Poll About Vaccines

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Click All That Apply To You  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Click All That Apply To You

• I get ALL vaccines for myself and my children.
    • I get SOME vaccines for myself or my children.
    • I get NO vaccines myself or my children.
    • I have concerns about vaccines but get them anyway.
    • I do not have concerns about vaccines.
    • I think once infections are eradicated, then vaccines are no longer needed for those infections.
    • I think vaccines can infect you with the disease they are trying to prevent.
    • I think vaccines DO NOT have links to autism.
    • I think vaccines MAY have links to autism.
    • I think vaccines DO have links to autism.
    • I think too many vaccines given at once are bad for the immune system.
    • I think combination vaccines are bad for the immune system.
    • I think infant immune systems can’t handle so many vaccines.
    • I think mercury compounds (thimerosal) in vaccines may be dangerous.
    • I think formaldehyde in vaccines may be dangerous.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone you know writing a paper?

Haha, no. One of my coworkers was complaining at work this morning about 'having to take his daughter to get her flu shot because she has diabetes'. I was asking what his issue was with the flu vaccine, and it started about a 45 minute discussion about vaccines between seven different folks in the office. I was VERY surprised that I was one of three folks total in the conversation who didn't have serious issues with the standard vaccination protocol in the US.

I am a nurse and I can tell you that doctors and nurses have varying opinions about this. I had my kids fully immunized. I have had my shingles vaccine and get the flu vaccine which is required yearly for work. Never had any problems with them or with myself. I know several co workers who swear the flu vaccine makes them sick every year.

The autism issue is interesting. I cannot remember a single person with autism when I was young...although autistic kids could have been put in a different classification. There seems to be so many people with it now. There has to be some causative factor.

I do not remember anyone with peanut allergies which is fairly common and deadly. Asthma was pretty rare but is now also common.

Makes you wonder what is going on with the immune systems of today's youth.

Regardless, even I am not old enough to remember the tragic disabilities and even deaths caused by smallpox, polio, German measeal and even mumps. So I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Regardless, even I am not old enough to remember the tragic disabilities and even deaths caused by smallpox, polio, German measeal and even mumps. So I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Pretty early on in the anti-vaccine movement I remember being at my parents' house when some kind of news story popped up on the TV about it. Afterwards my dad said, "If all the parents of kids these days had grown up in the era when everyone had a couple of friends or relatives who were lifelong cripples after having polio as a kid, they'd give their kids every damn vaccine out there."

It's interesting to think about what kind of impact the first world eradication of several diseases has played in the movement for opting out of vaccines.

I am a nurse and I can tell you that doctors and nurses have varying opinions about this. I had my kids fully immunized. I have had my shingles vaccine and get the flu vaccine which is required yearly for work. Never had any problems with them or with myself. I know several co workers who swear the flu vaccine makes them sick every year.

The autism issue is interesting. I cannot remember a single person with autism when I was young...although autistic kids could have been put in a different classification. There seems to be so many people with it now. There has to be some causative factor.

I do not remember anyone with peanut allergies which is fairly common and deadly. Asthma was pretty rare but is now also common.

Makes you wonder what is going on with the immune systems of today's youth.

Great post

Thanks for the response, woodsy.

Can I ask, is there any particular reason you opt against the flu vaccine? (I totally get it if you just want to keep the answer to yourself.)

Don't think it's necessary and wonder how much of it is a money grab. What was the last new strain a few years ago that was going to kill everyone? Wonder how much money was made off that vaccine? Fact is healthy people on 1st world countries just don't die from things like the flu. I think in the long run the vaccines weaken our bodies. Things like the small pox or polio that had high mortality rates and would even today, sure. But not for what amounts to a really bad cold.

I get the flu vaccine for other people as much as I get it for myself. I think people forget or maybe ignore the fact that these diseases and infections are communicable. If I don’t get infected with the influenza virus, then the people around me are less likely to get the influenza virus. The CDC found that there was an average of 200,000 hospitalizations annually because of the flu.

If I do get the flu, I may be able to get through it and bounce back without too much issue, but the same can’t necessarily be said for my elderly neighbors with their weaker immune systems, or my friend’s infant daughter, or my diabetic cousin. The flu isn’t such a big deal to me, but it can definitely be to them. Maybe I wouldn’t even be the person to give them the flu, but maybe the person I give it to is the person who gives it to the person who gives it to them. I get the flu shot to minimize that virus.