford (602 yds 5 TD’s). They also return three of their top receivers in Toole, Harris, and McBroom. Harris is also the school’s all time INT leader. The OL brings back two all-district members (the entire OL was all-district) in the monstrous Nathan Jacobs and Cory Diaz. Defense returns big contributors such as Logan Coughenour, Dane Kidwell, Miles Megibben, Henry Robbins, DJ Webb, as well as Sicari Toole and Christian McBroom, who I mentioned at WR. The Titans also boast one of the best kickers in the state in Webb Bates. I’m sure I’ve left some kids out, but I’d say things look bright for the Titans in 2018. Not as young as people might expect, given the graduating class. I look for the Titans to make another run in 2018.

Logan County has to be in the mix in Region 1. They had a great season and I’m pretty sure they have most players coming back.

I’m not taking anything away from Logan, but their schedule was very favorable for their run. They have a lot coming back and will be good again, but don’t think they will go deep in the playoffs. @macdon I too think Brady will leave a huge hole for FS to fill. FS will also miss Cade Harvey.

I think WE will be a tough out next year.

I’m not taking anything away from Logan, but their schedule was very favorable for their run. They have a lot coming back and will be good again, but don’t think they will go deep in the playoffs. @macdon I too think Brady will leave a huge hole for FS to fill. FS will also miss Cade Harvey.

I think WE will be a tough out next year.

Logan County's schedule was, and will be in 2018, favorable to producing wins early. It's what a team that had suffered years of losing needed. When they got to district play they knew what winning felt like. Definitely helped them seize the top seed.

They won't be overlooked in 2018 though. Hoptown and Madisonville thought "same ol' Logan Co" and got surprised.

As for FS the loss of Brady, Harvey, Baker, Newland, and Pearson on the defensive side looms large. That is a lot of big plays and tackles to replace. The offensive side should be good to go from day one however.

Warren East will be a tough out in 2018, they were in 2017. ACS has a lot to replace and Central will have to pull a Logan Co resurgence to be a threat.

Hopkinsville will be very very good. I think they dominate D1 and will be a HUGE hurdle for FS.

Collins is sending off a great class, but also returns a ton of talent and experience. They return one of their top rushers, in bruiser AJ Bradford (602 yds 5 TD’s). They also return three of their top receivers in Toole, Harris, and McBroom. Harris is also the school’s all time INT leader. The OL brings back two all-district members (the entire OL was all-district) in the monstrous Nathan Jacobs and Cory Diaz. Defense returns big contributors such as Logan Coughenour, Dane Kidwell, Miles Megibben, Henry Robbins, DJ Webb, as well as Sicari Toole and Christian McBroom, who I mentioned at WR. The Titans also boast one of the best kickers in the state in Webb Bates. I’m sure I’ve left some kids out, but I’d say things look bright for the Titans in 2018. Not as young as people might expect, given the graduating class. I look for the Titans to make another run in 2018.

Who is going to take over at QB? Looking at the stats JR did the vast majority of running and passing which opened up opportunities for others.

Logan County's schedule was, and will be in 2018, favorable to producing wins early. It's what a team that had suffered years of losing needed. When they got to district play they knew what winning felt like. Definitely helped them seize the top seed.

They won't be overlooked in 2018 though. Hoptown and Madisonville thought "same ol' Logan Co" and got surprised.

As for FS the loss of Brady, Harvey, Baker, Newland, and Pearson on the defensive side looms large. That is a lot of big plays and tackles to replace. The offensive side should be good to go from day one however.

Warren East will be a tough out in 2018, they were in 2017. ACS has a lot to replace and Central will have to pull a Logan Co resurgence to be a threat.

Hopkinsville will be very very good. I think they dominate D1 and will be a HUGE hurdle for FS.

Good work. Who replaces Brady and Thomas on the offense?