How does the NCAA come out of it after Tuesday's bombshell?

Jim Schue

There's a lot to unpack following today's FBI announcement into corruption in terms of how athletes are funneled to schools and later into shoe contracts once into the pros.

I have lots of questions, but I'm sure there are more that I haven't even considered. In that light, I invite you to introduce any others you might have that I may have missed. (Please, for the love of God, keep partisan sniping between schools out of this. Nobody's clean in all this; some are just less dirty than others. This is bigger than all of that.)

• Does the NCAA now have a federally-forged spine with which to actually crack down on member institutions who have been using the stall/appeal MO for some time now to avoid the hammer of sanctions/probation/forfeiture of wins?

• Could this lead to a shattering of the fraudulent NCAA amateur model? The black market has always filled in where the universities have failed in terms of player compensation and the value

of their contributions in terms of NCAA TV money.

• Do the Power 5 conferences go ahead with their threats of abandoning the NCAA in search of a greater piece of the TV pie, or does FBI involvement kill all that noise, and ultimately strengthen the NCAA's ability to enforce its own rules?

• Will we see greater federal and/or state regulatory oversight of the capitalism of college sports in terms of labor rights and other concerns?

The NCAA had their chance to take on the shoe companies 25 years ago and deferred. They'll make every effort to deflect and do the old Captain Renault song and dance (I'm shocked -- Shocked! -- to find that there are apparel brands throwing money around amateur basketball!).

Ultimately, I don't see a lot changing unless the Power 5 decide to make their big power play.

Clearly, we're still in joke mode about this, but it's clearly beyond that. Here's another thing to consider that has been mentioned in other threads:

Does the FBI ultimately turn its sights on the NCAA for facilitation of this corrupt system? At the end of the day, that could be the biggest fish to fry, given how the NCAA is incredibly selective about who gets punished (kinda like the NCAA is fed up with Florida and LSU recruiting in football, so UK gets penalized), so as to avoid keeping their big-money schools from being in the big games/tournaments.