What Was the Best Game in State Finals History?

gchs_uk9

My father and I have been going to the state finals every year since 1998. I've spent a good deal of time this week thinking about some of the best games I've seen. I thought I'd pose the question to BGP: what was the best game in state finals history?

Caveat: You can't say the Trinity/Male game from 2002 because there really is no competitor to that!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I think it was Collins beating Highlands, 37-34, in 2013. After Highlands had routed them the previous year, Collins just kept fighting and scoring throughout the game. Next to last play of the game, the Collins quarterback has his helmet knocked off and has to leave the game. Backup quarterback proceeds to throw a touchdown pass to win it and secure the first state championship in school history.

Great game!

Edited by gchs_uk9

There are a lot of great games that can be put up for discussion on this one. I will throw the 1A 2007 game between Beechwood and Lexington Christian into the mix. That game had so many big plays and went back and forth all the way. There were big special teams plays. There was a 4th down defensive stop late. It had offense. It had defense. It had great players on both teams who went on to play college football going at it. Final score was Beechwood 38 Lexington Christian 35.

Boyle County 42

Lone Oak 39

A great game. Double overtime, correct? I just remember thinking the entire fourth quarter that if Lone Oak could get one first down they'd win the game. Boyle's defense (especially Zach Hester) came up huge in the second half and overtime.

A great game. Double overtime, correct? I just remember thinking the entire fourth quarter that if Lone Oak could get one first down they'd win the game. Boyle's defense (especially Zach Hester) came up huge in the second half and overtime.

Hester played well, but for me Chris Cook was the best defensive player on the field that day.

For me, I think it was Collins beating Highlands, 37-34, in 2013. After Highlands had routed them the previous year, Collins just kept fighting and scoring throughout the game. Next to last play of the game, the Collins quarterback has his helmet knocked off and has to leave the game. Backup quarterback proceeds to throw a touchdown pass to win it and secure the first state championship in school history.

Great game!

I agree. I was up in the club seats at WKU and saw this. I remember there was a timeout before the TD pass and the starting QB tried to enter the game but the officials noticed it after Mueller and crew pointed it out. I then looked to the Collins bench and noticed the backup QB nod his head in almost acknowledgement that he had it all under control. The ensuing play, TD. Great game.

What was the game in the 90s that the team lost on a bad call by the officials? Was it Prestonburg and Danville? Where the kid dropped back into the endzone and threw the ball in the air at the horn to end the game ant he other team caught it but wasn't given the score? I'm sure my information is all sorts of wrong. :)

NewCath v Danville 2006. NewCath comes back from 17 down with 10 minutes to go. A huge, anchor weighted monkey falls off of the Breds' backs.

That was a great one. Danville had really dominated and then everything just completely fell apart. It was like watching a live train wreck.

What was the game in the 90s that the team lost on a bad call by the officials? Was it Prestonburg and Danville? Where the kid dropped back into the endzone and threw the ball in the air at the horn to end the game ant he other team caught it but wasn't given the score? I'm sure my information is all sorts of wrong. :)

That was Beechwood/Murray in 1994.

Hester played well, but for me Chris Cook was the best defensive player on the field that day.

I'm guessing I remember Hester's play because I've known his father and mother for so long that I always watched him a little closer. Boyle had tons of good players on that team.

NewCath v Danville 2006. NewCath comes back from 17 down with 10 minutes to go. A huge, anchor weighted monkey falls off of the Breds' backs.

Almost made up for 2000 and 2001. 2000 NewCath was down by 6, I believe, in the 3rd and had the ball at the 15 going in to score. QB sack, fumble, and TD return broke the back. 2001 NewCath DOMINATED the 2nd half after a fairly even 1st half everywhere but the scoreboard. Score to go down 1with 5 to go in the 4th and miss the extra point. They got the ball back and, just one of those throws from a great QB...wide receiver was open in the end zone but it just didn't get there and it was picked. Snake bit for sure.