What's Wrong With Our Modern Diet?

Watusi

Awesome article 2C. I want to highlight the portion below...

Like saturated fats, many naturally cholesterol-rich foods have also been wrongfully vilified. Eggs, which are actually among the most nutritious foods you can eat (provided they come from organically raised, pastured hens) have long been accused of causing heart disease simply because they're high in cholesterol. But dietary cholesterol has little to do with the cholesterol level in your body, and numerous studies have confirmed that eating eggs does NOT raise potentially adverse LDL cholesterol in your blood. Studies have also failed to find any evidence that eggs contribute to heart disease.

I lost 31 pounds changing my diet back in October. Since I quite "dieting" I have been able to keep the weight off by eating different. I eat alot of fruits and try not to overeat at all. I feel better.

I have not had a soda in 4.5 years.

thanks. It is a mind-set. Once you get it in it is easier to not overeat. Even when I eat out I don't eat as much. Nothing wrong with leftovers.

Same here. The wife and I have begun to share meals, or at the very least take a bunch home for the next day.

Now to just get rid of BMI as an indicator of anything health related. What an arbitrary pile of dung.

Tell me about it. My employer started an incentive program last year for hitting healthy numbers in cholesterol, sugars, BP and BMI. You can ace all of them but if you don't hit your BMIyou don't get the bonus. The least scientific of all the tests and it's the one everyone seems to miss.

I lost 40 pounds in 8 weeks this past fall by reducing my daily calorie intake to 1200 and exercising each day. I was never hungry and it's amazing how much better I feel. I still watch what I eat but I'm not a calorie Nazi. I've not had any trouble maintaining my current weight. It's a lifestyle change for the better.

I get that there are some problems with dwarf wheat, but it's hard for me to get too worked up about considering its invention is almost singularly responsible for ending famine in South Asia.
If you get a chance, read the book "Wheat Belly". It is an eye opening look at how wheat is ruining our health written by a cardiologist, Dr William Davis.