What Was the Best Game in State Finals History?

gchs_uk9

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I will Ludlow 7 Heath 6 in 1975. That one can't be topped.

Wasn't at that one, but I remember reading about Jim Lokesak just pounding the ball all game long. State's leading scorer and 2000+ yards rushing that year, I think. Ludlow finishes 12-1(?)

Heath could't convert on two tries after their 4th Q TD.

Ran against Jim on some relay teams on the track. Great sprinter too.

Edited by Runcible Owl
Limited RAM available. :lol2:

If not Brohm v Bush then...

Trinity vs X 2007

X is undefeated and playing for it's first undefeated season under Mike Glaser (I'm still amazed that he never had an undefeated season but I digress). X had beaten Trinity 24-15 in the regular season game (Glaser held an umbrella at mid field after the game) and came in favored in this contest. X gets a TD on a fake field goal to go up 28-21 at half. The second half is a defensive struggle with no score until Trinity with QB Will Stein mounts a drive and scores with :32 left in the game to tie and force OT. Trinity wins the toss and opts for D first. For some inexplicable reason X passes on first down and the ball is intercepted by Donovan Sims. On 1st down Trinity RB Tim Phillips ran hard and picked up nine yards but was denied the end zone. Next play LB Wes Weitlauf lines up at FB and with everyone expecting him to lead block for Philips he instead takes the hand off and dives over for the winning TD. Great game.

My memory could be going, but I thought Weitlauf REPLACED Phillips after that 9-yd gain. I think everyone expected Weitlauf to get the call.

Also, I'll take 2005 as a T fan. Not only was X looking for Glaser's first undefeated season that year, but also looking for Glaser's back-to-back titles (which he was never able to do). X had beaten T 48-16 in the regular season and it wasn't even really that close. Also snapped a 25-game winning streak for X. Lots of story lines that made T fans smile.

My memory could be going, but I thought Weitlauf REPLACED Phillips after that 9-yd gain. I think everyone expected Weitlauf to get the call.

My memory could be going as well, but didn't Weitlauf run the ball some earlier in the game?

1999. STX vs Bryan Station. OT. In the rain. X won 34-31

IIRC BS got the ball first in OT. As the teams were lined up for the first play, all the STX D linemen flopped to the ground causing BS to false start. Held BS to a FG. STX scored their TD on a 4th down run from the 1. Ran right behind Rabatin, who went on to play center at UofL. BS had Eric Shelton who went to FL St but he ended up transferring to UofL. Hope that is accurate.

This was the game I was going to pick. Great game, if you’re an X fan. Eric Shelton was all over the field on offense and defense.

Runner up would be ‘97 3-0 win for X over T. Coldest game I’ve ever been to. Ben Bousher (sp) with a the lone points on field goal. Bernard Jackson and Chip Mattingly lead a great X defense. Barry King for T was all over the place too for T’s defense.

On a side note, a lot of St. Martha names come up when talking about X/T games!