Class 2A Notebook (9-21-15): The Triage Of Mid-Season

ATLCat

I honestly think my wife is the only person I know who still watches ABC's Grey's Anatomy. Just yesterday she reminded me to be sure to set the DVR to ensure it records the season premier this week. In honor of my wife, and the compelling storylines of this past Friday's action I find it fitting to highlight all the McSteamy action we witnessed.

Colts Pull Up Lame

DeSales enjoyed the cat bird seat in 2A all by their lonesome for one week. Following the Mayfield loss to McCracken County last week the Colts were the unanimous choice in the Bluegrasspreps.com 2A Rankings. Between a very talented 5A Fern Creek Defense and some critical injuries including one to QB Austin Johnson the Colts were unable to find their groove and put up a goose egg on the scoreboard in their 14-0 defeat.

Johnson played through injury but it is unclear the extent of what he suffered, The Colts also saw one of their starting HB's leave and unable to return. Suffice to say the BYE is a welcome relief to heal up.

Cards' Future Not As Bright Anymore

Mayfield rolled over rival 5A Graves County 46-14, but the storyline after the game was the injury to super star RB Trajon Bright. Bright departed the game with what appeared to be a substantial arm injury and early reports are he may be out for a good chunk of the regular season and possibly into the playoffs.

What does this mean you may ask? For those not familiar with the Junior RB he is arguably the top back in 2A and rushed for nearly 2000 yards last season. Without Bright Mayfield loses by far their biggest home run threat and a kid who has a knack for coming up huge on the biggest stage.

Mr. Smith's Discharge

As possibly the top RB in 2A departs to the injured reserve, another exploded back into form. Newport Central Catholic opened the year 0-2 without Jacob Smith and earned a hard fought win over Campbell County despite Smith playing a limited role do to cramps. After a tough matchup with Belfry in his first full action, Smith put on full display the difference he makes at 100% as his Breds pummeled an improved 4A Harrison County. Smith exploded for 234 rushing yards and 4 TD's and NewCath gained 470 yards total in the 47-7 rout.

For comparison sake in NewCath's first three games they scored a combined 35 points and gained a combined 212 rushing yards (49 of that total even being what Smith gained in his limited role in Game 3). Expect NewCath to quickly round into form with a healthy lineup.

Walton-Verona's Defibrillator Moment

Many, including the Bluegrasspreps' Staff, had almost put a toe tag on Walton-Verona following their 0-4 start. The Bearcats though got new life as they upset #8 Lexington Christian Academy and handed the Eagles their first loss of the season.Walton-Verona finally found the sweet spot between their inconsistent offense and shaky Defense to limit the explosive Eagles to 27 points.

Walton-Verona is a scary team if they can find their footing and gain confidence. Sitting in Region 3-District 5 they have the potential honor of hosting the playoffs if they are able to secure a District Title. Let's see how they do now that their season has been resuscitated.

This Week's Diagnosis

- The matchup that gets rushed to the front of the line will be Owensboro Catholic and Butler County duking it out for District 2 Supremacy. This matchup will also tell us who the top QB in 2A is as well.

- Mayfield's M.A.S.H. unit plays a rare mid-season Neutral site game at Lindsey Wilson College vs. a ranked 3A Corbin team. Outside of Bright the Cardinals have some additional bumps and bruises on Defense and Corbin is a team desperate for some momentum.

- Lloyd Memorial hosts a ranked 3A Garrard County team. The Juggs Non-District schedule was significantly upgraded and this will be another nice piece of prep work to prepare them ultimately for Newport Central Catholic.

- In a battle of two proud Western Kentucky teams who are firmly under the radar as Title Contenders Murray travels to 1A Russellville. These are two physical and talented teams and for someone needing a game to watch, this is one I would highly recommend.

The winner of OC and Butler may be a contender .OC is scary good off and plays ok def Butler co may have the best player in 2a in King Rex he does it all if his mind set is right he can control a game and remember in middle school butler beat Mayfield .i know it was middle school but they weren't supposed to beat MF then and butler has a lot of other pieces .they need to let coach Lloyd coach defense he was middle school coach then and MF HAD MR BRIGHT .

The winner of OC and Butler may be a contender .OC is scary good off and plays ok def Butler co may have the best player in 2a in King Rex he does it all if his mind set is right he can control a game and remember in middle school butler beat Mayfield .i know it was middle school but they weren't supposed to beat MF then and butler has a lot of other pieces .they need to let coach Lloyd coach defense he was middle school coach then and MF HAD MR BRIGHT .

OC is the real deal as is Henderson but the mention of a 8-0 win over MF in middle school is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on here