What Was the Best Game in State Finals History?

gchs_uk9

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Did the ending of the game go down how I remember?

Yep. Beechwood was up 18-14 with only seconds left and had the ball in their own half of the field. Quarterback takes the snap, runs back to the end zone, throws the ball into the air, and the horn sounds. Murray kid catches the ball in the end zone, assuming it would be a touchdown. Referee ruled that he blew the whistle after the Beechwood kid had stepped out of the back of the end zone and was therefore a safety (thus making the final score 18-16), but according to the Courier-Journal the film showed the quarterback tossed the ball in the air while standing on the "L" in Louisville in the end zone. Beechwood won and Murray went home very angry.

Thanks fellas. I knew something crazy had happened. I just couldn't remember the details.

Beechwood/Murray and the Scott County/Meade County fumble are probably the two most controversial games/finishes that I remember. But that's for another thread.

The 2006 NCC v Danville game. All Danville had to do was get one first down towards the end and its over, NewCath out of TOs. QB fumble the center exchange, NewCath hops on it and the rest is history. I remeber watching ICN6 highlights, a Lexington station interviewed a severely upset Danville player and my heart broke when he said quote "All I know is Im not going to play football no more". Kid was was about as close to crying as possible and was being interviewed.

Side note, didnt Danville lose in 1998 on a fluke play as well?

Yep. Beechwood was up 18-14 with only seconds left and had the ball in their own half of the field. Quarterback takes the snap, runs back to the end zone, throws the ball into the air, and the horn sounds. Murray kid catches the ball in the end zone, assuming it would be a touchdown. Referee ruled that he blew the whistle after the Beechwood kid had stepped out of the back of the end zone and was therefore a safety (thus making the final score 18-16), but according to the Courier-Journal the film showed the quarterback tossed the ball in the air while standing on the "L" in Louisville in the end zone. Beechwood won and Murray went home very angry.

With all this technology we have now, would it be possible for anyone to post the video of the ending?

The 2006 NCC v Danville game. All Danville had to do was get one first down towards the end and its over, NewCath out of TOs. QB fumble the center exchange, NewCath hops on it and the rest is history. I remeber watching ICN6 highlights, a Lexington station interviewed a severely upset Danville player and my heart broke when he said quote "All I know is Im not going to play football no more". Kid was was about as close to crying as possible and was being interviewed.

Side note, didnt Danville lose in 1998 on a fluke play as well?

Late in the game the ads called off a fake punt but the players didn’t get the message straight. Punter went one way, back another and the snap between them. Calloway went on to score.

With all this technology we have now, would it be possible for anyone to post the video of the ending?

I was there. Important fact is game clock went to zero as QB Hergott crosses goal line. I heard referees whistle (QB was midway into the end-zone) and hearing the whistle he throws ball up in the air to celebrate victory. Murray player uncontested catches it as Beechwood players celebrate. If whistle had not blown ball dead it would have been a TD. Referee candidly blew the call and had to make an excuse i.e. out of endzone, I guess? Murray refuses to accept runner-up trophy at presentation. I have no clue if they ever did.

What was the game in the 90s that the team lost on a bad call by the officials? Was it Prestonburg and Danville? Where the kid dropped back into the endzone and threw the ball in the air at the horn to end the game ant he other team caught it but wasn't given the score? I'm sure my information is all sorts of wrong. :)

Paging @voiceofreason

I was there. Important fact is game clock went to zero as QB Hergott crosses goal line. I heard referees whistle (QB was midway into the end-zone) and hearing the whistle he throws ball up in the air to celebrate victory. Murray player uncontested catches it as Beechwood players celebrate. If whistle had not blown ball dead it would have been a TD. Referee candidly blew the call and had to make an excuse i.e. out of endzone, I guess? Murray refuses to accept runner-up trophy at presentation. I have no clue if they ever did.

If whistle had not blown ball dead he would not have thrown the ball up so there still would have been no TD.