NCAA Men's Basketball Rule Change - You Decide

KingOfClutch33

I don't know if there is another thread already started about this topic but I was thinking about how I do not like the one and done rule in college basketball and think it should be changed. I offer this forum up to you all, what rule do you like or would you like to see implemented?

Do you like the one and done?

Would you do something different?

Note: I am a UK fan and like how Cal gets the best, but still not a fan of the rule.

My solution would be this: The rule is that if a player wants to enter the NBA straight from high school then that is acceptable. However, if a player decides to go to college then they have to stay a mandatory two years. I look at this from the academic part also. If a student is in college for two full years then they are able to complete 95-100% of their General Education requirements and if they then go pro would only have to focus on classes in their major if they choose to come back to school.

What say you?

Posted this in the other thread, so I'll repost it here:

On the rule change, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like it right where it is. I'd hate to see them force these kids stay in school for 2-3 years if they are talented enough to go make money.

I'm selfish enough to admit that I don't want to see them go back to allowing kids to jump right to the NBA. I really enjoy watching that talent in college. Would I want them to stay longer than one year? Absolutely, but I don't want to force them more than one.

That one year of college helps prepare them more I think and I'd be willing to bet a bigger % go back and work towards their degree later in life than those that used to jump directly.

I hate college basketball's status as a tryout for the NBA. I can live with the rules as they are but I'd much prefer either a developmental system or a system of lower leagues to serve as the place those tryouts are conducted. Let them earn a living while prepping for the big show rather than this insane system of ludicrous amateurism we're still clinging to from the 19th century.

I hate college basketball's status as a tryout for the NBA. I can live with the rules as they are but I'd much prefer either a developmental system or a system of lower leagues to serve as the place those tryouts are conducted. Let them earn a living while prepping for the big show rather than this insane system of ludicrous amateurism we're still clinging to from the 19th century.

This.

I think adopting something similar to baseball would be good.

I think adopting something similar to baseball would be good.

I'd like to go a little further and make the other leagues fully independent, rather than a farm system (mostly because there are few things more pointless to see in person than a minor league baseball game unless you're a fan of the parent club), but that's definitely an improvement.

I'd like to see some numbers. Is there a higher number of "busts"?

I have this issue of why should athletes be held to a standard that other students don't. They already work for free while universities make millions.

I'd like to see some numbers. Is there a higher number of "busts"?

I have this issue of why should athletes be held to a standard that other students don't. They already work for free while universities make millions.

This statement always bothers me, are they on scholarship? Are they really working for "free"!

This statement always bothers me, are they on scholarship? Are they really working for "free"!

The NCAA and NBA have worked very hard to keep their mutually-beneficial arrangement going by setting the rules and eliminating competition where it arises. Part of that arrangement includes nationwide college amateurism rules which results in low operating costs to universities that the NBA is perfectly happy with because it keeps their 100% no-cost farm system churning out top prospects.

They're on scholarship, sure... but the system has been set up to prevent them from having the ability to bargain for anything more.

I'll never get the argument that would prevent players from going to the NBA until a certain age/couple years in college. There are so many great stories about players who came from bad neighborhoods with absolutely no money that have made a better life for themselves and their families (D Rose, Melo, etc.).

An age rule 1)delays the opportunity for the young men to make money and 2) increases the chances of them getting injured before they sign that contract.

I'll never get the argument that would prevent players from going to the NBA until a certain age/couple years in college. There are so many great stories about players who came from bad neighborhoods with absolutely no money that have made a better life for themselves and their families (D Rose, Melo, etc.).

An age rule 1)delays the opportunity for the young men to make money and 2) increases the chances of them getting injured before they sign that contract.

So how about a semi-age rule like I presented in my first post?

Students are able to enter the draft straight out of high school but if the decision is made to enter college they must remain there for 2 years

So how about a semi-age rule like I presented in my first post?

Students are able to enter the draft straight out of high school but if the decision is made to enter college they must remain there for 2 years

It sounds pretty good in theory, but I'd be surprised to what it would do to college basketball. On one hand you'd think the level of play would go down because the talented players are no longer there, but keeping guys in a system increases the level IMO.

Sadly, it looks like it will never happen.