Dale Brown hired at Calvary Christian

Was talking to a friend this weekend with some knowledge of the situation here and I don't fault Calvary for making this hire. It's a good look for a program that has had little success and is in a tough district. But, they passed up qualified candidates to wait 4 months for Brown to decide to accept the job. (Speculation but I'm guessing Brown was interviewing at other places during the summer. According to posts on BGP, he interviewed before school was out and was hired in late August.) First question, would you wait out a candidate that you wanted? If so, how long? This is a big hire for Calvary but, was it worth it in their case? Maybe it was.

Leads to my second thought. What happened to Brown at Eminence? Did he leave after his top scorer left or was he let go? Seems unusual after one season when he didn't have the next job lined up. Also, why is a former UK star in the state of KY, with college coaching experience, going from Eminence to Calvary Christian?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown knows basketball, but he doesn't want to do the work required to win at a small school. He runs camps to make personal cash in the summer. High school coaches run camps to develop players and generate cash for their program. No summer program. Does not develop a junior league or jv and freshmen. Took a week vacation during the season. Discipline is very weak. Need I go on.

Brown knows basketball, but he doesn't want to do the work required to win at a small school. He runs camps to make personal cash in the summer. High school coaches run camps to develop players and generate cash for their program. No summer program. Does not develop a junior league or jv and freshmen. Took a week vacation during the season. Discipline is very weak. Need I go on.

He may bring players in if that is Calvarys goal. I loved watching Dale play ball and he seems like a good guy. I just don't see him successful building a program.

Interesting. Well, at least them missing out on a summer program waiting to hire him doesn't seem to be an issue now. I don't see this lasting long, which you would think would be their goal in hiring. Only reason he might stay is that they have one really good player who is young (sophomore I think).

Interesting. Well, at least them missing out on a summer program waiting to hire him doesn't seem to be an issue now. I don't see this lasting long, which you would think would be their goal in hiring. Only reason he might stay is that they have one really good player who is young (sophomore I think).

Mason Roush is a very good player. If the kid was taller people would be all over him. Fearless left handed point guard...

Mason Roush is a very good player. If the kid was taller people would be all over him. Fearless left handed point guard...

That's the name. I don't think I saw a NKAC Division III game last and I know I didn't see him. How tall is he?

A good coach could develop Mason Rousch into a major contributing player who could make the players around him better and the team more effective. The kid has all of the talent in the world, but left to his own devises as he was last year, he plays out of control and without purpose other than to shoot and score. He could be trained to be a top-flight defender but again, steal the ball, was his top priority.

Without discipline in his game he will continue to develop bad habits that will lead to his demise as a top-quality player.

Not liking what I'm hearing about Coach Brown, but its August and I will hope for the best for the Cougars. However, detrimental to the program he might be, he can't possibly be worst than Thomas C. Douthit, Jr, who was the epidemy (sp) of ineptness and laziness disguising himself as a head coach.

I was rooting for Coach Neises who was young and had a lot to learn, but at least he showed some interest and passion in the program, and in time would have learned from hard knocks to become a good head coach.

Good luck to the Cougars!

A good coach could develop Mason Rousch into a major contributing player who could make the players around him better and the team more effective. The kid has all of the talent in the world, but left to his own devises as he was last year, he plays out of control and without purpose other than to shoot and score. He could be trained to be a top-flight defender but again, steal the ball, was his top priority.

Without discipline in his game he will continue to develop bad habits that will lead to his demise as a top-quality player.

Not liking what I'm hearing about Coach Brown, but its August and I will hope for the best for the Cougars. However, detrimental to the program he might be, he can't possibly be worst than Thomas C. Douthit, Jr, who was the epidemy (sp) of ineptness and laziness disguising himself as a head coach.

I was rooting for Coach Neises who was young and had a lot to learn, but at least he showed some interest and passion in the program, and in time would have learned from hard knocks to become a good head coach.

Good luck to the Cougars!

I have not followed their program but from the sounds of it, they need to hire someone with experience. Even if it would just be for a few years. I am thinking of Silver Grove hiring Brownstein a few years ago. I think he only lasted two years but that seems to be the coaching cycle at Calvary anyway. An experienced coach and a little discipline seem to be in order.

This wont have much of an impact unless they start beating some bigger name teams of the 10th Region IMO.

When they start to win, thats when this will be news. (If they can do that)

I agree with you that it isn't really news in that sense but if they hire someone who brings discipline to the team's play and stays for a while, then maybe they could start beating some teams in the 10th.